Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Radeo Suicide isnt going to like this one  (Read 5524 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Radeo Suicide isnt going to like this one
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
Amazing! Progress can be a wonderful thing.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:09:35 AM »
I would have figured the BelAir would have won, Boy was I wrong. Now let's see the same crash with a smartcar
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
 Somewhat of a shock, however, what I would like to see is Lincoln Continental vs. a toyota Prius. ;D

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
Timeless works of art do tend to be a little delicate.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
Somewhat of a shock, however, what I would like to see is Lincoln Continental vs. a toyota Prius. ;D

Great idea.
But make Toyota put ALL Prius through the test. :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
Cars are far safer than they used to be for sure.Still,it's a lame ass test to run a Bel Air with no engine in it-though the effect looks better.
A Bel Air would never crumple that way.Modern day cars are much safer due to the fact they have crumple zones that absorb the kinetic energy of the impact and pass less along to the driver-not because they don't crumple up.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:03:31 PM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:22:08 AM »
But isn't the Bel-Air body-on-frame, resulting in a comparatively weak upper structure compared to a unibody car?  Also, unless the engine is a stressed chassis component, wouldn't it just come flying into the passenger compartment, rather than staying in place to absorb impact?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
You're right but both body and frame metal is much stouter on the oldies.Modern day cars are designed such that the engine moves down and back in a front end impact-within reason of course as depending on the speed,the front end of the car still will end up in the passenger compartment.The problem with the old cars is that due to the strength of the metal,much more of the impact was delivered to the driver,modern day cars are designed to fold up and absorb some of that.In the video,just the opposite happens.The front end of the bel air folds up like a piece of tinfoil while the malibu mostly holds it form.It's hard to tell for sure but it appears there is no engine in the belair.It's a corner to corner head on but when you see the opposite side view that folds up as well.People have long said how little impact it takes to destroy a modern day car as compared to an oldie-and it's true-by design and for safety reasons.Something in that video just ain't right.A friend is in the process of restoring an old chevelle and the difference in the thickness,strength and quality of the metal is astounding.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
I was driving my vintage International 4 by 4 (Clyde) when a lady in front of me jammed on her brakes to make an illegal left hand turn.It had just started raining after a long hot summer and the streets were really, really slick.I tried to steer around her but a jaywalker took advantage of the situation to dart across traffic in front of us and I had no where to go.Clyde was sliding like it was black ice and I had no choice but to point the cornbinder at the *ss end of that late model mid sized domestic car.

The International's bumper slid over top of the car's bumper and drove the trunk ornament up to the car's back window.There was NO impact and I may as well have been driving into a cardboard box.I jumped out and ran up to the lady to make sure she was o.k..She was crying,wearing a neck brace and said her husband was going to kill her as that was the second car she had written off that month.

I walked back to my truck and observed the only damage to my vehicle was one slightly bent bumper bracket. :-X
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:44:08 AM by SachsGS »

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 04:54:25 AM »
Cool truck.One of my customers used to have one.He was an old fella and the truck was immaculate.I'm not sure what became of it when he died.Likely a young relative got hold of it and beat it to death in a pit.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 05:06:34 AM »
I was getting gas yesterday, and saw a little Suzuki back into a late 70's Plymouth Fury(Cordova) in the parking lot. The whole back of the Suzuki was F'd, the Plymouth had a baseball sized dent in the front fender. And the girl driving it was Freaking out about it, lol, I guess she knew the insurance company would total it out rather than pay to fix it. The guy in the Suzuki was trying to get outta there, he probably didn't have insurance.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »
One more International story.......

A friend once told me about an "accident" his great uncle had back in the Canadian prairies in the late 1950's.:
"My great uncle was having a few brewskies at the local tavern when he realized that if he didn't leave right now the missus would beat him home and he would pay dearly for his transgressions.He fired up the old IHC pickup and headed back to the farm.In the distance he spotted a train and knew he had to beat it to a railway crossing in order to avoid armegedon. With that B264 six howling for everything it was worth he drifted through the corner and up to the crossing.

Alas he was a split second too late and something on the train hooked his bumper and started dragging him down the tracks.The cornbinder then struck a shack beside the railway tracks,shearing the building off it's foundation.The impact broke the International free and sent it spinning across a field and with that the great uncle grabbed a gear (and now quite sober) and sped off in the direction of home,spewing smoke and great plumes of prairie dust.The sight of that cornbinder,having looked like it fell 10 stories down a mine shaft,must have been quite something!"  :o:o

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
Hahahaha.Too funny.
Years ago when I had my 74 Superbeetle,I pulled in to a parking spot behind a new Toyota.While I waited for the GF,the girl in the toyota came out of the store,got in her car, slammed it into reverse and nailed it-into me.She started hollering at me first because she said I wasn't there when she went in to the store so shouldn't have been there now ;D good thinking.Turns out it was her mothers new car.She wanted to pay for my damage but as I looked it over I picked up my front license plate she'd knocked off,looked at a couple of scratches,then the stowed in rear of her car(bug bumper went over the toyotas) I told her not to worry about it  :)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
I did that in reverse ford.
Came out of a bottle store when I was about 17, jumped in the car and 2 beutiful girls walked by the front of the car toward the store.
As I was perving I did not notice the car pull up behind me.
I hit reverse and only traveled about 6 feet before slamming into the 'was not there before' car. :-[
I had no insurance and it cost me $500.
I always knew women will cost you in the end. ;)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough