Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A First Bike for my Friend  (Read 10216 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: A First Bike for my Friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »
I have to say, the new Maico really doesn't look all that different, especially considering that it's got Yamaha plastic.  The metal tank is badass, and that gives it some points, but I can't actually say it looks spectacular compared to, say, one of those new 350F-style 125 KTMs we've been seeing pictures of.  The main reason I like the new Maico is because it's a large-displacement two-stroke, it's got a proper steel frame, the numbers they've posted, and the motor looks awesome (cases shrink-wrapped around the internals).  And I'm not going to lie, there's some brand-loyalty and some bias to German engineering in there too.  Until the price goes down with years and (hopefully) increased production, I can't see myself buying one, though.  Their older stuff is just too cool and too affordable.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »
Why not get a 90's Husky WXE250? They have 6 speed gearboxes, big gastanks ,lighting coils etc., are reliable and not terribly expensive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
Points to Maico for making Yamaha plastic look good instead of just another drone in the b0rg army.  Just single ply color pretty much.  Honda just throws some red paint on, yamaha just throws some blue on and suzuki just throws some yellow on.  KTM is OK, they were good with the orange when they first started it but after this many years of it kinda gets old.  

So, not only did the bikes look too plain but again, they were all 4 strokes.  2 strokes were limited and mostly baby bikes.  Maico is the only one making large displacement, so had I seen a Maico at a shop I would have considered it and probably even got it.  I was out of bikes for like 9 years and was just going to get back into them.  I had no idea and was completely oblivious that 4 strokes had taken over and was very surprised by everything.  I was also surprised that people bought 4 strokes or even talked about them in favor of them, it was like a huge shock.  The last I was really into bikes everyone wanted a racing 2 stroke.  

So when I saw the army of b0rg at the local dealer ship not only did the bikes lack any personality, they were all 4 strokes.  I went back to the roots of the bikes I enjoy the most and the era of bikes.  Instead of buying 1 bike I bought a lot of bikes.  

Anyhow, I like the new Maicos, at least they put the Yamaha plastic to good use.  Still, looking at the new Yamahs, the plastic is not exactly shaped the same anyway.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:59:15 AM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.