Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: harescrambles or motocross?  (Read 7379 times)

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
harescrambles or motocross?
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:10:49 PM »
Hey guys, id like to have some opinions on what type of racing you guys prefer, ive rode motocross tracks (never raced) and id like to maybe do a race or 2 this year but i love riding the woods with stream crossings and technical stuff with huge drop offs and such on either side where you have to be on your game, my friends step dad raced a harescramble about a year ago and ended up with a broken arm couple broken ribs and a concussion which kinda scares me but i think id like to give it a shot, what do you guys think?
2000 yz125

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: harescrambles or motocross?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
Yes, trees hurt. :) I'm still recovering from my collar bone/ribs/shoulder.
But it's all woods for me. :)

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
Im pretty young (16) so if something may happen i should heal pretty quickly, theres just something i really enjoy about the woods when its pretty technical, when im doin it im always thinkin "this sucks why in the world am i doin this?" but afterwards when we get where we're goin i feel like i accomplished something much more difficult than mx which i do have alot of respect for but i just dont really feel like its what i really want to do
2000 yz125

Offline Harley Elliott 594

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Im 16 also and i race both but go with hare scramble it may be rougher on the bike and body but its 10000000000 times funner than mx its give you a better challenge do what your more comfortable with but give both a try and see what you like...
TSM RACING 594

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
I raced motocross for about 6 years and loved it. Just ride motocross tracks for fun now an still love it. Did one hare scramble when I was racing, hit a rut on the lip of a bank at decent speed an got fairly flogged. There was no one around for ages so I had to ride a broken bike back to civilisation with a busted hand. I know I might sound soft but that turned me off anything like that. If I was really seriously injured it would have been a real pain to get back to the pits. On the other hand I have got mates that the riding on tracks and only ride in the bush

Offline mullethead774

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »
Do bofum. I did with one bike.  The only limits are your own.
2 strokes & mullets forever

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:00:23 AM »
I'm all woods, Scrambles, Enduros, the new enduro format is easier than in the past, and it's easier to get good results now that you don't have to keep time, just finishing in the C & D classes will get you good placement.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »

Yeah but we all don't have your skills Allen  ;D ;D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mullethead774

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

Yeah but we all don't have your skills Allen  ;D ;D
Da check is in da mail. :D  Thanks.  I don't think its skill as much as stubborness with me.  I hate to admit to defeat by an inanimate object. i.e., rock, hill, mountain, exwife, etc.  I see it in my grandson & realize how bullheaded I am.
2 strokes & mullets forever

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
That's a tough call... I raced scrambles for a short time here in the northeast US.  MX to me, scares me.  I'm terribly afraid of heights and awkward in the air.  I also speak on that as a experienced snowboarder - I dont do well in the air.

Anyway, Scrambles are quite fun, but you sure can get banged up in a hurry.  You'll be forced to ride over, in, and through terrain you may not normally want to ride. That was my case anyway.  In turn, those obstacles made me become a much better rider all around.

At 16, you're probably at a great age to do well out there. I was a mediocre C rider. I used to see some of the top 'juniors' lap me on my last laps.  Those kids are crazy fast and usually dominate the top 10-15 overall results.

I loved blazing singletrack and the varied terrain.  I hated mud pits.  I did see a lot of injuries out there. Not sure how it compares to MX in that regard.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
harescrambles are starting to sound better and better, now would a 125 be a viable option? Or should i wait til i get a 250
2000 yz125

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »
I think a 125 would be great.  Very light and flickable and I'd imagine it to be a little more forgiving with the power delivery.

The best mod you could probably do is suspension :)
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
Yea thats the route ill go first, im about 5 7 or 5 8 and 140lbs and the suspension usually feels pretty good but a little too stiff like on rocky terrain is when i can really feel it, any suggestions on the best woods pipe/silencer combo? Right now i have a pro circuit platinum fatty with and r304 shorty
2000 yz125

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
I figured id throw a list together of what i think i would need and would appreciate any suggestions on anything i may need or something that i have listed that i dont, hand guards, skid plate, pipe guard, possibly a different pipe, suspension set up for my weight and ability, and possibly a new gear set up (right now i have 13f with a 51r)
2000 yz125

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
Both are fun.The only thing to remember with scrambles is to pace yourself.Most MXers that do it for the first tame charge from the start then crap out.If MX is a sprint,scrambles are a marathon.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.