Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: First Car Stories  (Read 9169 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
First Car Stories
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »
So I presume most of you have heard of Top Gear.  Well now BBC America is doing a promotion where you submit the story of your first car, and then a couple of them are going to get read on-air, and the person with the best story gets to fly to London for a Top Gear Live event.  I don't know if they're doing a similar promotion in other countries, but the one I'm aware of is for Americans only, sorry guys.

Here's the link if you want to enter.
http://bbcamerica.com/shows/topgear/myfirstcarcontest.jsp

And here's what I submitted!
My First Car: Windy the Windstar

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: First Car Stories
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
My first car was an ancient Chevy 11 with a 194 cu. inch stove bolt six and three on the tree.It cost me $200 and repairs consisted of tin,pop rivets and roofing tar so that I wouldn't fall through the floor of the car.In my first half hour of my maiden voyage in the Chevy the police yanked me over and gave me my first speeding ticket.I may have exceeded the speed limit minutely for a brief moment,I think the cops were trying to tell me something.

About three months after getting the beast a guy flagged me down and gave me $800 on the spot for the relic.The car is now a drag racer. ;D

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
I always thought you were older Jetz...

94 Mazda 4v4 B4000
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
If it makes you feel better jetz, My first car and currently driving, is a 1988 Chevy Astro Rally Sport..LOL one of the most dangerous cars on the road:
1996 Chevrolet Astro frontal offset test
Lets see, things that have gone wrong:
Dash caught fire.. :-X
Broke the rear door handle 3 times, once today actually. :-X
The head light switch went haywire today and now high beams don't work. :-X
Exhaust fell off, so we cut the cat of and made it straight pipe out the side. :-\
Paint is peeling due to water based paint stock from factory. :'(
Headliner = junk.

Its an okay vehicle but the true shock value is that my uncle drove it 5 years with out tagging it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 01:37:00 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
The one thing Windstars were known for, was safety.  They said if you could keep the transmission working long enough to find another car to crash with, you were fairly well-off with the Ford.  I watched the same crash test for the Windstar and the Grand Caravan, and it was pretty clear that Windy won.

1999-2003 Ford Windstar - IIHS Crash Tests

They also had a pretty good array of features if you got a high trim-level.  Of course, Windy is the lowest trim available so she's pretty much a rolling warehouse with seats and a CD player.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:14:57 PM by JETZcorp »

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »
My first was a 1974 VW Super Beetle.It had no heater boxes and no gas heater.I used to have to scrape the inside of the windshield as I drove along in the winter.I also had to keep a propane torch handy to thaw the pedals as they went down in to the floor so if the temp was up in the day,they'd freeze solid at night at stick where you pushed them.Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.On the upside,being the age I was,the propane torch got used for other things as well,which is probably all that kept me driving it all winter. :-[ :D
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Depends on what you mean by First Car.  For me, my first car was a 1971 Kawasaki KE100 motorcycle, wasn't street legal but I drove it off road through fields a few miles to work when I was 14.  

If it's a actual car, I bought a 80's toyota pick up without a bed for $50 and drove it in the fields, but not road legal and before I was old enough to get a license.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:18:26 PM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
Technically, the first car I drove was this, when I was ten years old.  No shit.  I only drove it on dirt and gravel roads, no pavement, but it was still frickin' cool.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
My first car was a 1935 Morris 8.
I had my own vegy patch on the orchard and used to sell them at the gate for pocket money.
At the time the old man was into vintage cars and he had a 1938 Dodge.
He convinced me to buy this car ( I was 10 ) and learnt to drive around the orchard.
By the time I was 11 I was sliding the car around every corner sideways with no doors and sitting on an empty beer crate. ;D
When it was wet of cause because a Morris 8 is not known for it's power. ;)

And yes it was pretty good at high school for attracting the lady's.
Not sure if it was a sympathy thing or not. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
My first was a 1974 VW Super Beetle.

My first car was a 74 Super Beetle as well, orange. :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
When I was 15 my father bought me a wrecked 750 Honda streetbike.By the next year the CB was running and I had the quickest machine at my highschool.There was a humpback bridge in the local town and I would launch that ton of lard skyward trying to tabletop the thing.Used to scare the living daylights out of pigeons nesting on the bridge! :-X

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »
lol

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »
My first car was a 1976 Olds Cutlas. White with red half vinyl roof and red interior. It was BEAT. I was 16 and my uncle Keith bought it for me for $100.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 06:53:05 PM »
I used to jump my first truck.  It was a 83 Datsun Nissan with a rotted out body.  There's a small town called "Large, PA" which is right off 51.  Behind there, it's paved now, but used to be an old gravel road.  There's a rail road track there and kind of a small pond, used to call it "Twin Lakes".  There was  ahuge mountain of coal back there.  Anyhow, I would jump my truck going up into the pile of coal.  One time, I had a radio in my truck, it wasn't bolted down so when we took off the radio flew out and hit my friend.

Another time I was taking some girl home and I hit a deer with the truck.  So my front end was all smashed up and sometime later I was with some ppl and we were in this parking lot (Barvarian Village in SP) and one of the big street lamp posts had fallen down.  Someone asked me what happened to my truck and I said me and my friend Mark rammed that lamp post down one night.  Months later we were in that parking lot and this guy was like "Man yins are crazy"  I was thinking, wtf is he talking about, "I can't believe you guys rammed that lamp post down!". I started laughing I couldn't believe that first he believed that I did that and second he STILL thought I did.  I never told him otherwise tho.

One time went to get gas and there was no gas cap.  The tank had fallen down and was dragging on the road. Luckily found out before anything happened.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:55:10 PM by opfermanmotors »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
'76 Camaro w/ 110k on it when i bought it.  It had a gutless 305 2 barrel with a 3 speed standard trans.  It looked good, but at the time any jap 4 cylinder would beat me from stoplight to stoplight if they were manual trannys.  So I bought a '79 Z-28, built a street/strip 327 from scratch and put on a 150hp NOS kit.  No more problems with 4 cylinders beating me!!  Cops on the other hand.......