Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Bike Build  (Read 9790 times)

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Bike Build
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:32:39 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to the site, and am in the process of doing a build on a 2002 CR250 that I thought some of you would appreciate.  I was actually considering going to the dark-low power high displacement-side of motocross, even though I love the 2 stroke and absolutely loathe the heavy engine breaking of a four stroke, mainly because I wanted a new bike.  Being away from the sport for about 8 years (the military and cars) and a magazine reader you might say I bought into the hype alittle.  I had picked up this 02 cr about a year ago and it had hardly been ridden there was barley a scuff on the clutch cover, but the stock expansion chamber had a couple holes in it and performance was inconsistent.  Anyway I started talking to my neighbor (Robert Reynard of Reynard Modifications) about doing my suspension and I planed on doing my own engine work having some experience with it from when I was younger and racing alot my father and I had ported and matched the cases on all of my previous bikes.  After talking it over with him for acouple of hours I decided to let someone more expereinced with a case reed motor take the reigns on this one.

For the build.

I am having Reynard work my cylinder case and head, he is also reworking my transmission and will be re-valving and springing my suspension (forks and shock) for me as well.  I have completely tore the bike down and I am replacing the, suspension linkage, swingarm, wheel and head bearings.  I have also scotch brighted the frame, swing arm and linkage (it looks awesome).  As for the parts list, G2 Cam system Throttle, Procircuit Pegs, Works pipe and 304 shorty silencer, Vforce 3i reeds and box, ASV levers, wiseco crank and a YZ piston and a  new set of dunlops.  I am sure I am forgetting something.  I will try and post some pictures later today.

Justin

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Build
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:15:47 AM »
Sweet.I look forward to the pics.Hopefully you didn't make the same mistake I always do-forgetting to take a "before" pic. :)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
i had one of those and to me the old motor was better

But what seems to be the advice some tuners have said was to reduce the crank case volume since its to large

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
But what seems to be the advice some tuners have said was to reduce the crank case volume since its to large

For some reason, I think Honda might have done this on purpose. KTM has the same design and that engine is a ripper. It just goes to show you how much Honda hates the two stroke. That's my opinion.

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
I have heard alot of people bash Honda's case reed motor, but acording to Robert this was Robbie's favorite bike.  I will let you know when we are done with it what the final outcome is but I have been assured that a man would be very hard pressed to find a better running (true) 250cc 2-stroke.  It is my understanding (I have heard it from multiple people) that from 02+ Reynard's 250 was stronger than the factory teams.

Sorry I still haven't got pictures I had to replace the heads on a friends car, hopefully will put some up tomorrow.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:22:06 AM »
Hey Justin,

Sound like a great bike. As for differing opinions of which bike is best... that is best left up to the owner of the bike. What so many folks fail to take into consideration is that if a racer feels more comfortable on their machine, they will ride it very well.

As an example on the main site there is a hop up article on the 2001 Honda CR125, noted in the magazines for being the slowest 125 motocross bike, probably ever!! With some intelligent tuning choices, it was transformed into a very fast machine.

It sounds as though with Reynard doing the mods on your motor, you will be very happy with the results.

I have a buddy that absolutely loves his 2006 CR250 and one of the local pros is trying to buy it from him!!

Please share some photos when you get a chance.
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »
Actually, I like the case reed engines. Here is a link to a 02-04 CR250 kart engine:http://www.ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=90714 It shows how every year the reed cages change and how the Vforce 3 fits. Oh yea, also stuff that huge crankcase.

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
Ok having problems posting pictures, I can't see smileys either.

Recovered

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
I can't see my smileys either.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
I see the smiley... anyone else having problems seeing the smileys??

To post a photo there are two ways to do it...

The first way is easy, just click on the "Additional Options under the comment box and then upload a photo. Doing it this way the photo has to be less than 128KB or it won't work. To see the "full-sized" photo you have to click on the thumbnail or link.

The second way is to click on the "Insert Image" button above the smiley's  :D This will leave a code in the comment area, that you need to add a link to where the photo is on the internet.

The best way to do this is to use a service like Photobucket and get the share code and paste it into the body of the message.

Take a look at my Photobucket page to see what it looks like.

http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af58/Two_Stroke_Motocross/

To add a photo just click the share button above the thumbnail photo. This will open a pop up window with a couple of tabs along the top. Choose the Get Link code Tab, then copy the code in the "IMG for bulletin boards & forums" area. Then just paste the code into the comment section.

When you click the post button for your comment, the photo will appear in your post.

Please  try this out and see if it works for you or if you have questions. If a few people try it and it works, I'll make a sticky with the instructions.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:47:43 PM »

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »
Thanks John,

I will be posting more pictures as I continue the build.  We are hoping to get my gears back from "the guy" first part of next week and my cases and cylinder will be done this week.  I am hoping to have it put together by next weekend so I will have a couple weeks to get it tuned in/practice before our state series starts here  :)

Oh yeah I still can not see the smileys :(

Recovered

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
Mad Scientist can't see them either.

I thought I had spun out, hit the wall and caught on fire.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »
Wowsers.That looks too effin sweet.Can't wait to see it finished.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Cable Stretcher

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
OK, got it together this weekend, worked on it till 3am saturday and then until 1am on sunday, got to ride it sunday and monday.  I took it out to the track on sunday ran it through 3 heat cycles changed the jetting and BRRAAAAAAAPPP!!!!!  This thing is a POWERHOUSE!!!  The pull is unbelivable, (just so we are clear I am no where near the rider he is but) there was a canidae kawasaki rider there on monday and I was able to pull him up the finish line hill!  I still have the old plastics on it and have not yet had the suspension done, hopefully we can work it in this week or next.  I will try and get some more pics up.