Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2006 Suzuki RM 125  (Read 2353 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
2006 Suzuki RM 125
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:16:27 AM »
OK my buddy has a 06' RM125. He just had the cylinder replated, they matched up a wiseco piston for it, 2 hours on it and it siezes up, once it cooled down it released the piston. This guy has rebuilt 100's of two stroke motors. After tear down the piston crown had severe pitting and scoring on four points of the piston at equal points like an X. The ring was stuck like chuck. so he replaced the piston with the same piston, started right up, he did 4 15 minute heat cycles with no problem. his kid  rides it easy for 15 minutes, brings it back lets it cool, X 3. 4th time it locks up again. after tear down, which I assisted in, the piston was scored on the front, and the ring as stuck again, there was also shrapnel of an undermined source, embedded in the crown and cylinder head. after further inspection we found the big end bearing was toast, and are assuming the shrapnel came from it. So we are going to rebuild it again from the bottom up and I'm wondering what piston you guys recommend, we would like to find a twin ring piston, but it looks as if that is not an option for this model. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we are both YAmaha and Kawi guys.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Suzuki RM 125
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
Since it sounds like the seizures were caused my by the lower bearings failing, why do you want to switch piston brands? A lot of Wossner pistons are dual ring, but after a quick search the only pictures I found of Wossner RM125 pistons were single also. So I guess I can't really help, I am just curious why you think the piston was at fault?  :)
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Suzuki RM 125
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
I don't think the piston was at fault, we both just would prefer to use a dual ring piston in it. We are both coming up with nothing but single rings for this model as well.
Also when I inspected the cylinder I noticed two, what look to me like chips, in the plating, about 1mm in diameter, almost identical, and evenly spaced,  on either side of the exhaust port. But the rest of the cylinder walls looked fine with no scoring or weirdness.
I have never heard of and can't remember the name of the company he used to replate the cylinder. Nor am I intimately familiar with the RM line and am not sure if they are meant to be there or are the result of poor plating.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.