Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Hey Mad.. what do you think of.....  (Read 7020 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Hey Mad.. what do you think of.....
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
Check this out from Dick's...

http://www.dicksracing.com/motorcycle_performance/2-stroke

What do you think??
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Recovered

Re: Hey Mad.. what do you think of.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:12:41 AM »
I couldn't find any more info in the 2T carb mods section. Here is the problems I see. Cost. You already need a carb. If you don't have the Kehein, you need to fork out another 275. Now you are at the cost  (actually more) of the PSI carb. It will still have jets. It is not a true 3 circuit carb. If they bore the carb out (which is a good idea), and install a plate or blade in the carb, IMO, they are doing it incorrectly. So does ScaryFast with the Power Now. The blade should be in the reed side of the carb, not the air box side of the carb.

If you are serious about HP and tuneability, the PSI is still the best I have seen.

rb-designs.com has carb mods for less and I have seen his work. It is top notch.

I'm not thrilled with the external jet mounted in the back of the carb. It does work. But it still is not a true 3 circuit carb, and if you don't correct the idle and needle circuits, it will be dead rich.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:14:16 AM »
i had this done to the carb on my '99 KTM 380SX. i mainly ride MX and the problem i had was when landing from a jump the brass fitting on the bottom of the carb would contact the top of the engine cases and it cracked the fitting and gas leaked everywhere. when looking at the bike on a stand there seemed to be plenty of clearance between the fitting and the cases but that just shows you how much the frame and engine actually move when taking big impacts. i ended up taking off the dial-a-jet as in my local (no elevation changes to speak of) it didn't really do anything. i think if you lived out west where you rode at different altitudes in the same day it would come in handy. i bought a new float bowl for the carb because of the cracked brass fitting. the bored carb did make a difference you can feel and of course i had to run much leaner jetting. Dick's does do very high quality work. i still have the bike (i bought it new) and it was retired from MX back in '05 when i got a '05 250SX. i still use the 380SX for the few trail rides i do with friends every year.

Recovered

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 07:22:33 AM »
That's not as much frame flex as it is the rubber mounts the carb hangs from.

Not questioning the quality of the work done by Dicks.

Your post proves my point exactly. The external main jet should HELP, regardless of altitude. The problem is, the rest of the tune up wasn't corrected to use the external main jet.

If a bike comes to me with one of those on it, I take it off. If you make the changes to get the external main jet to work, and the customer gets to look at what you did (or worse yet, one of his buddies, who is a guru whizz bang in gym shorts tune up guy in his own mind sees it) they flip their collective lids, change everything to what they think is right. Now you just wasted your time, and you get blamed because the tune up is off.

Offline admiral

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »

Your post proves my point exactly. The external main jet should HELP, regardless of altitude. The problem is, the rest of the tune up wasn't corrected to use the external main jet.

If a bike comes to me with one of those on it, I take it off. If you make the changes to get the external main jet to work, and the customer gets to look at what you did (or worse yet, one of his buddies, who is a guru whizz bang in gym shorts tune up guy in his own mind sees it) they flip their collective lids, change everything to what they think is right. Now you just wasted your time, and you get blamed because the tune up is off.
actually the "rest of the tune up" was corrected to use the external main. did quite a bit of testing to see how lean i could go on the main and needle and ended up running a much leaner needle too. i ran the set up for about 6 months. it did run fine with the dial-a-jet but not any better than without it and 'regular' settings. "guru whizz bang in gym shorts"? LOL

Recovered

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »

actually the "rest of the tune up" was corrected to use the external main. did quite a bit of testing to see how lean i could go on the main and needle and ended up running a much leaner needle too. i ran the set up for about 6 months. it did run fine with the dial-a-jet but not any better than without it and 'regular' settings. "guru whizz bang in gym shorts"? LOL

So, now I have no reason to doubt the tune up, because you worked with it. Yet, you still didn't see an improvement to make the deal worth while.

A 3 circuit carb WILL make a huge difference, but at a cost (money). I'll see if I can video my carb, and explain the basics tomorrow. Maybe John will post it on the front page, where it will get more exposure.

What I don't like, is the fact that neither John, or myself, will make any money from this. No, I'm not all about the money, but PSI will be getting free advertisement. That ain't right. So I drag my feet some. I'm sure john is (I am for sure) tired of giving free info. I just don't know how to fix it.

I'm a machinist and tuner, not a marketing graduate.