Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 2 stroke observations from last nights local arenacross race.  (Read 5366 times)

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
2 stroke observations from last nights local arenacross race.
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:21:24 AM »
Last night at the local indoor race

4 strokes stall, often, and are hard to restart leaving the rider spent by the time he got it going again, everytime he was in last place.
saw this happen at least 15 times.

4 strokes are loud. You could not hear the 2 strokes over the sound of the 4 strokes. My wife hated the sound.

2 strokes we competitive in every class includiing the 450 A main. 2nd place when to a ktm 250sx

A fast kid on an 2011 150sx owned the 250 A class

Skinny kids could not pick up a spilled kx450f without help from track crew. This was notable because he tangled up with a kid on yz 250
the 2 stroke kid was just as bone skinny but was able to get the yz back on 2 wheels and lit it with one kick and finished 3rd, the 450f pilot when he finaly with help got it back on 2 wheels could not start it and the track crew dude took over and kicked about 20 times then gave up and pushed the bike off the track.

Offline Dirtsaw

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 2 stroke observations from last nights local arenacross race.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »
Sure makes me want to waste $9k on a pice of crap 4 stroke.  It's a shame people watch a pro race and listen to emig rant about all "the amazing power" these 4 stroke machines have then go out an buy one thinking it'll make them a faster rider.  I've always ridden 250 2 strokes.  From my quad days to my bike days.  Never been anything else in the garage.  So this year I bought a 125 to keep my 4 250's company in the shop.  I wish I would have bought one long ago.  It is so much more fun and I'm actually faster in corners.  Sometimes smaller is better. heh.  I'm racing it this year against them non starting piles called 250f's.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:58:59 PM »
I went to the arenacross national in Milwaukee, 3 times back when it was 125,s and 250 2-st. The races where very exciting, in 06 I went to a arenacross the classes where 250f and 450f,pretty borring and the 450,s where so loud you couldn,t stand it. I,m  hope to get friday and sat. off at my new job, then I can race the friday night supercross locally on my cr144.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
Is arenacross hard? There are a few local places by me that host them once a year just for kicks. What should I expect? I'm used to high speed big jumps outdoors tracks. I don't want to have to go out and buy an FMF shorty just for this...
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
just invest in a 52 T sprocket and you should be ok acmx

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
Is arenacross hard? There are a few local places by me that host them once a year just for kicks. What should I expect? I'm used to high speed big jumps outdoors tracks. I don't want to have to go out and buy an FMF shorty just for this...
Shorty is not necessary, gearing change will be
I'd rather be riding...

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
logs, big ones, at angles,
rocks, big ones
tires, big ones
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:16:53 AM »
That's Endurocross, not Arenacross.  No logs or tires to go over in Arenacross....

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
I went to a local Arena cross on the weekend and i was a bit dissapointed in the twostroke turnout.
Not one 250!!!! There were a handful of 125/150 but i think they were in the Juniors, it was hard to tell what classes were what as it was only a club event and not lots of riders.
I got some good video footage though and particularly a young guy who was hauling on a 125 til he went over the bars, i caught it on video too. Will post it when i work out how to get it from my phone to YouTube
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
Scotty you made me want to stay up tonight with that.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:02 AM »
Sorry it was a bit early for me when I posted yesterday, musta still been half dreaming. Eirther way 4 strokes are too damn loud indoors, it's worse than a freakin monster truck show.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
I thought the 450's weren't allowed in Arenacross anymore due to being too fast for the tight tracks?
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:05:24 AM »
Sorry it was a bit early for me when I posted yesterday, musta still been half dreaming. Eirther way 4 strokes are too damn loud indoors, it's worse than a freakin monster truck show.
Ya got that, especially when ya sittin directly in front of a triple and there always hittin the damn limiter and there poppin n fartin...........  :'(

Scotty you made me want to stay up tonight with that.
;D ;D ;D it may take me a while Andrew i not very tech savvy.... ??? ???
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline Shawn36

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
I thought the 450's weren't allowed in Arenacross anymore due to being too fast for the tight tracks?

That rule has long since been changed.  They went back to a Supercross-like format of a Lites and premier class.  At least they changed the rules about allowing guys to double dip so you're not watching the same guys race different bikes like it was for decades. 

And yea, if you don't know what to expect from an Arenacross you probably shouldn't just go out there and race an AMA event even on amateur day.  If you're talking some local organization putting one on in a small arena near you the track is probably just fine, but the real thing is the closest track you'll ride to Supercross.  The jumps are very peaked and the catapult is far bigger on the floor than it is from the stands. 

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
Nice to know.

And no doubt on the catapult in Arenacross.  I can ride fairly well, but never learned to really articulate the bike in the air (tapping rear brake).  A couple years ago I looked at that jump from the ground and was actually scared just looking at it.  I could see myself riding the whole track, but damn that jump looks so gnarly and unforgiving.
2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R