Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Update to the AMA Rule of the week!!  (Read 7548 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Update to the AMA Rule of the week!!
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »
Straight from Davey Coombs at MX Sports;

"Gang, sorry for a SPAM-like correction, but I just found out from the AMA's Supercross Series Director Kevin Crowther that there was a mistake in Friday's Racerhead #1 regarding polished frames. Ping reported that polishing frames is now illegal, but that is not the case. According to Kevin, the polishing of the frames was discussed but it was decided to not implement that rule for 2010. He added that the frame rule as a whole as well other technical changes will be discussed again this year as we prepare for 2011. The complete rulebook is available online at amasupercross.com

My apologies for not checking this out more, and sorry for any confusion it may have caused, I hope Ping gets the elbow grease out this week because he might have a lot of last-minute polishing to do at TLD!

DC
MX Sports "

We'll keep you up to date on the AMA's fluctuating rules as they come and go like the summer breeze. LOL  ;D
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Update to the AMA Rule of the week!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
But, the AMA still considered it!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
Because it makes so much difference on the track... They can go polish their brains. This is embarrassing. I cannot wait for the next rule. 
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Recovered

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
As is typical for these clowns. A decision can't be made before getting the approval of seven different morons, two freaks from the market department and all "big 5" manufacturers. In a word.......PATHETIC. Make a damn rule change and let the chips fall.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
To clarify a bit, this rule was written about by Ping on Racerhead, for those who don't know he is the Race Team Manager for Troy Lee's Motocross Efforts.

My guess is that the rule was passed (probably by someone at the AMA because of a knee-jerk reaction) thne when it was "published" on the web and the 10 "Disciples" got wind of it, a stink was raised and they called the AMA and made them change the rule.

It was a dumb, needless rule, but it goes to show who is ruling the "roost" in Pro Racing.

The above is my opinion and no clowns were hurt in writing it.  :P ;D
Life is short.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »
Update from Ping on Racer X site..

"For the record, I got that information from a very reliable source at Pro Circuit. The rules state that NO material may be removed from the frame or swingarm and, believe me, there is material being removed from the frames of many race bikes. This rule was set to be enforced until very recently. Still... my bad. Sorry for the drama. Guess my guys have some "polishing" to do. "

Life is short.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Just wondering, but why would they make a rule about not allowing race teams to polish their frames, I wouldn't think it would affect performance.
I'd rather be riding...

Recovered

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:10:47 PM »
2 reasons: more flex (something I don't care for) and less weight. The belief that aluminum frames are lighter than steel are bogus. 

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »
at 245lbs the Yamaha YZ450F need a lot of grinding and polishing to match the 208 lbs of the KTM 250SX..LOL
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:23:59 PM by 2smoker »

Recovered

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
They use titanium everything. They can get the bikes very light. Did you know or ever wonder why there is a MINIMUM weight rule!?!? :o >:( :-[

Just another reason to stay up late at night and go HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 09:24:53 PM »
There is a rule about minimum weight, why?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
They use titanium everything. They can get the bikes very light. Did you know or ever wonder why there is a MINIMUM weight rule!?!? :o >:( :-[

Just another reason to stay up late at night and go HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

The two stroke riders need to have change in their pockets? LOL Seriously, the AMA boards members should be treated like pedophiles in prison!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 03:40:32 AM »
There is a rule about minimum weight, why?

Because the factory's would use all titanium if they could and make a YZF450 weigh about 150 pounds. Even the frame and swing arm would be titanium, then the privateers would be ancient history.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:36 AM »
Just wondering, but why would they make a rule about not allowing race teams to polish their frames, I wouldn't think it would affect performance.

Just to clarify what the others have already said, before polishing some one could (hypothetically ;-) ) use a grinder and remove some of the aluminum from the frame before polishing. This would be done to lower weight (removing material makes things lighter) and to increase frame flex (something that Aluminum doesn't really like to do much of before breaking)

Remember that the people that would do something like this woud most likely replace the frame very often so as not to have stressed or broken frames.

This is something that can happen to an aluminum frame when stressed...

Life is short.

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
^^^^ I've seen pictures of a aluminum frame 98 or 99 CR250 years ago that hit a pole in, I want to say New Zealand.