Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The first Honda 2 stroke motocross bike  (Read 3359 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: The first Honda 2 stroke motocross bike
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
I've been noticing something.  Although they're still more unique from each other than today's bikes, don't these two seem to share a lot in common?  I've heard these two also had fairly similar riding characteristics, even though one was praised for being the best bike in the world, and the other was said to be the worst.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:46:31 AM »
Beauty of a bike John!
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline dogger315

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
I've heard these two also had fairly similar riding characteristics
I rode both of these bikes back in the day.  While the Elsinore was winning races
every weekend, the TM, AKA the widowmaker, was putting it's riders in the hospital.

Even though works Suzuki ruled the races, that info didn't make it to the production
line.  The 400 had the worst possible combination of a rubbery frame and a light
switch powerband - just think of the opposite of an open class Maico.

I rode my friends TM, and it was eye popping scary, and I don't mean scary fast.  It
was scary like "which way is it going to go this time when I pull the trigger."  That kind
of ride could never translate into consistent laps, much less race wins.  IMO, the TM400
earned it's place as one of the worst bikes of all time.

dogger

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »
Beauty of a bike John!

I loved the early Elsinores! In fact my first "real" race bike was a 1974 Honds CR125.

The article by Terry Goode contains more information than I have ever seen about the beginning of the two-stroke Honda's. Good stuff!

And JETz.....

Looks can be deceiving!!

:o :o :o :o

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:25:49 AM by John Nicholas »
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
It is odd that Honda would introduce such industry changing machines and then allow them to stagnate until the 1978 Husqvarna copies. Never did figure that one out.

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
Here was my 74 Honda Elsinore CR250M.  I purchased it new in 74.  I wanted a 125, but they were sold out, and didn't expect a shipment for another 3 weeks.  The 250 was ready and available...  (By the way, check out the trick bike stand).  This was just before I sold it in 2004. 

Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »
The TM400 was quite scary (although my uncle John had one and thought it was an excellent bike and didn't exhibit the light-switch thing at all, so presumably his had the wonky ignition fixed/replaced) but it doesn't make much sense to compare the TM400 against the CR400 Elsinore, because there was no CR400 Elsinore.  Does anyone have experience with a TM250?

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline Paul P

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
I have, real garbage on wheels. I tried a stock TM 250 and two with all the mods one day back in 73, all within 20 minutes of each other. I could not tell the difference between them, they all sucked. The bikes are born swappers, jump nosedivers, and you could not come out of a smooth corner without the thing bouncing and fishtailing. Of course, that is if you didn't loose the front wheel in the corner and go down.
   The only Japanese bike I liked from the 1970-77 era was the 74 YZ250, the first expensive one, and I still could not ride that as fast as I could ride my Rickman Montesa. The Jap bikes were way overrated, including the Elsinore's. I'm talking every brand/model year of the big 4 up to about 77.
  The TM400's had a cut crankshaft to reduce flywheel effect. The best option was to use the TS400 crankshaft with the TS400 ignition. That would help keep it from stalling when you chopped the throttle, much like a modern 4stroke. That didn't help it in the handling department though.
I had a magazine from back in the day where thay set out to build the ultimate TM400/250. The only parts that remained original was the motor and wheels. The motor had the crankshaft and ignition replaced with TS parts. The cost for the chassis and all the mods alone were double the initial cost of the bike, and it was still nowhere as good as a standard Euro bike.