Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New member, saying hi and looking for advice!  (Read 6678 times)

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
New member, saying hi and looking for advice!
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
Hello forum.  :)

Ive been lurking on this site for a while and thought I would join.  I love all the articles and insight here, and since Im snowed-in today I thought I would kill a little time boring you with my story.  :)

I grew up on a farm, and have been riding dirty bikes for as long as I can remember.  Started out on a YZinger, then a KX80, Rm125, KDX200 (really learned how to ride on that bulletproof bike) then when I was 16 I saved all my pennies and bought a 87 KX500.  That was in 97 I think... the bike was a former ice race machine, was bored, piped, had a beefy clutch, and in general was scary.  :)  The next year I bought a 93 KX250 from a farmer who bought it to check irrigation pipe.  He told me on his third ride it flipped on him, and that was it, he parked it in the barn and bought a quad.   :D  The bike had at most 5-10 hours on it, the factory rubber still had the tits on the knobs.  I still have that bike and am doing a complete teardown on it.  Here is a pic of Old Bess...

My last bike was a 2000 XR650R.  I know... heavy old thumper, but it was anything but slow.  I loved that bike for the bush, still don't understand why Honda dropped that bike.  The motor in my opinion was exactly how a four stroke should be.  Long stroke and bulletproof.  Too bad the rest of the bike was flexy and came with CR parts designed for a 220 pound MXer, not a 290 pound, 100mph desert machine.  Brakes would fade, fork flexed like crazy, and I nearly went broke trying to find replacement wheels.  Rear wheel bearings wouldnt last either, that bike just had SO much tourque.

Anyways, I want to get back into MX and am looking for a two stroke.  Now Ive never been a Yamaha guy but to be fair Ive never rode a new-ish YZ250.  Heard nothing but good things about the bike and from what Ive gathered the ergo's suit bigger riders nicely.  At the same time...  Ive found a brand new 08 Rm250 being sold dirt cheap by a dealer.  A friend of mine had a 07 Rm and that thing honked, I loved how that bike felt, even though it was night and day different from my KX, and I love the feel of a perimeter framed KX.  Anyways, since Im getting back into MX, my biggest concern is reliability and aftermarket support.  Which would you guys go for, the RM or YZ?  Im 6'3", 200 pounds and will be in the junior class.

I have one more question that maybe some of the more mechanically inclined guys can answer.  :)  On my KX250 after say, a high speed run and the bike was hot, it would make a squeeling noise from the engine.  This was rare mind you, it wasnt a constant issue and only after flogging the bike wide open for a stretch.  When I pulled in the clutch it would become quiet and stop after a second or two.  I took the clutch apart and never seen anything out of the ordinary.  Since Im doing a complete restoration on that bike, Im wondering if splitting the cases and doing the mains is a good idea.  At the same time Im doing it on a budget.  Any ideas? 

Thanks for reading!  :)

"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: New member, saying hi and looking for advice!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
Welcome to the site!
I'm a Yamaha fan, so of course I'm going to recommend the YZ. :)
I am 6'3 230, my 01 YZ 250 handles me great.
Parts are readily available anywhere, same with the Suzuki as well.
It mainly comes down to preference, or maybe a deal you can't pass up. :)

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:42 AM »
Welcome to the site!
I'm a Yamaha fan, so of course I'm going to recommend the YZ. :)
I am 6'3 230, my 01 YZ 250 handles me great.
Parts are readily available anywhere, same with the Suzuki as well.
It mainly comes down to preference, or maybe a deal you can't pass up. :)

Thanks!  :)

There are so many YZ fans out there... gotta be a reason for that.  ;)

Ive also been looking at KTM's SX 250's, but some guys have told me there are issues with bolts/fasteners ect becoming loose over and over again.  Havn't heard anyone complain about the motor though.  ;)

Thanks for the reply, guess its gonna come down to favorite color.  ;)
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »
Hello and welcome to the site...

Being a die hard Honda fan i would say to look around for a good used CR but Yamahas are more availible and are great bikes too and would be my 2nd pick.
I'm 6'3" 240#'s and my 03 CR is more than enough for me all the way around,even though im looking for a 500 motor for it :o.
I havent had any trouble finding parts for it but im sure there are other brands that would be easier to find.
Like PowerPlay said it mainly comes down to availabilty in your area and preferance on what brand you want,theres plenty of old 2 strokes out there trust me just dig around some and you'll be suprised what you find  ;D

Good luck and let us know what you come up with

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:52:51 AM »

Being a die hard Honda fan i would say to look around for a good used CR but Yamahas are more availible and are great bikes too and would be my 2nd pick.
I'm 6'3" 240#'s and my 03 CR is more than enough for me all the way around,even though im looking for a 500 motor for it :o.
I havent had any trouble finding parts for it but im sure there are other brands that would be easier to find.
Like PowerPlay said it mainly comes down to availabilty in your area and preferance on what brand you want,theres plenty of old 2 strokes out there trust me just dig around some and you'll be suprised what you find  ;D

I have found a few CR's for sale, and Ive always dug Hondas as well.  I have heard they are a little soft down low compared to some other brands, but since Im no Emig Im sure any of the 250's have more than enough power.  :)  I live in Canada and in the CMRC we are allowed a 285cc max displacement in the MX1 class... I know the Yamaha and Suzuki can be punched out that big, but Im not sure if that can be done to the CR?  Can you still keep the powervalve on the CR when doing a 285cc kit?

One thing about the CR's that has me a little concerned is Ive heard in their last production case reed motor they had some detonation issues.  Is that a problem for the CR's?  As well I have heard the cable controlled powervalve needs alot of attention as far as cable slack is concerned.  Just what I have heard though, has anyone had any problems with their CR engines?
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline RideRedMx2

• Expert
  • HRC FACTORY RACING
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000301824082&ref=profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »

I have found a few CR's for sale, and Ive always dug Hondas as well.  I have heard they are a little soft down low compared to some other brands, but since Im no Emig Im sure any of the 250's have more than enough power.  :)  I live in Canada and in the CMRC we are allowed a 285cc max displacement in the MX1 class... I know the Yamaha and Suzuki can be punched out that big, but Im not sure if that can be done to the CR?  Can you still keep the powervalve on the CR when doing a 285cc kit?

One thing about the CR's that has me a little concerned is Ive heard in their last production case reed motor they had some detonation issues.  Is that a problem for the CR's?  As well I have heard the cable controlled powervalve needs alot of attention as far as cable slack is concerned.  Just what I have heard though, has anyone had any problems with their CR engines?

Yes you are right on the denotation issue on some year models,i had some on mine first time i rode it but a switch to race gas cured it but u can have the squish cut fairly cheap to cure it and so you can run pump gas.As far as the cable issue goes,its the front cable and it has to be tight or performance will suffer but i tightened mine when i got it and havent had a problem since.As far as big bores i had read about 285 CR's but i dont think the company makes them anymore but there are a few companies that still make the 265 kits,i rode one and it does run better than mine.

Honda CR-250R #2.....Vet Class
CycleNation Powersports...Cycle Center Of Denton...HRC Factory Racing

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
I'd go with the zook, I heard 07 and on rm 250's have awesome grunt and suzuki's have awesome handling.

Offline Micahdogg

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
You can't go wrong with either bike. KTM's are going like hotcakes right now and the only alternative is YZ which has kept their prices up there.  So I have a feeling that you'll get the better value with the RM considering 08 was the last year (and 03+ RM's were awesome).  There are still PLENTLY of 01-08 RM parts out there to keep you going in the used market even if the parts counter gets finicky.

I dig that 93 KX.  I drooled over those things BIG time in middle school.

2011 KTM 250SX, 1986 ATC250R

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »

Like PowerPlay said it mainly comes down to availabilty in your area and preferance on what brand you want,theres plenty of old 2 strokes out there trust me just dig around some and you'll be suprised what you find  ;D

I have found a few CR's for sale, and Ive always dug Hondas as well.  I have heard they are a little soft down low compared to some other brands, but since Im no Emig Im sure any of the 250's have more than enough power.  :)  I live in Canada and in the CMRC we are allowed a 285cc max displacement in the MX1 class... I know the Yamaha and Suzuki can be punched out that big, but Im not sure if that can be done to the CR?  Can you still keep the powervalve on the CR when doing a 285cc kit?

One thing about the CR's that has me a little concerned is Ive heard in their last production case reed motor they had some detonation issues.  Is that a problem for the CR's?  As well I have heard the cable controlled powervalve needs alot of attention as far as cable slack is concerned.  Just what I have heard though, has anyone had any problems with their CR engines?

Yes you are right on the denotation issue on some year models,i had some on mine first time i rode it but a switch to race gas cured it but u can have the squish cut fairly cheap to cure it and so you can run pump gas.As far as the cable issue goes,its the front cable and it has to be tight or performance will suffer but i tightened mine when i got it and havent had a problem since.As far as big bores i had read about 285 CR's but i dont think the company makes them anymore but there are a few companies that still make the 265 kits,i rode one and it does run better than mine.

Thanks for the info! I guess what I heard was true then.  I wouldnt be opposed to owning a Honda at all, Ive never had one treat me wrong.  The race gas issue isnt really a big concern, I was planning on finding a nice stocker and going to a 285 kit with a higher compression ratio anyways... Im going to use the bike purely for MX and fix Ol Bess up for the bush again.  One thing I really like about my 93 is after a few mods it had tons of grunt.  Do you find your CR to be a little soft down low or is that issue overblown?
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
You can't go wrong with either bike. KTM's are going like hotcakes right now and the only alternative is YZ which has kept their prices up there.  So I have a feeling that you'll get the better value with the RM considering 08 was the last year (and 03+ RM's were awesome).  There are still PLENTLY of 01-08 RM parts out there to keep you going in the used market even if the parts counter gets finicky.

I dig that 93 KX.  I drooled over those things BIG time in middle school.

The KTM's look sweet, and everyone I know who has rode one said the 250's flat out haul.  The biggest thing for me though is reliabilty and dealer support.  Right now Im really leaning towards the new 08 RM, problem is I have to sell a crotch rocket before I can justify buying a new bike.  I freaking hate payments, Im not gonna finance jack squat. 

Thanks for the compliments on the KX.  :)  I guess Ill have to start a thread on its restoration process soon...
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
Welcome.
I would go for the RM.
Nothing against the YZ, but all reports say the yz does everying well.
Just not anything exceptionally.
Love the rm handling.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:36:21 PM »
No Ricky Carmichaels in this crowd! In my opinion the YZ's have always been a working man's bike, like TMKIWI said , very good but not a strong "character" to the machine. If I read between the lines I sense you would be happiest with the RM or maybe the KTM. Have you considered a TM? The two stroke TM's seem to be popping up everywhere.

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
Thanks for the opinions everyone.  :)

So I got a price on the new 08 RM250... 5999.00 Canadian OTD.  That seems pretty good to me considering I've had quotes on new YZ's at 7800, and the YZ's havnt changed since... 06?  A nearby KTM dealership has a 2009 SX250 for sale, when I asked for the best price on it I was told 7300.  Yeah the RM is 3 model years old already, but the technology is from the same day and age as the YZ's and its still a brand new bike.  Was told it was never fired...

I also asked the Zook dealership if there is any chance the Suzuki two stroke would ever be imported to N.A. again, like they have done in Australia.  He told me "No, you wont see them returning because of emission issues."

Seriously? 

If thats the case why havn't they been outlawed then?  Why can I still go into a Yamaha dealership or KTM shop, walk out and load a 2011 2 stroke into the back of my truck?  Seems strange to me, I can't imagine thats an official reason why the factories will not import the bikes. 

Anyways...  that yellow bike is starting to look really good. 
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
No Ricky Carmichaels in this crowd! In my opinion the YZ's have always been a working man's bike, like TMKIWI said , very good but not a strong "character" to the machine. If I read between the lines I sense you would be happiest with the RM or maybe the KTM. Have you considered a TM? The two stroke TM's seem to be popping up everywhere.

We used to have a local TM dealer but they shut down a few years back.  The bikes looked really nice... but I cant say Ive seen another dealership since.

How are the TM's for reliability?  Cost of doing say, a top end?  Thanks!
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline msambuco

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
At 6K that RM is a deal. I paid 5800 for my 08 yz250 and as these get scarce (temporarily before the big 2 stroke comeback) I would jump on that. 7K + is too much. Good luck.
08 373 Fuzion Toyhauler
1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog
A lot of toys
A map and a credit card
A lot of memories no one can take away