Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What it's gonna take.  (Read 3490 times)

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
What it's gonna take.
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
 The only way that 2 strokes are going to make any kind of major comeback is if you, me and every dirtbike person you know
go down and buy a NEW 2 stroke bike. Now, not when the new KTM with FI comes out, or when and if the Maico finally shows up.
The root cause for the decline of the 2 stroke is that we stopped buying them.
Money rules the world and when you vote with your dollars, only then will the manufactures put development dollars into producing new, modern 2 stroke bikes. Then they will pressure the AMA to allow you to race them.
PS.  buying a used bike off craigs or ebay does not count.
Show there is an overwhelming demand and they will line up to supply that demand.
The Jap companys will not let KTM have the whole pie if they think the pie is big enough.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: What it's gonna take.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
I agree But.
Lot's of people are.
Thats why there are new 2 strokes from TM/Husqvarna/KTM/Gas Gas/Husaberg to name a few.
Notice that none of those companies sound Japanese. :-[
To be honest I don't give a shit what the japs are doing at the moment.
If EVERYONE bought European bike's , That would do more to keep 2 stroke alive then buying a 6 year old NEW Yamaha.

P.S. I would love a new injected bike if & when they arrive. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
I agree with you, I guess i should have been more clear. I don't consider a 6 year old, "new" 2011 yz a new bike.
I am saying we need to buy the euro bikes. They are the most new bikes.

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
My other point is, without the japs on board the AMA will never budge.
I for one would love to see BUBBA riding a modern 300-350cc 2 stroke rather than a YZF tractor.
I am sure I'm not alone on this.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
I fully disagree. The 2-stroke decline was caused mainly by an AMA ruling favoring 4-strokes and the Jap pressure. The factory teams began requiring its riders to move to 4-strokes, and that's when the real snowball took place. 2-strokes were still selling about the same beyond 06, but the big 4 began limiting production, in order to drive people to 4-strokes. Honda has made it clear that they will produce and sale 4-strokes for company pride, regardless of markets and sales figures. Honda would just as well drop their dirt bikes altogether if they don't sell that many.

Offline pontiac252

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »
Marketing played a major role here.
Motocycle Aust. last Nov changed the displacement rules on lites and open class to a true cc=cc deal.
Now l have'nt seen any mention of this in any of the Aust bike mags.
The manufacturers are still pushing advertising dollars towards the fart bikes.

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
Indeed, cc= cc (regardless of stroke or engine type)
But propaganda is still brainwashing people to 4 strokes.
And to make it worse; they have influence to limit the amount of 2 stroke sales!

Most people are following believers in a big herd of blind sheep...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:04:36 PM by EJ »

Offline rookie

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
i reckon where there is demand, there's market

if more riders are feeling the pinch and decided to go back to smoker

thats when the manufacturers wake up.

when their cutting edge thumpers didnt leave the showroom
whereas those older technology YZ smoker or the more advanced KTM, euro counterparts smokers
selling like hotcakes.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
The pinch is already here. The grass roots riders and racers are mostly on refurbished 2 strokes. Top guys are still on 4 strokes but the $ will dry up. Waiting game.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »
Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »
I wonder how much 2 stroke business Wiesco has these days as well as what year bikes parts are getting the most activity. Just put a kit in my kids KX85 today.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card

Offline Twest

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »
I think it is a matter of time before everyone switches back to smokers. Im 20 and i see a lot of my friends buy four strokes and they cant afford to work on them plain and simple. ive seen about half my friends have to sell their bike because of a stupid issue that they just cant afford to fix so they sell their bike for pennies on the dollar. i mean if i blow my top end its gonna cost me $150 bucks to fix it, them about $1200 or more.

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
I think it is a matter of time before everyone switches back to smokers. Im 20 and i see a lot of my friends buy four strokes and they cant afford to work on them plain and simple. ive seen about half my friends have to sell their bike because of a stupid issue that they just cant afford to fix so they sell their bike for pennies on the dollar. i mean if i blow my top end its gonna cost me $150 bucks to fix it, them about $1200 or more.

This is what I am saying. 10 years ago this age group was being converted to 4 strokes. We all know how it went down but they can only hid the truth for so long. Back in 2001 there was no such thing as a "rolling chassis" for sale.  There is a market for both but if the 2 stroke is not available there are very few future riders. Doesn't matter how much they make off each consumer. If the volume is not there then the market dries up. At least we are at or approaching the turning point.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card

Offline monsteryz125

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
im 15, me and my friends ride all summer all day theres 6 of us and 4 of us ride smokers and another is switching to one this summer, its only a matter of time itll happen eventually PS i know another kid who bought a 4 stroke rode it for an hour and the valves went so hes also goin back to a smoker cause he doesnt have the money to fix it
2000 yz125

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always had 2 strokes, but never purchased a new bike.  I could never justify the price.  After a few "surprises" with some used bikes (and me getting older and having more money), I decided maybe I would treat myself to a brand new bike.  I always loved the Honda CR's and said, "When the bell rings, I'm gonna buy a brand new last year CR250!" 

That day came in 2007 and boy the reviews were harsh about that bike.  Slamming Honda for giving up on the bike, never getting it fully dialed in and simply re-stickering a model that hadn't changed at all in a couple years. I took a step back and thought, is this how I want to spend my money?  Am I really going to "reward" Honda with my business when they abandon all two strokes in 2007?  So I passed.

The KX, fell the same fate after that year.  Another abandoned mill that hadn't changed.  Even though I found some reasonable deals on 2007 models, I passed. I felt that someone like Yamaha deserved my money since just two years earlier they were "reinventing" their bike with an aluminum frame. But I was a Suzuki guy, I had owned two RM's, at the time Suzuki claimed to be supporting two strokes, rumors of an aluminum framed RM for 2008 were hot and heavy....so I waited.

2008...........drumroll.............bold new graphics.  Ugh.  Then the rumor mill was churning again about an aluminum framed 2009 RM.  SO I waited.  Drumroll..........................we are cancelling the RM250 line. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I spent 2009 considering if I should just pour money into my current RM250 to make it what I want, or if I should spend my money elsewhere.  At this point, both KTM and Yamaha were a bit stagnant as well and I just wasn't sure what to do.  But finally, in 2010, I decided I wanted a brand new bike so I sold my RM. 

As I was looking, I couldn't help but notice all of the 2008 YZ450F's, brand new, sitting on showroom floors for $4300 out the door.  I also couldn't help but notice the MSRP had risen on an even OLDER looking YZ250.  What to do, what to do.  $4300 on a brand new 450F, or  $7000 on a brand new YZ250?  And the "older" 450 was actually "newer" in ergo's, style, design, suspension, etc...  I really struggled and was seriously on the brink of getting a 450F just because I wanted a new bike.

Then I found the new redesigned KTM.  The choice was clear.  If I wanted a two stroke, I needed to support the people who build them.  It was a no brainer.  I never ever ever had a desire to be on a KTM, but I hunted down a 2011 KTM 250SX and happily spent $2400 MORE than the YZ450F's I was looking at. 

I'm happy to be apart of the movement.  These really are phenomenal bikes and I just couldn't see a 450F being my only bike.  I'll admit, 250F's and 450F's are fun bikes.  I've ridden both and enjoyed them.  I grew up in the 80's when a "fast" 4 stroke just didn't exist.  So part of me thinks these technological wonders are pretty cool, but then part of me knows that after a year or so - i would get teary eyed for the two strokes.  So there is no point in fooling myself.

I'm just glad that in 2011, KTM stepped up to the plate and continued producing smokers as if nothing had changed.  And I hope the big 4 are reading the writing on the wall.  People will buy new two strokes.  Then can jump back on board, or they can miss out.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R