Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New here - Intro...  (Read 4296 times)

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
New here - Intro...
« on: April 02, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »
Hello all,

This looks like a pretty fun forum, so I joined up yesterday. I will likely be posting here and there as I can, so I figured I'd drop a quick intro out here.

My name is marc, I live in Massachusetts. I've been riding dirt for about 20 years, off and on.  My first 'big bike' was a '88 CR125 in the early 90's. I loved that bike.  Kept it for a number of years until getting distracted my other motorhead related ventures in my early 20's.

I've dabbled in a fair amount of motorsports, but I'm good at none.  Sport bikes, road-race/track riding, drag racing, muscle cars, quads, snowmobiles, and hare scrambles come to mind.  I like to think I have a knack for wrenching, so I've always loved the tuning aspect of any sport.  Two stroke MX bikes have always been a favorite of mine.  I hate-hate-hate the sound of late model 4 stroke MX machines.  I've tried to like them. Really.  I had a new '01 Yamaha WR250 for a bit - traded it for my current bike.

I've currently got a '00 RM250 that I setup for woods and scramble racing about 6 or 7 years ago.  I've also got a '88 Honda 250R quad I had previously resurrected from great disrepair.  Both machines have been sitting for 5+ years.  I've got the RM lit again, and am late in the process of getting it back on the trails.  The quad will be a later project.

Both bikes are a hoot.  I'm looking forward to getting back on out the RM.  I'm mainly a woods rider, but would love to get out on a MX track this year.  We'll see how it goes..

Hoping I can add something moderately worthwhile to discussions here.

-marc
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:04:19 AM by yo_marc »
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: New here - Intro...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
Hey a woods racer-sweet.Nice bike too.Still,20 years in? Pbffft,you're an old guy-like TMKIWI,Sachs and Opfermanmotors. :D
Welcome aboard anyway 8)
Pics and woods setup for your RM?
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 07:10:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum, always good to have another woods rider. Where are you located??
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »
Old guy? Where's my Geritol and we'll see who's the fastest and fittest here. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
I'll take that challenge,just as soon as I finish the walking cane attachment for the YZ. :)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Haha - thanks guys  ;)   Watch out, vet class sneaks up on ya quick!

I'm in Massachusetts, but the nearest city is Providence RI, which is about 20 minutes southwest.  I'm in Bristol County now, and formerly from the central Mass area.  There are not a whole lot of riding spots here these days, but they're there if you look hard enough.

Pics.. I had to dig around, but here's one I had of the RM online.  (You may have to copy and paste to get around Tripods anti-link mechanism).  http://members.tripod.com/yo_marc/images/rm1.jpg

As for mods... There is some trail armor on the bike - skid plate, bark busters, and some pretty weak radiator braces.  I had the suspension done by Factory Connection, put on a WER steering damper, a Magura juice-clutch, and dropped the gearing to 13/52 or 53 I believe. (+2 or 3, maybe 4(!) out back).  The motor is basically stock except for some 'torque' reeds and a Steahly flywheel weight; I forget what size, but one of the larger ones.  I don't care for it too much, but I run a FMF Turbinecore 2 when necessary.  Basically I tried to take the edge off the bike it in the hopes it doesn't beat me too badly.  But it still does ;)

Does anyone happen to be from my area?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:09:28 PM by yo_marc »
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »
Fixed the link.  Sorry 'bout that.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Cooool.Looks like my 99.You gotta like that. 8)

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Good looking RM.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:03:39 PM »
You live in Mass. Do you have any choice but to ride in the woods.  :P   Just kiddin.

Welcome to the fun house.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline yo_marc

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
True! The only 'dirt' here is the perma-muck between the roots and rocks ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys.
'00 RM250
'88 TRX250R

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
I used to live on the Cape. We rode in winter when there was snow but the sand had not frozen yet. When that froze we broke out the screws and went ice riding. This was back in the 80's and development has shut down all our former spots. Capeway Rovers in Middleboro was my favorite track. I see that Miles Standish state forest does not have riding anymore. Too bad because that loop was great. The scrub pines made a nice soft landing as I cartwheeled off the trail in the deep whoop sections. Good times, good times.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away