Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Would this be legal? twin cylinder 250  (Read 10554 times)

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Would this be legal? twin cylinder 250
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
First I can't imagine the general public ever buying into adding oil every month or so,

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 06:54:54 AM »
Oil injection always requires less oil than premix and in many ways is vastly superior to premixing. If a car were built using a 2 stroke, I'm pretty sure oil injection would be used instead of premix. So then you just one more fluid reservoir to fill - just like wiper fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid, differential gear oil, engine oil, gas, etc...
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline Helmut Clasen

• Intermediate
  • Helmut Clasen
    • View Profile
    • 50 years of 2 wheel sporting
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Oil injection always requires less oil than premix and in many ways is vastly superior to premixing. If a car were built using a 2 stroke, I'm pretty sure oil injection would be used instead of premix. So then you just one more fluid reservoir to fill - just like wiper fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid, differential gear oil, engine oil, gas, etc...

Why are you using less oil in a oil injection system???
 ???

3xSACHS MC-GS 250 1977
1xHercules GS 250  1976
1xHercules GS 350  1976
1xCan-Am 175 TNT 1975
1xZuendapp GS 125 19072-73
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
Let me first say that this is oil injection (an old precise method of getting oil to the main bearings) I'm talking about and not direct injection. Oil injection systems inject oil directly to the main bearings bypassing the need to mix the oil with fuel. They get what they need and that's it. All the old 2 strokes used to be oil injection and though it's been a long time, so I can't quote any sites for info, I believe I recall the more precise oil injection used less oil in comparison to premix. Premix was another fad that came along, I don't believe it actually has any true benefit but marketing has a tendency to lead the way. Granted I may have some of my facts wrong, so I would welcome any corrections. But then I look at it this way, even if the same amount of oil is required with oil injection you still have a non-diluted oil reaching the bearings and for the purpose of use in an automobile it sure would be a lot simpler for the end consumer to just fill a container of oil vs. trying to determine a proper ratio of premix in their 25 gallon tank that they just wanted to top off. But it would be fun to shake your car each time you add oil, lol.
The AMA 4 stroke displacement rule is simply the AMA's Rich Kid's Handicap Rule!

Offline grumpy

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »
Here's some info, albeit basic, from Rotax on 2 stroke aircraft engines.

http://www.rotaxservice.com/rotax_tips/rotax_oil_injection.htm

I think it would be interesting to see what is written on the topic that is not just conjecture & opinion as I see a lot of people who prefer to convert their oil injection systems to premix. But then again, I think marketing has a lot to do with as it does with the latest 4 strokes are better crap. I mean who wants to do oil injection when the top race MX bikes are premix. Then again I think (opinion & conjecture coming) steel frames are superior to alloy frames and I think 2 strokes are superior to 4 strokes and I think oil injection is superior to premix.

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
some other dual cylinder motocross

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:49 AM »
I love the little CZ 125 engine, that would make a good road racer if it was legal to use in 125GP. The rotax 250 on the other hand was not my favorite at all. I just don't like the design for some odd reason. I know the first rotax 250's had cooling and detonation issues, because of how the cooling system was run through the engine. That CZ on the other hand, I don't know much about.