Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Some ??? About grips throttle tubes and levers.  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Some ??? About grips throttle tubes and levers.
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
Okay I went riding for the 2nd time yesterday but unfortunately I highsided my bike and it broke the front brake lever clean off and busted up the end of the new plastic throttle tube i had just put in. Another thing is my grips are slipping on the bars a little bit. I'm currently using the hairspray method for the grips, but hairspray alone is not enough to keep them from twisting around. I know I'm supposed to safety wire them but I don't know where to get the right stuff. The wire i got is wayy to heavy of a guage. And I'm also curious if the aluminum throttle tubes are really worth the extra cash?? As for the levers I just plan to replace them both. Also, is there a better airfilter then the stock one?

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Some ??? About grips throttle tubes and levers.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Please use grip glue to hold your grips in place. It works well, every time, without fail.

You should be able to get a safety wire kit at any motorcycle shop. The directions are a little vague, So practice on your old grips before removal. The safety wire acts like a cheese slicer on the grip if you wrap it to tight.

Wrap the wire around the grip twice.
Twist it until the wire barely sinks into the grip.
Cut the twisted part of the wire about 4mm long, Bend it 90 deg., and press it into the grip (so it wont poke you.

I wrap it once close to the inner flange of the grip, and again near the middle of the grip(so my fingers are on either side if the wire.

On the levers, I just run the cheap ones and keep a spare set in my tool box.

Offline keeptwostrokesalive

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
I just replaced my plastic throttle tube with an aluminum throttle tube and it works great.  Its pretty much gauranteed never to break so i would get one if i were you.  As for levers i just use the cheap ones, I have never broken one yet.

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:32:04 PM »
Yeah I use grip glue and wire.

I have a question for you guys as well.

Last time I went to the track, I slipped and ripped the tip of my grips (Which was really ironic, considering that I just put on a new set of Pro Taper Anti-rip tip grips!!) and busted off the tip of my throttle tube. Some dirt got in there causing it to stick a bit. But I scraped it all out and sprayed it with wd40, so the throttle sliding action is good again, but my question is, is it safe to just tape up the tip of my grip, leaving the tip of my throttle tube busted open? Or is it necessary to replace my throttle tube and grips before my race next weekend? Because Im low on cash and I dont want to have to replace this stuff if I dont have to.

So... Tape it or replace it?
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »
I would replace the tube and grip before i would race it.
That said, If you want to do a patch job, Super glue a nickel to the end of the throttle tube before you tape it up.

I stick a nickle in the end of my throttle grip when I put on new grips, It keeps the plastic throttle tube from cracking so easy.

Yes I am old.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:49:29 AM »
That said, If you want to do a patch job, Super glue a nickel to the end of the throttle tube before you tape it up.

I stick a nickle in the end of my throttle grip when I put on new grips, It keeps the plastic throttle tube from cracking so easy.

Yes I am old.

LOL as I was reading that I was thinking "Glenn's been around awhile, I haven't seen anyone use a nickel in their grips in a long time"  ;D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline snowboarderro

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:03:49 AM »
as for the levers,if you don't whant to buy some asv,sunline,renthal that flex,you can let the screws from the front brake and clutch more loss just so they slide when you push them hard up or down (i race tested :P)

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »

Yes I am old.

LOL as I was reading that I was thinking "Glenn's been around awhile, I haven't seen anyone use a nickel in their grips in a long time"  ;D .

:D :D

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
as for the levers,if you don't whant to buy some asv,sunline,renthal that flex,you can let the screws from the front brake and clutch more loss just so they slide when you push them hard up or down (i race tested :P)

I agree, for racers on a budget this is the hot set up. The only challenge is to leave them loose enough so that they move when you fall, but stay where they're supposed to be when you ride.

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, buy a set of fancy ones, but try them out on a friends bike first, they all have a different feel from standard levers.

The old nickel at the end of the grip trick... I love it!
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline eprovenzano

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »

Yes I am old.

I had forgotten about that little trick...  boy that takes me back to the day...   :D
Eric Provenzano
2019 KTM 300 XCW TPI
2000 KTM 300 EXC (Son's)
2001 KTM 380 EXC
Sold 1991 KDX 200... fun play bike
Sold 1999 KX250
Sold 1999 YZ125 (son's)
Sold 2001 Yamaha TTL 125 (son's 1st bike)
Sold but never forgotten 1974 Honda Elsinore CR250M
Sold 1974 Honda Elsinore CR125

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
Wrap some teflon tape around the bar under the perches so they spin when you fall.

Offline GlennC

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
Wrap some teflon tape around the bar under the perches so they spin when you fall.

X2

Offline ACMX

• Professional
  • Andrew Cameron
    • View Profile
    • ACMX Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
Been doing that forever.
ACMXProductions.weebly.com <-- Check it out! Now!

'Forgive me lord for I have sinned. I hit a fourth gear jump in fifth gear pinned'

The Sweet Sound of a Yz125 Two Stroke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSO3Po7uvJo

'If it takes more than two strokes, then you're just playing with