Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Wierd 2 stroke Smoke?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline YZ250

• Junior
  • I'll live forever, or die trying!
    • View Profile
Wierd 2 stroke Smoke?
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
I was riding in rain at some sandhills and doing some hillclimbs and i was hitting the powerband alot on my bike. then after I got some very annoying metal wire caught up in my wheel, I stopped to untangle it from my tire. I noticed as i was untangling the wire, smoke still kept drifting out of my exhaust pipe. It was white smoke too, and not the normal whitish blue smoke. and it was much thicker. I couldn't figure out what it was so i got worried. I had it happen on my previous bike too and i noticed when i let my bike sit for 10 mins or so the smoke would stop. and it did. but i just want to make sure that it's not something i should be worried about. I've seen it before but very rarely, so i'm trying to be cautious. do you think it would be from a little bit of rain getting in my exhaust? or just from being in the powerband to many times in a short span of minutes? or from the spooge on the end of my muffler getting mixed with rain so that when the rain steams, it burns some spooge with it? anyways, i don't think it's serious because i went riding today for about 15 mins and it seemed fine. any concerns i should know about?

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: Wierd 2 stroke Smoke?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
My guess would be burning silencer packing, smells horrible. :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
I've seen some smoke like that on rare occasions.  One time my dad brought out the '77 Maico and was getting pissed at it because the points were off (they'd been off for twenty years) and so he was taking the engine to its absolute limit on this big open gravel road.  Then he rounds a corner at about nine hundred miles an hour and sees a cop waiting for him.  He hauls the bike down and just barely manages to stop in time, tires skidding.  I thought that was quite impressive, given that the cop was quite a long way from the corner.  Anyway, I pulled up a little while later on the 120 and about a minute later noticed that there was some smoke wafting up from his silencer, like there was a giant cigar burning in there or something.  I had to struggle not to laugh - What was the cop going to think of THAT in the middle of August, in a forest with a long and proud history of burning to the ground?  It was a weird occurrence, not because of the smoke, but because it's not every day you see a State Police officer cruising gravel roads.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »
could be your right hand side crank seal and it's only leaking when you really under full load.

Offline KXAF888

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »
white smoke usually=coolant???  maybe a head gasket?
I have had it with 4 stroke turds

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say for certain that the smoke encountered in my little story wasn't coolant.  It may well be a completely different phenomenon from what's being discussed in the OP, but I'm pretty confident it was pipe residue being burned away, in our case.

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline evo550

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
Sounds like your muffler packing is full of sludge (oil), that because of exhaust heat, smolders even after the bike is shut down.
Repack your exhaust and it will go away....for a while at least.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:09:53 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say for certain that the smoke encountered in my little story wasn't coolant.  It may well be a completely different phenomenon from what's being discussed in the OP, but I'm pretty confident it was pipe residue being burned away, in our case.

It's not all about you Jetz. He was responding the original poster who asked the question... :D :P
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
I know, I just thought I'd take an opportunity to make a joke. ;)

Do you feel lucky, punk?