Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico gearbox oil  (Read 5110 times)

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Maico gearbox oil
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »
Well this year it's eventually happening, getting a couple of the Maicos well sorted for a bit of fun during the summer.

Know there's at least a couple of regular Maico users on here so I'll put my trust in them rather than a lot of dodgy forums/websites.

So todays query is gearbox oil. I don't really need specifics about brands more what way to go e.g. good quality (expensive) modern oil or cheaper oil and change it more often, multigrade 10-40 or 20-50 or a heavier gear oil such as 80 or 90w, synthetic or mineral.

Any experiences and/or recommendations welcome. 

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Maico gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:35:32 AM »
I have been using Motul two stroke transmission oil, and BelRay EXP 20-50 as per recomendations from Selveraj N. from talking to him in the 70's. He claimed the entire Maico team used BelRay EXP exclusively in the trannys.
   Both oils have been excellent for me in all 30 of the Maico's I own, all models up to 1982, the later models, 83 and newer I would recomend the Motul.
                Paul

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
This comes up on the Maico list every so often and its pretty much a religious battle :)

I'm more of a simple man and so I use the same thing on all my bikes and have not had any problems over the years.  The 82 and prior maicos do have an internal chain where some ppl will cliam to use a different oil.  I use Valvoline SAE 30.  But like I said, I'm not reccomending you use what I do just letting you know what I use :)

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline MMS

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
Well I can see a bit of sense in the change in oil from 83 - 84 as the chain primary drive engine doesn't have such a large reduction ratio so the gearbox will be spinning much quicker. That having been said whatever is good enough for the pre 84 engine should easily be good enough for the 84 onwards engine.

Neither of the oils which you both describe are available over here so excuse my ignorance but are they mineral oils or part synthetics and how often do you change them in regular use?

Thanks.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
When I race my Maicos I use Silkolene gear oil and when I'm not racing I use 10-40 motorcycle oil in the gearboxes without any major issues. :D