Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Creating our own privateer racing team?  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Creating our own privateer racing team?
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:31:12 PM »
Hey, I may have just come up with one of the coolest ideas. What if we found a really fast rider, that doesn't have a team, but has a passion for two strokes, as great as ours, and raced for us in the supercross races next season, we probably could not get a bike together for this season, but, next season we could. Maybe enter him in the 450 class. I mean, in supercross, the 2 stroke has a better chance than in outdoor nationals. I mean, suprcross is all about showing off, jumping, and flicking mid air, it's a circus act essentially. What sport is very much so like this, oh ya, that's right, Freestyle, and what is the bike of choice for freestylers? The twostroke. I mean, think of it, a 250 two stroke is still competitive against a 450, in supercross, no one has really gone ahead and done it lately though, because pretty much all riders are factory riders, or near factory with their very fancy privateer teams. I mean, we could definetly do this. It would take work, but we could do it, look at the 2010 ktm 250sx, it produces only like 1 horsepower less than the 2010 crf 450, yes, I know, the factory rider's bikes  would be very modded out, and have much more hp than stock, but, we could use a counterattack, with weight savings. The 450 motocross bikes worst enemy, with only a couple thousand dollars, we could make this ktm lighter than 200 pounds, it is possible, because FMF made a KTM 300 under 200 pounds, and I do believe that the price tag wasn't too bad, I don't think even James Stewarts bike, even with the 150,000 dollars sunk into it(I am going on rumors here on the bikes worth) would be that light. Also, I am sure that FMF would be more than happy to provide at least a pipe and silencer for us. Also, we could all send out our rider's sponsorship video to as many companies as we can, tell them that this rider is trying to qualify for a supercross main, and explain that people crave that two stroke sound, and that it would attract a LOT of attention. We could write into all the magazines and talk about our rider entering the supercross races, free advertising, and I have gotten my letter in before, but, then again, maybe a more experienced writer would write it. We could post progress videos of our rider on youtube, talk about him on all different dirtbiking sites, create posters and post them on the billboards of our loacl tracks. Just in general make a huge stir, and tell as many people as we can about this upcoming racer for the 2011 supercross racer. We could call the team twostrokemotocross.com, maybe a fraction of the sites income could go toward the rider, if something like this were to happen, I know i would buy piles of shirts, not that I won't already. So, what do you guys think, me living in Canada, I don't know that I would be able to attend all the races, but, I could help the racer out with maybe the outdoor nationals in canada, it would be a great debut for the team, and great practice for the rider, but wouldn't be as harsh and competitive(and wouldn't require as much for factory sponsorship). What do you guys think, you guys have any riders capable in mind?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline meger z

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Creating our own privateer racing team?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »
whats Sean Hamlin up to ? he go,s on mx uk he,s great . first thing to do is set up a pay pal account so we can put cash in to for the project, well done i say.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
I was thinking last night, maybe racing the lites class with a ktm 150sx would be a little bit easier?
I'd rather be riding...

Recovered

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
I was thinking last night, maybe racing the lites class with a ktm 150sx would be a little bit easier?

As far as I know, that combo is not currently AMA legal. Hence the problem.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
It isn't? why not? The factories are afraid that they'd get beat by a machine that has 100 cc's less than their machines, what cowards
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Yes the big problem is that the rules for pro racing are 125cc two stroke vs. 250 four-stroke and 250cc two stroke vs. 450 four-stroke.

Hondacrrider - you have a great idea there, but just so you know I'm working on getting something set up for 2010 in the Outdoor Nationals. Already have a suspension guy, an engine guy (who claims that he can get about 55 usable hp out of a YZ250 two-stroke) and a racer that we feel will bring us some excellent exposure.

Imagine the build up of the David vs Goliath type of story... even regular news folks could be interested in a story like that. As long as they are feed the entire story... that the rules were changed arbitrarily to allow double displacement for four-strokes and that the two-strokes have been "forced" out of racing...

It's a very compelling story, even as I write about it now...

Someone also wrote to me saying that there is a privateer that is supposed to be racing this years (2010) Supercross series on a 250 two-stroke. Waiting for a reply from the racer before I make any statements here.

What do you guys say... would you be interested in supporting a two stroke effort? What about something like getting a t-shirt or other swag for a donation?

Any other ideas for raising some money to pay for travel expenses (gas, tolls & food) and entry fees?

This is in the planning stages at this point so I don't want to talk too much about it...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline toon

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »
I would be down for a T shirt to support the cause :)
A good 4 stroke is one that can be switched from 2 stroke to 4 stroke, has no valves and is 2 stroke technology gone wild! Bring on DI 2 strokes I say!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
Hey John are v-twin 250's allowed, we could get a smooth 65 hp out of it. :) But I don't think the AMA would let you.  :o It takes alot to race as a privateer though. You need sponsors and dedicated personnel to run the race team.   

Offline ferrahount

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
Wow this is getting serious.
Of course I'll buy a shirt or maybe just donate some bucks to see this come true!
My heart beats every cycle, so does my bike!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
Well, while I love the idea of outdoor national racing, I think supercross, might get more exposure, but since you already have something in the works, I am on board, if you want, you could send me some raw footage of the rider, photo and video, and my family and friends are huge into photo and video editing, so, we could create sponsor videos, posters to hang up at local tracks, and we could create t-shirts too. Also, we could send a video to every single potential sponsor we could get, the more sponsors the better, we probably won't get huge money from these sponsors, so, more sponsors would help. Just tell us what to do, we will try and help.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
What about a movie on DVD Featuring 2 stroke bikes and riders ? Arenacross rider will be cheaper also...
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:21:58 PM »
This is fantastic news. I am in Australia, but i will do what i can to support such an effort. Would definitely buy merchandise to support a dedicated two stroke team. Would be awesome to see them do well. Definitely need information as it comes to hand on the progress of the team. This is the greatest news I have heard regarding any pro race team in a long time. Congrats to you guys for continuing to push the envelope and not let the two stroke die quietly. With the right support and rider, you guys will create major waves within the pro racing ranks, which has been needed now for a long time. Cant wait to see who lines up on a two stroke for the outdoors.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 12:21:21 AM »
What about a movie on DVD Featuring 2 stroke bikes and riders ? Arenacross rider will be cheaper also...
Love the idea, I was also thinking, maybe we could all contribute to the dvd, and it could be a fundraiser item, and, maybe, on the bonus features, we could have a two stroke song, but, not a song with guitars and stuff, but with two stroke bikes, from snapping the throttle on a 125 to a 250 two stroke taking off a freestyle ramp, to a cr 500 ripping down the track. This could be my before bed music, and warm up music before my basketball games
I'd rather be riding...

Offline motomike894

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »
I am not the best rider you might find for it but I am totally willing to do it all the way, I plan on racing Indy and St. Louis this year on my RM250, and would love to have the opportunity to race the whole series or at least the east coast series, either way I would love it and be all for it I have always wanted to race like a whole series but will never and have never had the money to do that, and especially now after just having first baby!