Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 500 a/f question for you all  (Read 2779 times)

Offline westsiderippa

• Expert
  • win on a 2t your a hero, lose just blame the bike
    • View Profile
500 a/f question for you all
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:03:34 PM »
so this question has been bugging me for a while and after the 450/250 f chassis discussion in my MPS bike thread i just need to get to the bottom of this....... its about exhaust, and how you mount it. with all the different types of conversions out there how does this work. there have been many different generations of frames did you convert a cr 250 frame or a 450/250 f bla bla bla, so im assuming its as simple as when the frame is converted they change the main cradle to allow the head of the pipe and the mounts to work but do they change the location of the tail end of the pipe and the silencer? so if its done correctly you should be able to mount a true cr500 pipe up right? basically im asking this, i buy this fancy new sh 500a/f and smash my pipe, do i just go on line and order a pro circuit cr 500r pipe meant to fit a 2001 cr and it mounts right up? did i just answer my own question, haha!!!! im also curious about air box and filters, are they the airbox and air filter designed for that chassis? im also assuming that if you own a 500 a/f your parts, other than motor, would be specific to the year and model of the chassis, is this correct.

thanks im trying to get a feel for the a/f thing as i might be on the hunt for one for next race season.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 500 a/f question for you all
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:02:18 AM »
its about exhaust, and how you mount it
There is no standard way to mount the exhaust.  Like many
other aspects of the conversion, pipe mounting is left up to
the creativity of the converter.  If you look closely at the
SH pictures, you will notice a bracket welded on the subframe
that is there to mount the back bracket of the pipe.  On a
stock CR250 frame, that bracket mounts on the the main frame.
Many try to locate the frame mounts etc., so that a stock pipe
can be used.  That way you are not having to relocate the
pipe tabs everytime you need to replace it. 

SH modifies the pipe and silencer to work on their application. 
Since they have the volume, Pro Circuit and FMF fabricate pipes
and silencers to their specs.  When you need a new one, you call
SH and they have it.

also curious about air box and filters
The airbox is another sub assembly that needs a lot of work to
fit especially when using a CRF frame.  The problem is with the
distance and position of the carburetor on the 500 compared
to the thumper.  SH is now using "X" subrames and airboxes
along with an adaptor plate mounted to the front of the airbox
to relocate the boot.  There are as many ways to do this mod
as there are people doing it.  The filter would be specific to
whatever airbox you choose to use.

parts, other than motor, would be specific to the year and model of the chassis, is this correct.
That's correct for the most part.

dogger

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
I have a 2004 Service Honda, Still based on the 02-07 CR250R frame. The pipe is a Service Honda only item Like Dogger says. I have an account with FMF and they won't sell me the pipe, I have to buy it from Service, I don't mind paying the extra $20., i just hate to wait on the shipping (FMF is close to home for me).

Before I purchased my 500AF I went to a Service Honda ride day at Gorman CA. I was able to ride the newer 500AF and 500AFX based on the 250F chassis, As well as the older one based on the CR250R frame.
I love the gen 3 two stroke frame, It just feels like home to me. I ended up buying one of AJ's personal bikes, and love it.

If you need anything for the conversion AJ is very helpful, Just shoot him an e-mail ajwaggoner@servicehonda.com (you can't hardly reach him by phone).

I was going to do my own conversion but I didn't have the time, I sold my 250 and bought the 500AF and am happy with the decision.

If you want any pics or dimensions from mine let me know, I will do my best to help.

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
Mine has the stock CR250 silencer fit "into" (not out of) the a Gnarly FMF chrome. All stock mounts and no rewelds. I did have to shorten the front extender but that is it.
Also on a 3rd gen CR frame, I did not change the airbox per say (spacer gasket between boot and box to angle it different), nor did I have problems with the fuel cell hitting the plug.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:43:34 AM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!