Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Air filter cleaner  (Read 7907 times)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
Re: Air filter cleaner
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »
I fill a bucket with HOT water and dish soap. Then I spray the filter generously with Simple Green, work it into the filter, and then it soak 10-15 minutes. Then I put it in the bucket and clean it well. Works for me and it's cheap.

Interesting.I always use simple green automotive(same as household only not diluted)when I wash the bike but never thought about using it as filter cleaner-I must try it.I doubt it's cheaper than kerosene(around here anyway)but more enviro for sure.As for dish soap-Dawn is by far the best as a bike wash.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »
I am always hesitant to use things like gas, kero, etc., as cleaner. One is the smell (I HATE it on both) and two is disposal. I almost got fined about 5 years ago. We ran out of heating oil and I was pouring some in out of 5 gallon cans, I accidentally spilled a very small amount, maybe a 2-3 cups at most. I actually came home to a note on my door that said to find a way to clean it up (NO idea who saw me or turned me in) and if happens again I will be fined. So I am very paranoid now about disposing anything like gas, oil, or kero because I obviously have a busy-body neighbor.
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »
I am always hesitant to use things like gas, kero, etc., as cleaner. One is the smell (I HATE it on both) and two is disposal. I almost got fined about 5 years ago. We ran out of heating oil and I was pouring some in out of 5 gallon cans, I accidentally spilled a very small amount, maybe a 2-3 cups at most. I actually came home to a note on my door that said to find a way to clean it up (NO idea who saw me or turned me in) and if happens again I will be fined. So I am very paranoid now about disposing anything like gas, oil, or kero because I obviously have a busy-body neighbor.
Why would anyone care if it is in your own yard? It's your yard, you can do with it as you please, can you not?
I'd rather be riding...

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 04:04:34 AM »
Not really,1l of oil contaminates 100,000l of ground water.While coops little mishap is really neither here nor there,if it happened to everyone,it's a big problem.As for disposal,I guess I'm fortunate as I just take my used stuff in to work.We have a disposal tank that the recyclers pump out.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »

Why would anyone care if it is in your own yard? It's your yard, you can do with it as you please, can you not?
[/quote]

Only if you are BP. :-X
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline ford832

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

Only if you are BP. :-X
[/quote]

Lol. :D

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 06:07:40 AM »
The truth is that using toxic chemicals for air filters is not the best way to go anymore.

If there are better ways to accomplish the same goal out there, why don't you try them for yourself and see what you think?

If you like it, you can adopt it and if you don't like it, look for something better.

Sticking with the saying, "well that's just the way we did it in the past" is no longer a good enough reason to keep your head buried in the sand.

As for BP and the oil spill... it will go the same way that stuff like this seems to go... the government will fine BP. Then BP will do one of two things, raise prices to pay for the fine or threaten the government that they will go out of business unless they get tax incentives and breaks to pay the fines. Either way the taxpayer will pay the bill...
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »
I was at the gas station about a month ago and my friend had some old gas he needed to get rid of so he asked the gas station about it.  They said dump it in the grass behind the garbage bins.  This was about 5 gallons worth of gas, BTW.  

I believe this one was a Shell gas station.

I've always used hot soapy water for my air filters and then let them dry out.
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »
I was at the gas station about a month ago and my friend had some old gas he needed to get rid of so he asked the gas station about it.  They said dump it in the grass behind the garbage bins.  This was about 5 gallons worth of gas, BTW.  

I believe this one was a Shell gas station.

Well just because a gas station employee said to do that does not make it ok. You would not get Shell to endorse that as an official disposal technique  :D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
Ya, I thought gas stations were supposed to have disposals for old gas. 
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline KXAF888

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 04:40:35 AM »
any of the filter cleaners that are on the market, or you can use break clean
I have had it with 4 stroke turds