Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Back to a 2 stroke project  (Read 5452 times)

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
Back to a 2 stroke project
« on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
I have an 06 crf450and while I love that bike , after borrowing a friend 00 rm250 I had to find a project. I found a 97 cr250 on craigslist which I ended up getting for $600. Now it needs some work but I will be posting pics tomorrow and thoughout my build. It already has black excels, asv levers, FMF pipe and silencer, and a set of renthal bars. ...I will post pics asap.
CRF450-------CR250

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
Re: Back to a 2 stroke project
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
I like your number!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
OK, after digging into it I found that the kickstart shaft had broke off the retainer and the bolt wedge in between the clutch gear and broke the right case. No biggie found one on ebay for 135 shipped, so now the motor has to wait.

Then I took the main frame out and cleaned all the gunk off of it, cleaned and regreased all the linkage, and cleaned the swing arm.

Next I tore the shock apart changer the fluid and had it recharged.

Cleaned up the wheels and threw on a different sprocket.

I still have the rest of the pile to go through and clean.

CRF450-------CR250

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Lookin good!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
Looking good.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 02:17:19 AM »
Anyone have a spare silencer for a 97-99 cr250? Also the rubber piece where the pipe/silencer connect? Goot the steering bearings greased and they will most likely get replaced in the very near future, the bars on, rear brakes cleaned and put on(waitinng on pads now), and the rear wheel on. Just waiting on the other engine case which will hopefully be here today or tomorrow(coming from Baltimore, I live in Southern PA) my fork seals, and bolt kit. Probably clean the airbox,subframe and carb today. Will post more pics later.... Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
CRF450-------CR250

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:18:50 AM »
a piece of radiator hose will work for the exhaust boot till you get the right part
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
The radiator hose is probably cheaper too. ;D  Now I need to find a silencer, the bike had been sitting a while and there are spots where the aluminium has holes(not sure why). And I just ordered a new piston kit for it. More pics later.....
CRF450-------CR250

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
it might have been rubbing the tire
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »
Ok, hit a little snag in the project. Got the whole motor together and bolted in the frame only to find out the shift fork was slightly bent. So apart it came. After a lot of bad language, some tools reaching speeds unknown, and some mental debates of just parting the damn thing out I cooled down and ordered some parts from ebay and a new gasket kit and some other things from Rockymountain. The forks were done with some new seals and oil, new rear brakes put on, carb cleaned, exhaust cleaned up, chain cleaned, etc. So two cans of brake/parts cleaner, a can of carb cleaner, three scrub brushes, 2 1/2 rolls of blue paper towels and I waiting on $50 worth of parts to get it back together. I'm gonna try the radiator hose method for the pipe/silencer joint, and order up a new air filter. Heres some updated pics while I staple on a seat cover.

CRF450-------CR250

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
Wow its coming together nicely!

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
Thanks, just found out my new fork guard bolts came in the mail yesterday, so I cleaned the guards up, threw in some new front pads, and bolted up the rest of the front end. Now I'm debating if I should polish the frame or not. My engine parts should be here by thursday, so I'm hoping to ride it next weekend. ;D Does anyone know the thickness of the Namura piston rings? I have a Wiseco in it, and its in good shape just want to throw rings on it while its apart. Will the Namura rings work with the wiseco piston? I know they work with pro x pistons. I am thinking ring thickness is all the same.
CRF450-------CR250

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
Nah, I'd just put it together, ride it, get it set up the way you like it. Next time you tear it down, or put new plastic on it, you could polish it up.
My goal would be, if I were you, to get it going first, then worry about the cosmetic stuff.
 I know it's super tempting when it's sitting there in front of you and waiting for parts, so if you have the spare time to buff it out don't let my opinion stop you. Just do the swing arm too, cause it always looks wonky when the frame is done and the swing arm is still brushed.

Offline crf721jrm

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
OK, just finished a little more. Pretty much as far as I can go till the motor parts are here.  Heres so pics of the mock up, polished up the pipe, cleaned the engine out(again) and some bent shift forks. Its come a long way since my pile of parts in the fist post. If the weather is good I can hopefully ride it this weekend. Oh yeah the pro taper grips suck, they ripped just putting them on, see pics in above post, got some renthal med. grips on order. :D

CRF450-------CR250

Offline JE97

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
Lookin good man!