Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: If it's good enough for Homer Simpson....  (Read 3405 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
If it's good enough for Homer Simpson....
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
...it's good enough for me. http://springfieldfiles.com/sounds/homer/fishing.mp3

The snow is starting to melt away here and fishing season opens April 1st.The fly tying bench has been smoking lately-my daughter figures it's a useless attempt to outfish her and her rapalas,crankbaits,plastic thingies etc. :D The question is,does anyone else here tie and if so,what patterns are your favorites for what species?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:40:04 AM by ford832 »
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
Re: If it's good enough for Homer Simpson....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
I fly fish a little, but haven't gotten into tying my own yet.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »
the only thing I catch when I go fishing is a cold or a buzz :D
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:39:40 AM »
Lol.You guys don't know what you're missing-that's half the fun of it  :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
As a youngster I did a lot of fly tying - the Scandinavian family down the road raised exotic chickens and as long as I could out run the birds I always had a handful of feathers.I matched these feathers to Sportsman's cigarette cartons I found on the side of the road,you know the ones with the picture of a fishing fly on the back,and soon I was tying all kinds of Doc Spratleys and Royal Coachmans to name a few.

I still am an avid fisherman and one recent fishing trip to the B.C. Kootenays was particularly memorable,imagine trying to reel in a fly caught 1 pound Rainbow trout while a 10+ Dolly Varden is attacking it.

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
Good story.I think your trout run a little larger than ours :o
A number of years ago I was on the jungle cock eye hunt as they had become a protected species.I told my bro in law and said price is no object if he came across some.
A month later he called and said he found a full cape for a measly $20.Woo hoo,says me until he told me he thought that was expensive so never picked it up.By the time I got there,it was gone.To this day,I haven't forgiven him  >:(
To you still tie Sachs?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »
I don't tie flys right now but when the house renows are done I'll try to get back to it. Something I'm looking forward to is flyfishing for steelhead trout. :D

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
Fishing season here opens Apr 1.Typically,unless we have an unusually warm spring,things don't start happening until may.I'm taking the little one trout fishing for the first time this year.With her,I always concentrated on bass as catching them is almost a no brainer and kids get turned off easy if the fish aren't biting.Trout fishing on dries was always my favorite so i can't wait to get her in to it-and me back at it -even if she does outfish me. :)
I went a couple years without tying anything as I was too busy.It's amazing how out of practice your fingers get-and what you forget  ???

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
My problem right now is that I'm fighting nerve damage in my right arm and hand and I am right handed.It's healing slowly so hopefully at some point I'll be back in the swing of things.I live in south central B.C. and the fishing here (as well as the trail riding!) is exceptional and I know of many hidden gems.One river near my home (it is a creek really) at one point narrows into a canyon and has a pool that is full of Rainbows.I've pulled many a 2 to 3 lb trout out of that pool (I always return them to the water).

My youngest son was 6 at the time of our camping trip to the Kootenays and one place we fished was at the base of a waterfall where a river tumbled into the Arrow lakes.I never thought it would happen but I caught so many big trout there it got kind of boring.My little guy hooked,and then lost,one trout that was about 4 or 5 lbs.

Next time I am in Alberta I'll see if I can catch one of them there Walleyes. ;D

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
That sounds like an idyllic setting.I can appreciate hand issues,similar issues cause me to drop things and lose my grip or lock on to the bike controls.I can still hold a fishing rod most of the time though :)