Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: more 2 stroke winners  (Read 2235 times)

Offline graham472

• Intermediate
    • View Profile

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: more 2 stroke winners
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
7 out of the top 10 finishers are KTMs - you have to wonder what the Japanese manufacturers are thinking right now?

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:08:13 AM »
Not to be an arse, but have they (the Jap MFG's) ever really pushed the enduro / harescramble side of the business.  In my opinion, they've concentrated on SX / MX world.  Yes they modified their MX bikes and rebadged them enduro bikes to sell to the public.  But most riders prefer the MX version and would convert them to fit their personal tastes for the woods.  KTM has been dominating in the enduro / harescramble market for many years.  Just go to an enduro or harescramble and watch the sea of orange at the starting gate.  Thankfully, most of those orange bikes are 2 strokes...  Many have drank the 4 stroke Kool-Aid, and found the bike too heavy, and came back to the smoker.  They've realized the race is won on the last lap, not on the 1st...
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
Actually, yes, the big four have had more development in off-road than the press will lead you to believe, more than any of the Euro's, all the way back to the 60's.
   The first PE's were out in mid 70's, IT's, MR's and Honda had lots of development in their XL 250's in the early 70's, but they had to compete cc for cc, unlike modern day.
   The European bike's were just more suited for off-road. They handled better, power was correct for dirt riding, and they were dependable. All the riders with KDX, PE's, IT's that were around my neighborhood back then were always coming into my shop for frame repairs, suspension mods, good tires, Euro bend handlebars, and engine mods to be able to chug around in tight trails rather than hauling on smooth fireroads. These riders bought these because they were cheap out the door, but what they spent on tires, bars, suspension, ect. to make the bike right brought the cost well over a Euro bike's out the door cost.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:41 AM »
I once put a lot of money and effort into a Suzuki RMX trying to mimic a Euro bike but I never quite made it.I eventually bought a Maico and I was so much happier the blue bike. ;D