Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Maico 700  (Read 22331 times)

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
Maico 700
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »
Return your carb to stock specs and go from there. Bing carbs are more tolerant of elevation changes then the Japanese carbs and it has been my experience that the jetting specs are very close stock from the factory. I have ridden my 500 from sea level to 8000ft and my 380 to 10,000ft without issue.

It sounds like you purchased the 700 used and it has been my experience that with preowned machines you can't trust anything. For example, if the ignition timing is variable has that been monkeyed with and if the 700 has a powervalve is the unit broken or is the diaghram leaking? Once I found a rag in the exhaust of a machine, perhaps the previous owner should have called it a night sooner. Let us know how you make out and post a picture of the brute. :D

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
Re: Maico 700
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
What Maico 700?
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:09:02 PM »
Return your carb to stock specs and go from there. Bing carbs are more tolerant of elevation changes then the Japanese carbs and it has been my experience that the jetting specs are very close stock from the factory. I have ridden my 500 from sea level to 8000ft and my 380 to 10,000ft without issue.

It sounds like you purchased the 700 used and it has been my experience that with preowned machines you can't trust anything. For example, if the ignition timing is variable has that been monkeyed with and if the 700 has a powervalve is the unit broken or is the diaghram leaking? Once I found a rag in the exhaust of a machine, perhaps the previous owner should have called it a night sooner. Let us know how you make out and post a picture of the brute. :D
Thanks for the help SachsGS, for the word of advice, you spot on, the bike was found on the web for sale and imported into South Africa, the previous owner had said that she had only done 10 hours,  to be honest i cannot believe this, I have now pretty much rebuilt the bike from scratch, she looks great now but doesnt run as well as i expected. Any ideas how to set the timing on one of these???

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
What Maico 700?

The bike is a 2009 maico 700cc with bing carb #55 on her

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
I think I read something from Maico International saying the 700 didn't have a powervalve?  But if I remember correctly that was in a description of the special 2011 factory motor, so I don't know of that carries over to the 2009 version of The Monster.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:55:57 PM »
Was this bought from the guy in UAE (United Arab Emirates)?
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »
Was this bought from the guy in UAE (United Arab Emirates)?

Yes this is the bike, although when i put the photo's up you would not recognise her...  and the previous poster is right i believe no power valve.... any idea on the timing for these?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:59 AM »
You think they changed the timing?  Since they used the bike in the desert they may have changed the carb specs.  I'd return it to stock as mentioned.

The timing is 2.1mm for the Maico 490 with a motoplat or PVL, but not sure if it would be the same for the 700.  

Did you get a manual with the bike? If you did, scan it in :) and send to me for my collection.

http://www.maicowerk.com/Maico/Manuals/

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »

Main Jet: 210 to 235
Pilot Jet: 85 to 95
Needle Jet: 282 to 286
Air Screw: 1.5
Slide: 170 to 180

Pre-Ignition: 2.4mm and/or 1.8mm

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
Hold on just a second.  This is the same bike as the UAE one?  How is it possible that there is only ONE Maico 700 that anyone has actually ever decide to mention on the internet?  I can only conclude that the Maico 700 is either fantastically rare, as in only about ten in existence, or we we have simply stumbled upon a great coincidence!

Okay, there's my second.  You may now cease holding on.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:08:36 AM »
I should also mention that it would be wise to check the compression on that big 700. I'm not sure what the specs are for your machine but you will want to see at least 150psi.Also you might want to pull off the exhaust pipe and look up the exhaust port at the piston rings and piston. I've worked on many a newer machine that has shown evidence of a minor piston seizure.

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
Hold on just a second.  This is the same bike as the UAE one?  How is it possible that there is only ONE Maico 700 that anyone has actually ever decide to mention on the internet?  I can only conclude that the Maico 700 is either fantastically rare, as in only about ten in existence, or we we have simply stumbled upon a great coincidence!

Okay, there's my second.  You may now cease holding on.
Just like the unicorn... Im on holiday currently, when i get back next week i promise to post pictures. This is the same bike and i have all the customs docs to show, i will post the photos of the wreck i was shipped in the crate but i'll also post the photo's of what the bike looks like now. all i can say is shes a fantastic bike that just needed a little tlc, and thanks to Vincent from Maico UK for all the help, if you ever buy one of these bikes and need help contact the company in the UK, the only problem has as he mentioned to me been, that there hasnt been a jetting chart for a maico with a bing carb for a long while... Now even though she looks good! she runs bad!
So i still need help...

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »
You think they changed the timing?  Since they used the bike in the desert they may have changed the carb specs.  I'd return it to stock as mentioned.

The timing is 2.1mm for the Maico 490 with a motoplat or PVL, but not sure if it would be the same for the 700.  

Did you get a manual with the bike? If you did, scan it in :) and send to me for my collection.

http://www.maicowerk.com/Maico/Manuals/

Hi i did get a manual for her and i can forward it when im back home, But before i do i must ask for permission from the guys at Maico UK , im sure you understand... ;D

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
Ya, no problem, used to getting manuals and putting them up from the older bikes so forgot about that they may not want it listed :)

Why not try the Air Striker carb?

Offline bigbore

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
Ya, no problem, used to getting manuals and putting them up from the older bikes so forgot about that they may not want it listed :)

Why not try the Air Striker carb?

Air striker carb??!!!??? never heard of these, there's a lot of things we dont get here in africa....