Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: rebuild intervals  (Read 5769 times)

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
rebuild intervals
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
Hey guys just wondering at what intervals you do the top end rebuilds on your bikes. Different people I talk to and different internet sites say different things so I was interested to find out what people here are doing. I did a search but didn't come up with anything even tho I am sure this would have been asked before. Also things like oil changes and stuff. Basically your maintenece schedule

So what kind of bikes have you got and what type of riding do you do and how hard
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:15:46 PM by chump6784 »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: rebuild intervals
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
I do a top end every 50-60Hrs.
The last one was not really needed but I would rather put a new piston in then have something worse happen.
My bike runs a single ring as well so I am aways pulling the pipe off to check it.
My bike runs at 40:1 Avgas & Total 2T Synthetic. Piston runs clean.
I change the gearbox oil every 20 hours with Bel-Ray Gear Saver.
I don't see the point doing gear oil more often in my bike as being a 300 I am not on the clutch as much as a smaller bike.
I mostly trail ride but the bike gets revved to the moon when I am in the mood.
I like pissing off 450 riders that think it is easy to pass a 2 stroke. :P
07 TM300. Brrrp Brrrp
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:10 AM »
how do you tell if the rings are worn when you pull the pipe off. i didnt think you would be able to see any difference looking from that angle.

i have pretty much got the idea that 50 hours on a piston and 25 hours on a ring for the 250, probably the same for my missus 125 as she doesnt ride hard at all. i have to keep telling her to rev it so it doesnt foul up

Offline George

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:43:18 AM »
Gear box oil really often, every 3 race meetings usually, the handbook says 5 hours on rings and 10 on a piston, but I change the piston half way through the season and at the start of the season, and change rings once inbetween doing that. Not sure on hours. The bike is a 2011 rm250 and I race A class mx, and do the odd enduro for fitness

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:21:15 AM »
2007 KX250
60 hours on piston, 30 on rings, 32:1 Lucas semi synth. & 93 pump
Case oil : I keep an eye on the window, when it starts to look a little dark I change it, usually 20 hours, unless I get into wet conditions, them it gets changed immediately. Lucas 10/40
 I ride South Eastern woods, Harescrambles, Enduros.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:18:54 AM »
Yz125. Piston and rings every 35 hours. Fresh air filter every ride. Oil every 2-3 rides.. Depending on how long the rides were.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
how do you tell if the rings are worn when you pull the pipe off. i didnt think you would be able to see any difference looking from that angle.

The TM ring has a reputation for wearing because of the large exhaust port.
When the ring wears I can see it next to the centre exhaust bridge.
I have a good eye for tolerance's and by rocking the piston back & forth I can see how much movement the ring has in the piston.
It's also a good way of keeping an eye on the piston skirt.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:05 PM »
I change them whenever I figure they need it-this typically works out to long before I need to-when I notice the power drop slightly or easier to kick over by a little bit.You sort of have to know your bike as this happens so gradually it's hard to tell sometimes.I do a ring change first and the next time piston and rings both.I change the gear oil every ride if it's hard,wet or long day.Otherwise,every two rides.Amsoil,gear saver or motul in the tranny.I haven't noticed any difference.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »
I don't keep track of hours. Maybe if I raced I would. I use ford's "play it by ear" technique. But I also do compression checks semi annually and usually ever winter I pull the top ends for inspection, even if they have been rebuilt recently. It's part of my winter maintenance regimen.

Like I said if I raced I would have a different approach. I was hoping to hit some D5 scrambles this year but my back and our finances just won't cooperate  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
It's hard to pick an interval.Same bike,one guy wrings the guts out of it at the track and the other putters in the woods.Or both ride the same place but one lugs it and one revs it.Too many variables to have a hard and fast rule.Like coop said,a compression ck would be your best idea to let you know when it's time-especially if you check your new reading first.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
I approach maintenance intervals from a perspective similar to Coop and Ford.When you have been around bikes a long time they kind of tell you what they need and when.Subtle changes in jetting and clutch/gearbox performance etc. let me settle in on a maintenance schedule for a particular motorcycle.

Offline downonmonday

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
I shoot for about 40 hours then I put a new top end in. I have an hour keeper on the bike that also has a function that keeps time for my oil changes, so I don't have to guess from the main time displayed. I just replaced the top end of my bike last month and the previous top end only had about 30 hours on it. It didn't need to be changed. I guess I wasted my money and time? lol
I run my CR250 hard at the track
50/50 AVGAS and 93
Maxima 927 32:1 (love the smell)
2000 Honda CR 250, 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250, 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Did 1 year of riding before i changed piston on my tm 85cc

Offline dk

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »
I picked up a used 2006 kx 250 showing 15 on the hour meter.

I just did the top end at 45 hours.  The piston looked great but I could tell that the rings needed to be changed after seeing how snug the new ones fit.  After doing the top end and breaking it in I noticed a big difference in performance. 

I was curious when people start thinking of rebuilding the bottom end?

Maxima MTL 85wt - I change the oil every 3 trips to pala, 1.5hrs a trip puts me at 4.5hrs an oil change. (Air filter every 2 trips)

Maxima Super M - 32:1 - 93pump

*I mostly ride just track days but when I can I like to race the local club stuff that Pala puts on.  I am a competitive Novice rider.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
I don't keep track of hours. Maybe if I raced I would. I use ford's "play it by ear" technique. But I also do compression checks semi annually and usually ever winter I pull the top ends for inspection, even if they have been rebuilt recently. It's part of my winter maintenance regimen.

Like I said if I raced I would have a different approach. I was hoping to hit some D5 scrambles this year but my back and our finances just won't cooperate  :) .

Yeah I see what you mean by that, but the 'play it by ear' doesn't make sense to me if you mean it literally. Because there are multiple factors that can manipulate the sound. When I start hitting 30+ hr mark I notice a small change in power (Jumps I usually hit in third gear tapped and land smoothly, I now have to give it a bit more throttle) that's about when I decide it's time.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with