Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: '97 vs. '01 KX250  (Read 7126 times)

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: '97 vs. '01 KX250
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
there are not very many parts that will interchange, the axles, fork tubes, swingarm axle, are all a bigger diameter on the 01. although they look the same they made alot of geometric changes to the frames, motor angle, port timing, trust me man fix up the 01 and moto it. Keep the 97 around as a practice bike.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »
there are not very many parts that will interchange, the axles, fork tubes, swingarm axle, are all a bigger diameter on the 01. although they look the same they made alot of geometric changes to the frames, motor angle, port timing, trust me man fix up the 01 and moto it. Keep the 97 around as a practice bike.

Agree, they may appear similar but there were a lot of changes between those years. 1999-2002 are all pretty similar, but the 94-98 bikes are different.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Burnt1Dragon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Excellent information folks!  Thanks very much  :D.

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »
I can vouch for the '01, I have an '01 and I really like it, I've ridden the newer kx's and I still like the 99-02 bikes better(minus the motor)! I rode a 98 kx 250 a year or so ago and noticed quite a bit of difference in the power band, the 98 seemed to have a more mellow powerband and somewhat smoother, my 01 hits hard but it dies off fairly quick, all in all I can't complain it always runs great when it is jetted properly.
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
yes indeed the 98 was a sweet motor, I hear they were a favorite among offroad guys. My 07 is really sweet after some tweeking
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Burnt1Dragon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
I can vouch for the '01, I have an '01 and I really like it, I've ridden the newer kx's and I still like the 99-02 bikes better(minus the motor)! I rode a 98 kx 250 a year or so ago and noticed quite a bit of difference in the power band, the 98 seemed to have a more mellow powerband and somewhat smoother, my 01 hits hard but it dies off fairly quick, all in all I can't complain it always runs great when it is jetted properly.

Thanks...  yeah, I often read or hear about the '01 motor hitting hard but falls off quick.  I haven't ridden my '01 yet, but the '97 sounds alot like the '98 you rode. Great info! Very comfortable with the powerband on the '97, but I hate the forks! It sounds like the '01 is an improvement in handling though.

Offline Burnt1Dragon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
yes indeed the 98 was a sweet motor, I hear they were a favorite among offroad guys. My 07 is really sweet after some tweeking

hmmm...  '97 powerplant in the '01 chassis?  hmmm..

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »
FMF SST pipe and powercore silencer used in conjuction with the Vforce2 reedblock will solve all the woes of the 01 powerband with out having to machine anything.
Be sure to protect your investment by using a quality metal polish/protectant(I forgot the brand I use, but I'll look later and post it) on the pipe at every wash. take it off and wax that sucker up, it's only two springs and two bolts, if you don't it'll rust up faster than you can turn a burger into a turd.. also repack the silencer at least every 20 hours if not 12.

Offline Burnt1Dragon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »
FMF SST pipe and powercore silencer used in conjuction with the Vforce2 reedblock will solve all the woes of the 01 powerband with out having to machine anything.
Be sure to protect your investment by using a quality metal polish/protectant(I forgot the brand I use, but I'll look later and post it) on the pipe at every wash. take it off and wax that sucker up, it's only two springs and two bolts, if you don't it'll rust up faster than you can turn a burger into a turd.. also repack the silencer at least every 20 hours if not 12.

Thank you sir!

Offline Swimr2DaResQ

• Expert
  • Awww Yeaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »
I run the SST pipe and silencer, and I really like it over the Gnarly I had on it before. The SST pipe definitely improved the entire powerband. I also have the V-Force 3 system. This combo has worked very well on my '01. However, I have heard some negatives things on the SST pipe and what it does to piston crown temperatures, I don't know the details about, but IMO it works great!  8)
"Technology frightens me to death. It's designed by engineers to impress other engineers, and they always come with instruction booklets that are written by engineers for other engineers - which is why almost no technology ever works."

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »
"I have heard some negatives things on the SST pipe and what it does to piston crown temperatures, "
run a cooler plug or get the optional lower compression base gasket.
I personally run a Gnarly on my 07, but the power is way more broad than the 01.