Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: First Ride  (Read 4440 times)

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
First Ride
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.

Offline Charles Owens

• Professional
    • View Profile
    • Two Stroke Motocross
Re: First Ride
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Sounds like she had some fun, and she gets to learn about repairs first hand! :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
I think I've seen her hovering around a couple of "rebuild" videos in the past.  As I posted earlier on Facebook, this development means I'm going to have to dig up some ye olde home movies of my early riding days, next time I'm over at my dad's house.  There are a few clips around with me climbing onto the AW250, some fly-bys on the 390, etc.  I even had a bicycle at the time and I'd ride it around camp making two-stroke noise, and incidentally I happened to sound a lot like a 350 BigHorn.  We even installed a fake throttle cable on the thing so the view over the bars would look more like a Husky.  I was an odd sort.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
  I was an odd sort.

What do you mean " WAS "  :P
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
The past tense does not necessarily preclude the present. ;)

But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
Haha, ya I fixed the front tire after I got back she just watched TV.  There was low air pressure in the front tire and I think it was already had a slow leak and with her extra weight I think it just ripped the valve stem.  There wasn't a rim lock in the front tire so I put one in, should be OK now.

I should make her rebuild the 86, she really wants to ride that one.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:16 AM »
An experience like that would man her up real fast.  But something tells me that wouldn't be a desirable outcome...

Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
She can put pink gears in

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Cool video.

At least Jetz didn't tell you what a horrible mistake you are making gearing her up like he did to me about my nephew :D .
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
Haha, ya she got the total package.

Boots
Shin / Knee Guards
Elbow Guards
Chest Protector
Hip Padded Pants
Shirt
Helmate
Goggles
Gloves
Evo Neck brace (didnt put on this time, she might be too small for it)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
 ;D  Way too Cool,
However I must warn you,  If she decides to take the princess route without a bike it only hurts for a little while...
   My Daughter was really psyched to get her bike.    After only about an hour she was done.. :o.that was it...
Broke my heart. ???.. But life goes on.. :-[

I gave the 50 and all the gear to a friend at work with two boys and they rode the wheels off that thing...They now moved up to yz 80's.
  Hopefully you will be able to keep your new riding buddy, but if things don't work out, there's always another kid to pass the torch too.
  Tuck \o/

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
haha, ya, but she is years away from her own bike, she needs to learn to ride a regular bike without training wheels first, she's only 5.  Right now I figure I will take her every once in a while for a short ride.  This year anyway we probably only have one more day where it will be nice enough out for her to go. 

That's also why I held off until now didnt want her to go one time and then decide she didnt want to do it at all.  However, I took her for a few spins in the drive way before and she kept asking for more wanting to ride the bike.  I have also taken her to ride go carts and she yells the whole time to go faster. 

The only thing that she doesn't like so far is that it's close to a 1 hour drive to the riding area.  She likes the little bikes at the store and says she wants one but of course she can't ride a regular bike and as you say it could be a one time thing.

If it is nice we might go on Monday, she said that I should bring my tools so I can fix the bike if it breaks again, which of course I do I just didn't have a tube with me. 

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
haha, ya, but she is years away from her own bike, she needs to learn to ride a regular bike without training wheels first, she's only 5. 

Well I wouldn't be sure sure about her "being years away". I started my nephew (the one I just gave the KX60 to) on a PW50 when he was six. He actually learned to ride a bicycle just because I told him he couldn't have a dirtbike until he could ride a pedal bike without training wheels. They can develop skills pretty fast at these ages.  :D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline SachsGS

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
Both of my older sons did the same thing on their first ride on a PW50 - they revved the little engine up untill the autoclutch engaged, and then froze. Both sons were 5 years old at the time. The first son went through the hedge only to be tackled by the next door neighbour. The second son went into the bushes only to be stopped by two perfectly bar spaced sapplings. His fingers were trapped between the brake leavers and the handlebar.The back of the PW was bouncing up and down, tire spinning and him wailing.

This reminds me of another incident. My sons had progressed to a KDX80 and were riding at a local wooded area. A friend of my sons wanted to ride the Kawasaki and assured me that he was skilled at riding motorcycles.What happened next was amazing, the kid wasn't telling me the truth and before I could get him off the bike, he was gone. The kid froze and hit a tree, riding 4 or 5 feet up the trunk of the tree before losing traction and returning to terra firma. :)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »
That reminds ME of a story I got from my dad (because he's seriously got that many stories!)  My friend had come down from Canadia, and wanted to borrow one of my dad's bikes so he could ride with us.  Dad's response was, "I'd love to have you ride with us, but I've just seen too much chaos caused by new riders.  Like back when I had the 450 Maico, I took a guy along and he assured me he knew how to ride.  So I gave him the 450 and told him it was a powerful one and to take it easy at first.  He waved me off and said yeah yeah, no problem.  So he gets it started, lets out the clutch, and the bike's got more power than he expected, so he gets all wide-eyed and pulls in the front brake.  But by doing this, he also pulls the throttle.  The bike pulls the front wheel in the air, locked and not moving, while the back is doing a big roost at 40 miles an hour, and he goes tearing *hand gesture* across the road and into a tree.  It was about five seconds from the clutch coming out to the bike laying on the ground.  Bike came back with bent forks, cracked fender, ruined grips and the awesome orange paint was just wiped out on the left side.  So you can kind of imagine why I'm not comfortable with someone else on one of my bikes."

Do you feel lucky, punk?