Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: mx vs atv reflex  (Read 12370 times)

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: mx vs atv reflex
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
I have reflex for the PS3, I play it when I can which isn't too often here lately.
It helps to have a nice theatre room, I could see it get a little boring without. :)

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
I play regularly, but most of the time get smoked. I love running the two strokes, but who here can cut faster lap times on the two stroke than if they sold out in virtual world and rode a four stroke ?? I can be consistently faster on the 450 at any track. Is there anything I can try to cut faster lap times on the two bangers ?? Or is the game designed that way ?? We get disadvantaged in real life and also in the virtual world !!!
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
all atv/dirt bike video games today are designed for the 4 strokes to go faster. kind of why I like atv off road fury 2 and 3.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 03:24:11 AM »
For what it's worth, in MXS I'm faster on the 125 than on the 250F.  The way the game is modeled, the 250F doesn't start making any power (and I mean ANY power, like more than 0.25hp) until five or six grand.  That means that coming out of turns, they like to bog for just a second and then snap into big power, throw a roost and go straight to 14,000.  That sort of unpredictability really doesn't work well with my style in the game (which is all about smoothness, because of my controller).  The 125s don't have as much power anyway at that magical point, so you get a much smoother acceleration and a bike that feels much less quirky.  I also really don't like the engine braking on the four-strokes, it makes them like to slide into corners in the game if you don't play your cards just right.  When the chips are really down, of course the 250F is faster, but I get my best average lap times on the 125.

And also for what it's worth, I have noticed that the trend in MXS is shifting more toward the 125.  Almost no one used to ride them, and there weren't any 3D mods to make them look any good.  But now the modders are seeing more demand for 125s and more riders are using them, at least that was the case the last time I played (which was a few months ago).

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
Personally i think mx vs. atv unleashed on ps2 is the best mx game ive played.  I remember i used to play that game non stop until my little brothers broke it. >:(  The reason i liked that game so much was because i was so much faster then all my friends.  I would always get the yz250 and smoke them by like 40 seconds or more consistently.  I just wish i got the hookup so i could try my luck online against some real competitors.  Now that yall brought up this topic i might try and find a cheap mx vs. atv unleashed on ebay and buy it. 

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
I am ordering MXS tonight...the game is really hard though haha. I am playing the demo, i am using an xbox controller and its easy on arcade..but not fun because the physics are not fun but playing on simulation is impossssible! any tips?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »
There's a slider in one of the options menus called "stability."  In real life when you're riding a bike, you do a lot of things to correct the bike and keep it upright that you're not even aware of, and you can do this because you're balancing on the bike and so your mind can react to even the slightest deviation from vertical.  Inputs to the handlebars of fractions of a degree, constantly act to keep the bike oriented the way you want it to be.

But in MXS, you're not balanced on a bike, so you're getting none of that input, and therefore you're not able to input those tiny corrections.  So, the game has a complex system of doing it for you, but it's not set up quite right for everyone.  The stability slider generally dictates how much of this automatic stabilizing occurs.  When you set it all the way, the bike keeps itself upright very well, and in fact you have to put rather a lot of effort into making it turn.  High stability settings are recommended for beginning players so that they can get used to the other controls without having to worry so much about crashing their brains out.  This is fairly similar to how it is in real life, you'll notice beginners in motocross don't lean the bike over so far in turns, and neither will you in MXS.  As your skill progresses and you feel like you're being held back by the high stability, incrementally turn it down.  You'll want to avoid radical changes, because then you'll have to completely readjust your equilibrium all at once, and that's no fun.  When I was playing a lot, I toned it down by 5% each day, and that was enough to keep it on the edge of being too difficult, without actually being too difficult to deal with.  Eventually you'll reach a point where if you go any lower, you'll crash regardless.  At this point, stop turning down the stability slider, and then start experimenting with the advanced stability menu.  There's a lot of stuff to tune in order to really get it all dialed in the way you want it, but that should give you the ability to train and develop your skills without killing yourself too often.

Almost everyone rides better in real life than they do in the game at first.  Eventually, your game skills will overtake your real life skills, and this can actually help you in real life on the track.  Many members on the MXS forums say that playing the game has helped them a lot in real life, particularly in line-selection, body-English, and keeping sharp through the winter months.  I have to say, even though I ride trails and dirt/gravel roads mostly, it helped me quite a bit when it came time to turn on the aggressive riding.  I wasn't afraid to hang the back end out through a sweeping turn, because I'd done it so much in the game (on a 125, no less) that I knew already what could make it work and what could make it fail.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the help! I am playing the demo on Simulator Mode with 85 percent stability. The turning is pretty easy its the in-air controls that are bugging me but im starting to get the hang of it. I am just focusing on the controls right now, I am not using the clutch and have auto trasmission on right now. My sound isnt working either so that is pissing me off! haha i cannot figure out why it randomly stopped working today. Thanks for the advice though. Hopefully i will get the full-version this week

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
Yeah, the midair work takes a lot of getting used to, that was the last thing I got the hang of.  But eventually you'll just start to get it, and it'll be subconscious.  It's not something that can really be taught, it just has to be learned.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline cmiller493

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
Okay, so if I buy the game..do they send you a CD? Like i know you can download the game from the website but do you get a CD in case you get a new computer and want to install it on the new computer?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »
well they dont train for nothing in simulators before the real thing :P

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
When you buy the game, you'll get a download link an a registration code.  What I did was save the .exe installer and keep it in a safe place.  When I upgraded computers, I took that file and all my other backups and transferred them over.  The old code didn't work anymore on the new computer, so I sent an eMail explaining the situation, and got sent a new code.  I'm not sure if there's a physical CD version available, but if there was, I chose not to get it.  If there isn't a CD option, you could simply burn the downloaded copy onto a CD (providing you have a burner and a few cents to buy the disc) and use that as your backup.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 01:36:49 AM »
does anyone have a torent for mxs?

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
I think there are a couple of guys on the forum who routinely do a search on the internet to find any torrents, and then try and get them removed.  The game is only developed by one guy working alone, and he's on pretty limited resources.  I'm not normally the type to start preaching to people about pirating software, but in this case, buying the game really will make a significant difference to the game itself.  It's not one of those titles that just gets released and then some spherical guy sits back in his million-dollar chair and watches the money roll in as he smokes a Cuban cigar and strokes his Rolex.  MXS development is a constant, evolving process, and the money generated by it ends up going straight back into making that evolution happen faster.

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 12:21:25 AM »
yeah i know,but i make 500$ a mounth

and every $ goes in my kawy