Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico 700  (Read 23263 times)

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Maico 700
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »
I say You wheelie through town, and run from the cops :D

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 11:32:39 PM »
My dad tried that on a 750 Kawasaki, and it didn't work.  But, the Maico has more power, less weight, and should handle a lot better so your chances wouldn't be too bad.  Depends on what the pigs use for squad cars in your part of the world.  Against a Crown Vic in a tight environment, you might be okay.  Against a Hemi Charger on the open freeway, it's probably not in the cards.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »
My dad tried that on a 750 Kawasaki, and it didn't work.  But, the Maico has more power, less weight, and should handle a lot better so your chances wouldn't be too bad.  Depends on what the pigs use for squad cars in your part of the world.  Against a Crown Vic in a tight environment, you might be okay.  Against a Hemi Charger on the open freeway, it's probably not in the cards.

jeez sorry guys been away i tried running from the cops but they got me so i been in a cell a few days...LOL just shitting you all, i ran from the cops here before on a 450x and they had no chance, you gotta remember that this is africa, we can just climb off the highway and we in the bush, good luck pigs... :P
Again i need help, dont get me wrong she's running very well barring a slight hiccup just off idle, i tried going from the original 85 pilot jet to a 70 but same problem just not as bad, i then tried going to a 60 and all i can say is no stutter but also no real power on the bottom end. Ive been advised to go back to the 70 pilot and try fine tuning the air/fuel screw considering im at about 6500ft. Anybody on here know the correct jet sizes for a bing 55 at this altitude? surely someone has a bing manuel... cheers all

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
Here are a few pic's

Sorry about the shitty bike stand...

video soon

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:40 AM »
PS if you notice the kick starter missing on the left hand side i broke it, she kicked back and snapped, lucky i had boots on!!!
Im having a decent on machined... We have had to tow start her using a quad...

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
Nice bike Big Bore, Good to see someone posting up!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:56 AM »
Looks completely changed from when that guy was posting videos.  i.e. it was red with the MAICO logo across the rads to the seat.  Now it's all black.

When it kicked back and broke the kicker, were you using the compression release?
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:08 AM »
Speaking of broken kickers, I had that happen once.

1984 KTM 495 Rebuild Part 10

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
Jetz I was thinking of another kind of single track, hard on the throttle, third gear and put the front wheel down for the corner.Maicos steer so well they are a pleasure to ride single track.

I've never had any of my Maico bigbores kickback hard enough to hurt my foot let alone damage anything. Something "aint" right there.By the way, nice looking motorcycle.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
I've heard tales that the old 501 was the grand master champion of kicking back.  They said that on occasion, a rider would bend his knee to kick the bike in this < shape and then the bike would kick back and his knee would be bending in this > direction.  Makes my bones ache just thinking about it.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
Looks completely changed from when that guy was posting videos.  i.e. it was red with the MAICO logo across the rads to the seat.  Now it's all black.

When it kicked back and broke the kicker, were you using the compression release?

This is what came outta the crate, when the bike arrived it looked terrible,
 the last owner even tried to convince me it had only done 10 hours which i dont believe for a second.
I was holding the decomp lever in but i think i let go to soon. i also spoke to the guys at maico intl and they said that
this has happened before on these 700's.
IMG]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee408/bigbore1/MarkMaico01.jpg[/IMG]

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »

The photo's aren't going up i hope this one does, I have ordered a set of the original plastics with the original graphics and seat cover.
The ones that came outta the crate were in  bad shape. Also the front mudguard was damaged and the only thing we could find to fit the forks was the new KTM
guard and number plate. the rest excluding the shrouds are old YZ plastics, apparently thats what they use on these bikes. She will look the way shes suppose to when everything arrives. But for now i dont mind the black.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 09:53:16 PM »
I agree, I have heard TONS of stories of ppl being thrown off on kick back from Maico, but my Maicos never kick back unless the timing is wrong or if you flood them.  Otherwise, they never kick back at random.

That guy also rode that bike in the desert, Sand is very hard on bikes.

These are the jetting ranges for the bike:

Main Jet: 210 to 235
Pilot Jet: 85 to 95
Needle Jet: 282 to 286
Air Screw: 1.5
Slide: 170 to 180

And yes I do have a Bing Jetting Manual it's here:

http://www.maicowerk.com/Maico/Manuals/displaymanual.php?id=9

Ya, if you got no power then it's too lean. 

Try these references:

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/Beginners/BGNov98.html

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/55

I had strange problems too when jetting a flat slide on the 82 Maico.  One way it was too lean at certain RPM and other ways it was too rich at a certain RPM.  And the jets overlap, so is it the needle jet or the jet neeld or the pilot or ht emain.  Funny was that top RPM was good, but middle wasn't.  usually, that means needle jet or jet needle. However, turned out to be main. 

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »
Bigbore,
The decomp lever doesn't need to be let out until after the bike starts, they'll run with the decomp open.

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
I agree, I have heard TONS of stories of ppl being thrown off on kick back from Maico, but my Maicos never kick back unless the timing is wrong or if you flood them.  Otherwise, they never kick back at random.

That guy also rode that bike in the desert, Sand is very hard on bikes.

These are the jetting ranges for the bike:

Main Jet: 210 to 235
Pilot Jet: 85 to 95
Needle Jet: 282 to 286
Air Screw: 1.5
Slide: 170 to 180

And yes I do have a Bing Jetting Manual it's here:

http://www.maicowerk.com/Maico/Manuals/displaymanual.php?id=9

Ya, if you got no power then it's too lean. 

Try these references:

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/Beginners/BGNov98.html

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/55

I had strange problems too when jetting a flat slide on the 82 Maico.  One way it was too lean at certain RPM and other ways it was too rich at a certain RPM.  And the jets overlap, so is it the needle jet or the jet neeld or the pilot or ht emain.  Funny was that top RPM was good, but middle wasn't.  usually, that means needle jet or jet needle. However, turned out to be main. 

hi thanks for that, i sent you a PM i hope you got it, still learning how this site works...