Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: 120 in the Woods at Dusk  (Read 5374 times)

Offline MXLord327

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 120 in the Woods at Dusk
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:04 PM »
Really nice looking trails, I have a few like that around my house, but if I rode them on the YZ I'd be arrested in about 10 minutes and have the bike impounded.  Damn trail nazi's!!!

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
Put a bloody silencer on it. :-[
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
I would've loved to open the little beast up in second or third, but then I would lose the Yamaha and never see him again!

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 01:46:55 AM »
Jetz,
The stinger section of the pipe (the bit past the rear shocks) can be be cut off and a silencer fitted, as long as the final (tuned) length and the diameter of the pipe doesn't change the power and delivery will remain the same. Just be a whole lot quieter.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
But the silencer is longer than the stinger, so it would have to change, right?  Maybe it's difficult to tell from the pictures, but the stinger really isn't very long at all, I wouldn't call it any more than 6-7 inches.  Are there silencers to be had that could be attached but maintain a tuned length that short?  That's not a rhetorical question, I just don't remember seeing one that short.  I'd also be very afraid of messing up.  I mean, if I try cutting up the pipe and something goes wrong in some way, then I'm out one very hard-to-find pipe.  I'd like to see the bike be less annoying to those who decide to go hiking in a riding park, but if it means making a permanent change to something irreplaceable, I don't know if I could bring myself to do it.

Then again, if something goes wrong it might be possible to re-weld the stinger back on, if it comes to that.  I'll keep the idea in mind.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?