Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Math and motocross  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Harley Elliott 594

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Math and motocross
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:28:17 AM »
OK so im sittting in math class and we have to pick something and apply it to math. Well i chose motocross and need some help getting ideas as to how i can tie it into math and some good ideas for a 10 slide power point. I need help thanks.
TSM RACING 594

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Math and motocross
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »
Engine displacement, gear ratios, rising rates, fluid capacity, fork air compression, rpm, hp, torque, ect. You really should have known. Rondo. :P ;D 8) ;D
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »
That's engine stuff.  If you want to do motocross specifically, then you'll need to look at speed, velcoity, angular momentum, going off a jump at x speed, y angle and z height, how far would you go, or how much speed could be lost going into a turn.  Things like that, however, it's quite complicated and you'd have to first start off making a lot of assumptions like, first assume you're in a vaccum :)

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »
More physics than math but I say do an example of a 30' double jump peak to peak (or table top, something with a landing face), 8' high jumps, bike and rider weigh 375lbs combined. How fast does he need to go to make the jump and/or what is the max height reached. I loved problems like that in physics class  ;D . Then you could just run through slides of a jump start to finish  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
Here's the amount of torque at the crank at 6000 rpm.
The bike is doing 20mph with a 19" rear tire.
Find the amount of torque at the rear wheel.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Than you everyone else by the way for the help
TSM RACING 594

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Only one really comes to mind for me. Age + MX bikes = PAIN.  :(
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
Let's all lighten up since this is a fellow 2 stroke rider. I meant my original post as some ideas with a jest. Some others had some better ideas. My kids try to use our boat and riding places we go in all their school assignments so I get that. What if we could help come up with an idea that not only would pass of as a math problem but would also get some creative points. Back in 93 my friend and I were fire jumpers on an XL250 at Unadilla (yes we got kicked out the next morning). The more we did it the more grass went on the fire and the barrel on the Ryder ramp was moved further and further under it. Angles, speed, weight, etc. He could do the math & then have fun testing it out. Just wear more safety gear than we had (helmet, shorts, and sneakers).
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:31 AM »
Cleaned up... Sorry if I offended anyone by removing their post, but I'd hate to see this place become just another flamer forum. Let's try to keep on subject. Remember, we're all friends here just trying to promote the two stroke dirt bike.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:33 AM »
Cleaned up... Sorry if I offended anyone by removing their post, but I'd hate to see this place become just another flamer forum. Let's try to keep on subject. Remember, we're all friends here just trying to promote the two stroke dirt bike.

I agree, and I would have done the same thing if I saw it.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »
Guess I missed it
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 06:13:14 AM »
Thanks coop i like your jump to landing and speed problem thanks everyone else for the ideas and i didnt mean to make anyone mador offendanyone... sorry
TSM RACING 594

Offline Larry63r

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
There is always the problem of "moto math". 1+1=1, 2+1=1, 1+2=2
Then you can get into "national moto math". How can a rider that gets a 1+5=6 beat a rider that gets a 3+3=6. When the second moto is supposed to be the tie breaker.
This is the main problem with the AMA paying points per moto instead of paying points per race. That is like stopping the Indy 500 at the halfway point and giving half the points of the race to the driver that is leading at that point, then giving the other half of the points to the winner of the race at the end.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
Don't forget everyone's favorite moto math gibberish:  450 = 250

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:01 PM »
Welcome to the school of mathematics with Davey Coombs. 

Davey "Hi Class.  Let's start some simple math, shall we?  First, who can tell me what 4+4 is?"

Student "Is it 8?"

Davey "There are two correct answers.  8 and 16." 

Student "Ok?"

Davey "Can anyone tell me what 100 + 150 is?"

Student "250?"

Davey "That's close, it's 250 and 450."

Student "I don't understand this math? 100 + 150 is 250, how do you get two answers, one being almost double?"

Davey "This is called fair mathematics.  It's not fair to just use the number 250 to answer the problem.  It's unfair to other people with the wrong answer.  To be fair we need to give those people a higher number so it's easier for them to guess."

Student "I have no idea what you're talking about?"

Davey "Listen, it's simple.  Let's say I got a pepperoni pizza.  I gave two kids each one slice of pepperoni.  One slice had 3 pieces of pepperoni on it and one slice had 6 pieces.  I should probably give the kid with 6 pieces of pepperoni and extra slice of pizza just to be fair."

Student "You just blew my mind.  Litterally."

Davey "Well, in a fair and balanced world we give some people double what we give others.  Its only fair."

Student "How is that fair?  That's actually completely unfair and unethical.  You are favoring one set of people over another."

Davey "Hold on, I don't know how to answer this.  Let me call my bosses in Japan and see what I should say."

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.