Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: A Gasket for Gas  (Read 7378 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
A Gasket for Gas
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
This is annoying.  When we re-painted the gas tank on my 250 Husky (about a year ago) and took it out in the spring, we found that the gas cap magically stopped working.  It just refused to be screwed onto the tank firmly and leaked gas all over the new paint.  Annoyingly, even though we used brake caliper paint which is supposed to stand up to insane heat and brake fluid abuses, the gas was just starting to eat away at it.  Balls!  Our solution was to just fill it up 2/3 and ride easy, and then put a new cap on after the ride.  We got the new cap - a high-end piece crafted out of a solid chunk of billet aluminum, and it worked perfectly.

Fast-forward to a week ago.  I go into the garage to check on (stare at) the bike a bit, and get the idea that I might as well check to see how much gas was in the tank after the last ride, which was almost 4 months ago.  I take the cap off, note that it's about an inch from capacity, and go to put the cap back on.  It turns about 15 degrees and stops.  More pressure.  Nothing.  Being the engineering type, I take a moment to examine the cap and the tank to see how it's supposed to work.  Satisfied with myself (and a lot of unavoidable pre-mix fumes) I remove the gasket to see if the cap will fit without it.  It slides on without problem, but the "slosh test" reveals that it leaks in this configuration.  I put the gasket back on, pry the cap on as far as it'll go, and do another slosh test.  More leaking.  It seems to me that the gasket is too small somehow.  It looks like the inside diameter is small enough that it likes to "ride up" on the cap and not go down all the way, which doesn't leave enough clearance to screw the cap onto the tank.  That's my guess, anyway.

What should I do?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

Re: A Gasket for Gas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Additives in the fuel have shrunk the gasket. Bummer. The newer stuff has a "bladder" like seal in it. Less prone to your situation. What are you using for fuel??

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »
I believe we're running Premium pump gas (from Safeway, no less), with Castrol 2T mixed in 50:1.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
Pump gas won't usually do that. But...looks like it might. I have no idea now except...make the gasket materiel out of something other than rubber. Possibly paper gasket materiel you can buy in bulk at Radke's or Baxters, preferrably in the same thickness.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »
Could it possibly be caused by the additive Ethanol??

If you buy a newer bike, that won't happen!!  :P
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
For what it's worth, my '67 Kawi's cap gasket is cracked and half-gone, but still seals the tank tighter than a frog's ass.  They don't make 'em like they used to, and even then, they didn't make 'em like they used to!

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
For what it's worth, my '67 Kawi's cap gasket is cracked and half-gone, but still seals the tank tighter than a frog's ass.  They don't make 'em like they used to, and even then, they didn't make 'em like they used to!

Ok, I've looked at this three times and I'll take the bullet and ask the questions.

1. Exactly how tight is a frogs hind parts????

2. Exactly how did you come to know this information??

Please understand...the answers that you give WILL be used against you.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
It's just one of the old expressions that's circulated through my dad's side of the family.  I guess the assumption is that the anatomical region in question must ought to be watertight.

Do you feel lucky, punk?