Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Some cool two stroke bike photos....  (Read 13281 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Some cool two stroke bike photos....
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
These were found on the Internet....

Very nice.

Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Some cool two stroke bike photos....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
For the vintage fans.....

Life is short.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
here's some of my TM and CR and some friends bikes

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Blue tires?  Blue chain?  I'm sorry, but that's gone beyond the normal level of stupid.  Now we're getting to the stage where that bike can be compared to a Honda Civic with 50 horsepower, seven spoilers, and underglow.  I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but that bike seriously belongs parked next to the Ball Pit at McDonald's.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
Blue tires?  Blue chain?  I'm sorry, but that's gone beyond the normal level of stupid.  Now we're getting to the stage where that bike can be compared to a Honda Civic with 50 horsepower, seven spoilers, and underglow.  I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but that bike seriously belongs parked next to the Ball Pit at McDonald's.
Each to there own, i reckon it looks pretty good and it's got the go to match the show.
I probably wouldn't like everything about your bike but i wouldn't bag it like that. And just for future reference, what is the normal level of stupid? is that just the tyres or chain by themselves.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 04:07:22 AM »
The normal level of stupid is the degree to which people obsess over how their bike looks.  Money that they could be spending on better reeds, an improved pipe, porting, or whatever, instead goes into 500 stickers, "sick" plastics and things like that.  When someone rolls out a bike that's bone stock except that it's covered with stickers, it gets more oohs, ahhs, and duuuuuudes than a bland-looking bike with twice the performance.  There's nothing wrong with wanting your bike to look good, but it's really easy to tread into the realm of, in my opinion, goofiness.

I'm not here to tell people what they can and can't do with their bike.  As you said, to each his own.  However, I support one's right to do weird things with their bike to the exact same degree to which I support my right to insult it.  If you don't want to be ridiculed, don't do ridiculous things, as they say.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
JETZcorp - in this case you are being disrespectful... remember there are very few rules on here for a very good reason....

You can say that it's not your cup of tea or any other flowery saying you can think of but calling somebody else's taste stupid, is not cool....

Just a friendly warning.....

Personally I don't care for the blue ties... but they do look different.

As for people dressing up their bikes in any way they seem fit... I'm totally cool with that. Although with that said, I my preferences have always leaned towards what is best for the bike and makes it either work or handle better.

If purple pock-a-dot tires were the best tire available, you'd better believe that they would be on my bike!!
Life is short.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
I personally like the blue tires.. Our sport is full of colors anyways...Good way to be different on track to show off the sponsors...at the end..it is a 2 stroke! Like that RM also!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:38:06 AM by 2smoker »
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »
I personally like the blue tires.. Our sport is full of colors anyways...Good way to be different on track to show off the sponsors...at the end..it is a 2 stroke! Like that RM also!
Thanks, the same guy owned both bikes, unfortunately he's gone to the darkside.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »
The normal level of stupid is the degree to which people obsess over how their bike looks.  Money that they could be spending on better reeds, an improved pipe, porting, or wdon't likever, instead goes into 500 stickers, "sick" plastics and things like that.  When someone rolls out a bike that's bone stock except that it's covered with stickers, it gets more oohs, ahhs, and duuuuuudes than a bland-looking bike with twice the performance.  There's nothing wrong with wanting your bike to look good, but it's really easy to tread into the realm of, in my opinion, goofiness.

I'm not here to tell people what they can and can't do with their bike.  As you said, to each his own.  However, I support one's right to do weird things with their bike to the exact same degree to which I support my right to insult it.  If you don't want to be ridiculed, don't do ridiculous things, as they say.
those ooh's ahh's and duuude's are why people put effort into apperance, some people like that reaction from others when they see they're bike. Also that YZ already has alot of work done to it including pipe and reeds and programable ignition, also high compression single ring piston and match porting as well as custom suspension.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:48:22 AM »
I guess my thing is that I'm a bit sensitive to seeing someone go through a lot of effort to give something credentials it doesn't have.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting that the bike has been made to be very capable, but that's not the thing that it's getting attention for.  It gets attention for being different and flamboyant, rather like someone showing up to a formal function in a brightly colored tuxedo.  In my idea of a perfect world, there wouldn't be a market for "false sponsor" stickers and flamboyant tires, because people would look past that and appreciate what really makes the bike go.

I'd like to take a page from the world of fast cars.  The exterior is simple and stylish, but what really sets it apart is the piece of equipment under the hood.  People don't adorn these things with stickers unless they're being paid to do so.  There's a Calvin & Hobbs cartoon in which Calvin wants a shirt with a company logo on it.  "It says to the world, this company has manipulated me so much, I will pay THEM to advertise for them!"

So, I suppose if you were to condense this all down into one pithy statement, it would be this.  I don't like anything added to a bike or other serious piece of machinery that's there to distract from the things that really matter.  When people see that YZ, they instantly think, "Wow, blue tires!  He must be compensating for something!"  Even if you managed to get 55 horses from that thing, all that true performance work would be completely overshadowed by the aesthetic elephants of cotton-candy-knobbies.

If my opinion may seem a bit strong, that's because it is.  I believe that when one softens their statements, they come dangerously close to the sort of censorship that has struck the Bike Magazine industry.  At what point does the true opinion, "I think X is ridiculous," get transformed into, "X is sure to make great waves in pit lane?"  That's my take, anyway, and I expect the same thing from everyone else.  If 80% of everyone thinks my bike is ugly, I don't want to hear from just 20% of the people.  It leads to delusion; because being ridiculed is a great way to tell whether you're doing something ridiculous.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Recovered

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
Ha HA Ha HA..."false sponsor" stickers. I LOVE IT. I won't touch it, but I love it.

Offline scottydog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:45:40 PM »
I guess my thing is that I'm a bit sensitive to seeing someone go through a lot of effort to give something credentials it doesn't have.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting that the bike has been made to be very capable, but that's not the thing that it's getting attention for.  It gets attention for being different and flamboyant, rather like someone showing up to a formal function in a brightly colored tuxedo.  In my idea of a perfect world, there wouldn't be a market for "false sponsor" stickers and flamboyant tires, because people would look past that and appreciate what really makes the bike go.

I'd like to take a page from the world of fast cars.  The exterior is simple and stylish, but what really sets it apart is the piece of equipment under the hood.  People don't adorn these things with stickers unless they're being paid to do so.  There's a Calvin & Hobbs cartoon in which Calvin wants a shirt with a company logo on it.  "It says to the world, this company has manipulated me so much, I will pay THEM to advertise for them!"

So, I suppose if you were to condense this all down into one pithy statement, it would be this.  I don't like anything added to a bike or other serious piece of machinery that's there to distract from the things that really matter.  When people see that YZ, they instantly think, "Wow, blue tires!  He must be compensating for something!"  Even if you managed to get 55 horses from that thing, all that true performance work would be completely overshadowed by the aesthetic elephants of cotton-candy-knobbies.

If my opinion may seem a bit strong, that's because it is.  I believe that when one softens their statements, they come dangerously close to the sort of censorship that has struck the Bike Magazine industry.  At what point does the true opinion, "I think X is ridiculous," get transformed into, "X is sure to make great waves in pit lane?"  That's my take, anyway, and I expect the same thing from everyone else.  If 80% of everyone thinks my bike is ugly, I don't want to hear from just 20% of the people.  It leads to delusion; because being ridiculed is a great way to tell whether you're doing something ridiculous.

LOL now that was funny!
Dude if everyone had the same mind set as you the world would be a bloody boring place thats for sure.

Anyway back to bike pics

spotted this the other day a RMZ 450/YZ 490, now its not to pretty but still cool in my books.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
That's a sick conversion, is she a runner?

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:11:10 AM »
Freaking awesome! The engine need to get polished a bit!..but wow!
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.