Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Motocross Girlfriends?  (Read 11904 times)

Offline knm29

• Novice
    • View Profile
Motocross Girlfriends?
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
A few of my friends and I were talking about how their lack of knowledge of motocross makes it so they are unable to talk about technical, broad or any type of subject besides the fact that their boyfriend rides a 250(which that does not mean much to them). Is this true for you guys too? And if it is, does it bother you that your significant other cannot talk to you about motocross?

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Motocross Girlfriends?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:32:48 AM »
Girlfriends, who needs them!  :P Naw but I actually like girls that don't know anything about motocross so it looks like I know everything. ;D
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
Actually, the fact of finding a girl who rides by itself is a miracle. I barely have friends I can talk to about motocross.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »
My wife has changed fork seals for me after my second back surgery, and she is really good at installing seat covers too... :D . She rides a 2007 GZ250 street bike, but when we get my nephew a bigger bike she already claimed his CR80 Expert and said I am not allowed to sell it  :) . Since I taught her how to ride he has had an 1994 XR80, 1989 RM80, 1987 Honda Elite 50, 2001 Buell Blast, and a 2005 Ninja 250. Like me, she likes to try new bikes and only keeps a bike a year or so. She does miss the Ninja250 though.

Here's a funny non-bike related story about how she is not afraid to do mechanical work. I was working at a Kawasaki shop and we had a VW Jetta that needed an alternator and I had to get a ride to work. I get home from work and see a dirty part laying on the porch. I said "What's that?" because I never dreamed she would work on the car. She said: "Hopefully an alternator. I called your brother, he told me where it was and what it looked like, so I went and took it off". LOL
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline DangisMX

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
"Hopefully an alternator"  :D.

But seriously, women like that are few and far in between. You are a lucky man :).

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:47:25 AM »
My wife has no interest in riding or working on bikes, I don't care much for pottery barn, We still get along pretty well.

I was talking with a friend of mine who has traveled Europe on a motorcycle, I said I had always dreamed of such a trip. The wife asked if we could make the trip two up, I said hell yeah! I'm getting her a helmet and we are going to start working up to it.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
i had girlfriens that ride dirtbikes,

and asked me a lot of questions and learned some mechanical issues

and after that they started asking difficult questions :))

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »
Haha mine will be racing with me this year in the VXCS, she is actually the one that convinced me to buy TSM. :)
She has seen many many bikes parted/serviced. She learned from being around it so long. :)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
When I met my future wife I warned her right from the "git go" that I was a motorcyclist.In the years since it has been relatively smooth sailing but I have some friends who have quit the sport due to pressure from their significant others.My advise would be to worry less about the lack of communication and more about simply being able to participate in the sport.Motorcycles are very expensive and they demand a lot of sacrifice to own them. :-X

Offline downonmonday

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
My girlfriend competes in English and Cross Country horse events, so she understands my addiction/dedication to motocross. She comes to the races and practices, but I must do the same for her. She unloads everything for me. Hell, she even hands me my gear one piece at a time while I sit in a comfy camping chair. She learned that 4 strokes are the devil and 2 strokes are much easier to work on.  :D
She learned that 4 strokes are pain after owning a RMZ 250 that is a money pit. After getting a CR250 she has learned that it runs no matter the conditions and a rebuild can be done within 2 hours. lol
2000 Honda CR 250, 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250, 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
should switch places.  ;D

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
I have always wanted a dirtbike since I was a kid, I would buy Dirtbike and Motocross Action with my allowance I think my first isue was in 78', my folks couldn't afford to get me one, much less afford to maintain it. However I did get to ride a few of my friends bikes growing up and the birtbike bug has been eating at me since I can remember. I put it on hold in my 20's so I could be a rockstar, and in 98' got to ride again since I was 15. That was all she wrote, I was determined to get a bike. I talked to my wife about it, and told her that I had been saving money for a few months to get one. She had mixed feeling about it and never gave me a solid NO, until I told her I found a couple in my price range and I was going to look at them. The result was her telling me that i could sleep outside with it if I brought one home.
She came home from work that evening to see the bike on a stand in the living room.
LMAO!!!
She hit the moon.
I explained to her that I drained the gas and needed to do some work on it before I could ride it, fluid change, and what not. And we didn't have a garge, so that evening after dinner she watched tv while i worked on the bike. Complaining everytime she'd get up to got into the kitchen that my piece of sh*t was in the way and stinking up the house.
Next day, Saturday, I took the bike outside and rode it around the property we lived on at the time. After seeing how happy it made me, she said I could sleep inside but the bike had to stay outside :(. Well it did take up most of the living room.
fast forward 8 years and 50 lbs.
It was time time get a new bike, I couldn't find springs for my weight for the bike and honestly, couldn't justify spending any more money on the 17 year old machine.
I brought it to her attention that I was going to buy a new bike with my share of the Tax return, she must have thought I meant a "new to me bike". But what I meant was a brand new, never started, off the showroom floor 2007 kx250r, and some essential mods for harescramble and enduro racing.

She came home from work that evening to see the bike on a stand in the living room.
With two big boxes of parts.
"How much did you spend on that? It looks brand new." she exclaimed
"today or how much will I HAVE spent on it by the time I pay it off?"
She hit the moon, again.
 She watched TV while I took my brand new bike apart and regreased and anti siezed every bolt, bearing, and cable, changed all the fluids, flushed the brakelines, took off a brand new set of Bridgestones and replaced them w/ Dunlops, cut the ends off my bars and throttle tube, installed new grips, handguards, frame guards, radiator braces, oversized tank, flywheel weight, and torque spacer.
She couldn't understand why I would completly dissasemble a brand new bike, and why I needed to put all that other stuff on it. why didn't you just buy a bike that comes with all that stuff.
 I explained, that they don't use enough grease when they assemble them, and if I don't do this now I will have to replace all of this stuff before I ever pay it off.
 The guards were to protect vital and expensive components from damage, and all this was to protect my investment, which I still hadn't told her. She finally asked how much the bike was, "$6200."
How  much was all this other stuff, "$1000"
She hit the moon.

Fast forward 4 years and $15,000 invested in that bike.

She has a 2007 rm85 (armed to the teeth).
My daughter has a 2005 kx100
my oldest boy has a 1999kx125
and the youngest boy a 1999 kx60.
we all ride now.

If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
Nice  :)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:04:20 AM »
nice story myck

Offline downonmonday

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
That's awesome!
2000 Honda CR 250, 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250, 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport