Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Superr Hunky article.  (Read 2740 times)

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
Superr Hunky article.
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted before.
http://articles.superhunky.com/4/121

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Superr Hunky article.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 04:52:12 AM »
Good reading. He is on our side !!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:25:39 AM »
I like what the author says about direct injection.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
I know Rick doesn't have much to do with that site, but anyone who hasn't read Monkey Butt should really consider giving it a read. Interesting stuff about the "glory" days of dirtbikes and MX. My wife bought it for me back when he first released it and I re-read it about once a year  :) .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »
I second what Coop says.  Monkey Butt is one of about five text-and-paper books that have been good enough for me to actually want to read them.  I go through a lot of books in audio format, but very rarely do I find something interesting enough that I'd turn off the Xbox, procrastinate on homework, and postpone visits to Two Stroke Motocross for.  Monkey Butt is on that special list, and by the way, it also happens to be at the top of it.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »
he keeps mentioning that four strokes cause more injuries but how. you mostly only crash if you push too hard regardless of the bike you are on

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
I think the idea is that four-strokes tend to make riders feel like they're more skilled than they really are, and encourage pushing too hard?  I've also heard they like to nose-over in jumps, which of course is why the introduction of four-strokes and neck-braces seemed to coincide.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Fourstrokes are more complex and less reliable then twostrokes so the chances of an injury inducing engine failure are higher.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
That too!  I imagine it's difficult to be injured by flying shards of valve and piston, if your bike doesn't have valves and your piston stays right where it belongs. :D

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:32:58 AM »
For those that are wondering about the massive injury increase with the four strokes, the biggest factor is weight. Sure they are "easier" to go faster on, so that is definitely a factor, but they really have a tendency to drive you into the ground, and the inertia plays a major factor in this. Where you can get a two stroke back under control usually during a fairly big swap, do the same on a four stroke and you are going down hard. Also, the four strokes are much harder to regather if you hit a kicker on a jump face etc. The weight behind them does you no favours. This was the biggest thing I noticed going from two, to four, and now back on the two strokes. You can correct and save a big mistake on the two bangers, but on the four stroke you just know you are going down hard !!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!