Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Had to dump another 4 stroke  (Read 6253 times)

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
Had to dump another 4 stroke
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:30 AM »
I had gotten my wife a DRZ125 for Christmas, but seriously, I just don't like 4 chokes for myself. To all those who like them, great.  But for me, I had to sell it after riding it 1 time and picked her up a CR85RB 2006 Yesterday. I'm gonna tone down the topend and give more lowend by putting blocks and stiffer reeds in.  8)   Almost there. Have 1 4 stroke for now still. CRF50.  
Current lineup:
CRF50
CR85
CR125 soon to be CR144
CR250 motor, CRF150R Frame making a super mini  
CR500AF
Still need CR250 05-07 model.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 07:57:15 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Had to dump another 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13:58 AM »
Sounds like a nice collection, minus the one F.  ;D

Offline RM250 Evan

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
Seriously the only good four stroke is the honda 50. That was my brothers and my first bike. 92 honda 50z with pretty much 15 years of hard riding on it and no rebuilds need. ;D Brings back great memories of me jumping over cans to see how high I got.
2007 RM250......RIP '92 50z, '87 YZ80, '02 RM125, and '06 YZ125

Braaaaappp!!! 2 Strokes 4 Life!!!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
miedosoracing for a 1st bike the DRZ125 is a solid choice...  I did that for my son as his 1st bike, (TTR125)  Yes he out grew it within one year, that's why I purchased it used.  And yes you are correct he then went to a YZ125.

YZ125 Evan memories of the CRF50's....  too funny.  I can still picture it now...  "Did you see how high I got that time...  I bet I was 5 feet in the air!"  Actually you barely got both tires in the air...  but it felt like 5 feet....  :D

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »
I will make the CR85 run better than the DRZ for sure.  :P  You can make 2 strokes run with more or less power where-ever you want. It's just that they are setup to run all top end.  The DRZ felt like a piece of crap to me. Seriously, felt like a chinese make except with stronger metals.  Of course, the DRZ is 1980's or early 90's tech.  The frame etc is the same as back then on the DR's. It is just updated on plastics.  Plus, like you had said, why waste time and money on something that you will sell again in a year, plus will have to relearn riding something all different.  I bought this bike for her one and only ever.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:14:35 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:53:54 AM »
dude, you have to post pics of crf150r/cr250r.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
I reckon, that would be pretty insane. When i first read it i thought it was gonna be a 150f motor in the 250 frame :-[..............then i re read it and went WOW thats mental.. >:D
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:20 PM »
I reckon, that would be pretty insane. When i first read it i thought it was gonna be a 150f motor in the 250 frame :-[..............then i re read it and went WOW thats mental.. >:D
The CR125 mini

My 125 mini was off the hook to ride, so much power for so little of a bike, but it was still rideable. I may still build another because I liked it.  The CR250 Mini will be the "CR500AF on the edge of too fast like feeling, awesome."  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:02:33 PM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline HS125

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
miedosoracing, 

what do you mean by putting blocks in to give the cr85 more lowend?  The reason I ask is, my son is on a '03 cr85 and just hasn't adapted well to the mid to high range that you have to ride the bike in.  I've considered sending the cylinder to Eric Gorr for his mod to increase the low end but I just haven't yet.

Thanks in advance.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
Ok, well here's what I did tonight.  I put double reeds on the reed block.  That makes it really stiff.  Then I pushed in on the reed stoppers, to bring the amount the reeds can move way down. Or in other words, reed blocks/stoppers. It will have basically no top end, but the bottom will be really good for a 85cc.  I compare it to my KE100 I had.  I'm sure there will be some here who will argue with me on how that works. But if you do what I say, you will see. When you buy "torque reeds" they are just really stiff reeds. I happened to have a second set laying around. But you may have to order some or something if you don't have a second set. remember, you can use old worn out one's if you have them, because they are sitting on top, and don't have to seal. Just pressure on bottom one's.  My guess is you will need to rejet after doing this mod.  Whats good, is when you are done and need the power, you just take the second set of reeds off, and pull the reed stoppers back to stock. You may wanna measure before you bend them from original and write it down.  But either way, no need to sell your bike and get a slower bike etc.
Above these cheap things, you can get your bike ported, and have the head milled for more compression, which will give you more lowend as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:07:18 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
IMO four strokes are good beginner bikes to teach kids and newcomers with (ex. really weak powerband, non-explosive power). So I have no problem with someone owning a CRF50. They are good pitbikes just to put around on, but for racing... Seriously why would anyone race a four stroke. Its a beginner bike. I can't wait to see that Cr250 in the Crf150 frame that's going to be crazy!
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 05:05:48 AM »
IMO four strokes are good beginner bikes to teach kids and newcomers with (ex. really weak powerband, non-explosive power). So I have no problem with someone owning a CRF50. They are good pitbikes just to put around on, but for racing... Seriously why would anyone race a four stroke. Its a beginner bike. I can't wait to see that Cr250 in the Crf150 frame that's going to be crazy!
I'll admit, they are pretty good beginner bikes. But my point in that, is that 2 strokes can also be made exactly the same with no topend and no exploding power.  Go ride a KE100 and you will know exactly what I speak of. We all are so used to only having topend bikes, because that is the way we personally like them.  But 2 strokes are very versatil.  They can be made with smooth power or peaky.  I have never rode a PW50, but they were the bike to have many years ago for beginners. They actually seemed to have a nicer takeoff than the newer CRF50's etc.  That bike launches out of the hole, and scares my daughter back into letting off.  The PW I think seemed to just barely go and then build up speed.  They just never got updates on suspension etc, then the 4 stroke ttr50 came out. The thing I notice about newer 4 stroke racers, is that they are becoming more of a peaky output. The 2009 CRF450  I rode, and came back and said, hmmm, sure feels a lot like a 2 stroke.  It has less bottom then the 05 I rode back to back, and then had a pretty hard topend. Interesting to say the least.
www.miedosoracing.com

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:54:30 AM »
The 2009 CRF450  I rode, and came back and said, hmmm, sure feels a lot like a 2 stroke.  It has less bottom then the 05 I rode back to back, and then had a pretty hard topend. Interesting to say the least.

That's how it felt like for me as well. I could not find the magical bottom end everyone is talking about..    :-X
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:52:51 PM by factoryX »

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
I think people are discovering that the proper magical formula involves a certain amount of low- and top-end.  The smooth, torquey powerband was what you wanted back in the two-stroke days to really go fast, and now the four-strokers are finding that they've gone to far in that end, and they're starting to turn back.  In a few years, something incredible might happen.  The industry will actually figure out that, indeed, Maico had it right from day one.  The two-strokes trying to get more low-end, and the four-strokes trying to get more top-end, are gravitating in that direction.

Alright, now, who's ready to kill me?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 06:43:33 PM »
BLASPHEME!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:08:41 PM by factoryX »