Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The insiders say they don't want 2 strokes back?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
The insiders say they don't want 2 strokes back?
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
That was the message told to us last year. But why is it, at every chance, retired riders like Langston, Mcgrath all say they would like to see them again. PC Mitch basically said it in the video. DV and Motoconcepts are running one. So who exactly is saying they don't want them? So when they say, we asked around the pits, does that mean, OEM's are the only one's in the pits now?  LOL
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
Re: The insiders say they don't want 2 strokes back?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Well, that's a good question. It would be good to get an interview with Davey Coombs and Jeff Crowther (I believe he's the AMA guy over SX) and see what their view is. IMO everyone else other than these 2 guys and the Big 4 want them.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »
Well granted, there are a few racers out there that really do prefer the easy rolling power of a four stroke instead of a snappy two stroke. But that is very few. If we let them all loose on 2strokes just think how many would go and buy a smoker for themselves.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline Suzuki TS250/185

• Expert
  • No Thanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
The difference between the two is really very easy to understand.

If you are good enough, you can make a nice living poo-ing around on a Foo-Booper...

Conversly, no matter how good you are you CAN'T make a living on a 2 stroke because no one will pay you to ride one.

The Factories know that the 2 Strokes are selling uphill these days, with almost NO promotion.

In their view, they have to keep pro racing 100% 4 stroke to have any prayer of continued market dominance, and it's withering away even as things stand now.

Thanks,

Jim
I think 4 stroke dirtbikes are a phase, kind of like "Glam Rock" in a way. You see the whole world subscribing to it, and you wonder how everyone could be choking down so much Kool Aid and Spam... Then 10 Years later, nothing's left but the timeless stuff from before and after..

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »
I thought the whole 4 stroke evolution came from California going to stricter emission laws?

99% of all serious racers will pick a 4 stroke over a 2 simply because its easier to go fast on. A two stroke doesnt have gobbs of smooth power and traction like a well put together 4 stroke. The unfair displacement rules dont help either. Im a 2 stroke guy untill I die but Ill also always be a racer, I look at it both ways.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:04:39 PM by snook620 »
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:29 PM »
"The unfair displacement rules dont help either"

ameture rules are 250 vs 250 so that excuse is out..... unless you race vet class then its anything goes, so bring your 5 hundo and get it on. :P

Offline snook620

• Professional
  • weekend warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:47:28 PM »
"The unfair displacement rules dont help either"

ameture rules are 250 vs 250 so that excuse is out..... unless you race vet class then its anything goes, so bring your 5 hundo and get it on. :P

Im talking about pro level AMA racing per the origional post.
2000 YZ 125 under construction

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:01:10 AM »
Good point Suzuki TS. You would think the factories would be "business-wise" instead of "pride-wise", and begin putting pressure on the AMA to make a 2-stroke change. We've already know they are making two-stroke machines and exporting them to other countries for street and off-road use(Not just Yamaha and Suzuki. I'll bet Honda is too). I think we all could imagine the impact of the AMA allowing the 2-stroke change in the petition and the Big 4 making 150 and 300 2-strokes. However, I'm beginning to wonder if the best class change wouldn't be 125, 250, and Open, like before. It seems more people want the 125s and 250s more than the 150 and the 300. This would also fit in with Europe's championship, and Australia's.

Kind of off the subject, but check out Villopoto's KX250 - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ryan_villopoto2/view/6330462
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:06:58 AM by burn1986 »

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »
I'm quite certain a direct injected two stroke could be as smooth as a 4stk powerwise.With some luck maybe we will see one in 2011.

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Good point Suzuki TS. You would think the factories would be "business-wise" instead of "pride-wise", and begin putting pressure on the AMA to make a 2-stroke change. We've already know they are making two-stroke machines and exporting them to other countries for street and off-road use(Not just Yamaha and Suzuki. I'll bet Honda is too). I think we all could imagine the impact of the AMA allowing the 2-stroke change in the petition and the Big 4 making 150 and 300 2-strokes. However, I'm beginning to wonder if the best class change wouldn't be 125, 250, and Open, like before. It seems more people want the 125s and 250s more than the 150 and the 300. This would also fit in with Europe's championship, and Australia's.

Kind of off the subject, but check out Villopoto's KX250 - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/ryan_villopoto2/view/6330462

Yeah, I agree, it should be three classes again, and back to the roots of motocross. A 125 class, a 250 class, and an open class. This would best suit everyone, and continues with the traditional capacity sized racing. In my opinion, tradition within sport is vital to boost the sport's reputation and continue to grow the sport. This doesn't seem to matter at the moment with the decision makers.
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
You know, if the AMA would just allow a 125 class, this would at least bring us in line with the FIM. I have no doubt that the could find plenty of sponsors, especially if they relaxed the homologation rules for this class.