Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Any Chrysler/Dodge mechanics here?  (Read 8620 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Any Chrysler/Dodge mechanics here?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
I may have to move to NZ yet  :D

I'll be alerting customs if you do. :P

I'm bringing the mighty YZ with me.Be afraid.Be very afraid.  ;D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
Consider the "Touchy,feely" stuff a form of insurance,an investment in the future.When your partner has a mid life crisis you want to be in her good books. :-X :-X  

I don't believe in that hokey mid life crisis b.s. anymore than I believe women hitting their sexual peak at 40.Besides,how could she have it any better,she's got me.  :D

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
The time bomb is ticking. :o

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
Hey,what's that ticking sound? Oh,the H with it,it's probably nothing..... ::)  :D

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »
It is finally warming up. So on this list of issues:

1) Suckamundo brakes
2) Odometer not working
3) Battery drain when parked

I diagnosed #2 so far. After removing and disassembling the instrument cluster, it is the 20 tooth odometer gear that is broken. $28 freaking dollars for a new gear, that is only about 3/16" diameter!! I can't believe such a small piece of plastic is so expensive, but I want the odometer working again. I couldn't find a gauge at a junk yard to just salvage the gear out of it. According to the posts I searched on dogeforums it is a pretty common failure on the older vans.

Now hopefully later today or in the coming week I can tackle #1 & #3. I decided I am just bypassing that stupid RWAL because that also seems like a common headache on the B250's.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
Disconnect the positive terminal on your battery and hook a multimeter(set on amps) from the cable to the terminal to read your draw.Then start pulling fuses until the draw drops.At least this narrows it down to which circuit is the problem.Make sure your dome light is shut off before hand otherwise you'll show a large draw from the open door activating the dome light.I'm always happy with anything under about .2 A .Anything over that and you'll have issues.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2011, 08:06:47 AM »
Thanks. I read that technique online and planned to use it. Nice to see someone else suggest it as a viable diagnostic technique. This drain is pretty large as it will completely drain a new battery in just a few hours while it sits. I don't know if a dome light would do that would it? I drove it home 2 hrs without issue, went out 3 hours later to start it to move it, dead. Checked the battery it was 0V, 0% so I bought a new battery and the same thing happened. Now I don't have a battery hooked up until I can find the culprit. Stupid Dodges  ;D .

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
Wow,that is a large draw.I only mention the dome light as many people have been stung chasing a draw and the dome light buggered up the readings while there was nothing wrong with that circuit.Typically,the fuses are under the dash so you have the door open to pull the fuses.The door switch closes the dome/courtesy circuit when open which shows a draw on the meter.Just make sure your door is closed when checking your readings.Also be aware that most meters are fused at about 10A so if you happen to pull your headlights on while in "test" mode you may blow the fuse in your meter.
I'd still ck with the fuse method but with that large of draw,the alternator is a possibility as well.You can try charging your battery then disconnecting all wiring to the alt and see what happens.Sometimes when the diodes go it will still charge but will also provide an almost direct path to ground for your battery.
As for Dodge trucks and vans,they were always a little more simplistic and crude compared to a Chev or Ford-but also easier to work on and more reliable.A good trade off imo.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »
I was kidding about the Dodge comment. I actually like this van. And so far it has been easy to work on.

The fuses are in the glove box, so having the door closed shouldn't be an issue. Someone else mentioned maybe it's the alternator. I will try what you said and disconnect the alternator when checking for the source of the draw.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
I finally got around to checking the fuses with the battery in and the key out. The #7 fuse has about .5 amps draw. That 25A fuse is:

"Stop lamps, Cigar lighter, Buzzers, Auxiliary Heater and A/C, & Brake Module."

I did noticed that when that fuse is in and I connect the battery I can hear "something", it sounds like a light hissing sound or maybe a small motor running. When that fuse is out the sound is gone. It seems to be from the passenger side area around the engine where I can't see or that frame rail. I am wondering if my hard brakes/Anti-Lock light being on and this are related. Maybe that Brake module is bad? Is that a possibility for this battery drain issue?

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
sounds like it to me.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »
Possible but you need to track down the buzz.It may be one of your warning buzzers(door,lights etc) has crapped out and has closed the circuit consistently causing the draw.Find the noise(it may be under the dash on the inside of the van) and disconnect it and recheck your draw.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 05:03:42 AM »
Possible but you need to track down the buzz.It may be one of your warning buzzers(door,lights etc) has crapped out and has closed the circuit consistently causing the draw.Find the noise(it may be under the dash on the inside of the van) and disconnect it and recheck your draw.

I never thought about it being inside, I assumed it was on the engine where I couldn't see it. I keep forgetting that the engine is basically under the dash, doh! I will look today.

I have a BIG pine tree that got pushed over in a storm and a skinny little pine tree is the only thing keeping it from falling on and crushing my shed. So we are dropping it today. After that I was going to do some work on the van since it's finally supposed to be sunny and sort of warm.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 07:31:19 AM »
At the family home the house next door had a rental suite and one November night the wind started blowing.A young girl who was renting the suite was at home watching TV when down came a huge Hemlock tree.The tree fell across the corner of the house with a 1 ft. diameter branch puncturing the roof and coming to a stop inches from her head!She moved out that evening and I never saw her again. :o

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
I lost a pile in a windstorm late in the fall.I'd only started cutting,lugging when they got snowed under.I've been having a go this spring but now the blackflies have hit with a vengeance-bah humbug.Rotten buggers in your eyes,ears and nose.It's no wonder the moose go insane  :D