Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Lawn guys said they could jet my bike? What do you guys think?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Okay so yesterday i was trying to figure out what the screws do on my carb. so i took the bike of the stand started it up and took it down the road in my neighborhood, I did this a couple of times. I passed this lawn care service that eventually stopped me. They said they rode too. And said my bike is smokin up a storm. I told them the situation and they said it definitely needs jetted. He said one easy way he could tell is that the pipe is not discolored at all where it connects to the motor. therefore mostly likely running too cool. He told me they had their own small motorcycle shop just up the road and that they could jet it for me. "One of the guys is a fellow two smoker lover" I asked them how much they wanted to jet the bike for this florida weather. They said they come through my neighborhood every week and would come talk to me about it.

I've been wanting to get the bike jetted ever since i got it. But I just don't have the time myself.. So I've been looking for a reasonable motorcycle mechanic that won't charge me an arm and a leg just to jet it. I'm currently using Bel-Ray HR1 but am wanting to use Klotz oils as i have buddies who love that stuff. If i switch over will it have to be jetted for that kind of oil?  I'm runnin 40:1 with the bel-ray but would prefer to run 32:1. "I'm just mixing at the previous owners ratio".

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Lawn guys said they could jet my bike? What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »
If you are inexperienced at jetting you might want to look at the jd jet kits.Guy complain that they cost too much but inmho it is worth it to have your bike running good if you aren't sure how to do it yourself.Too rich and you won't have maximum performance and too lean can get way ugly and exspensive.I have seen what too lean can do to a piston and cylinder.Not nice.

Offline ktm150rippa

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
I know its hard to convince alot of ppl it took me listening to the silkolene rep and him actually showing me but if you're running a synthetic premix there is really no reason to run 32:1.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
I would be willing to do it myself if i had the time...

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:09:29 AM »
Well, I have a feeling they were talking about two parts of a 4 stroke that don't pertain to your bike.  First, saying yours is smoking. Although the guy who likes 2 strokes could maybe make a judgement call on that, the others may have been thinking compared to a 4 stroke. Second, the pipe depending on what pipe, should not be discolored like they speak of. That again, is a 4 stroke thing.  Here's a simple test for you. Put the bike on the stand, in neutral. clean it out and warm it up good. Then, let it idle for about 10 seconds, crack the throttle wide open fast.  If it revs, with no problem and cleanly, move on to the next step. If it gags, you are either lean or rich down on your airscrew/ pilot jet.  Next, about 1/4 throttle for about 5-10 seconds and do the same.  Then half throttle etc. If all those are reving cleanly, without gagging for fuel or air, and you will know it, then move on to the last. Take your bike, put it in 2nd gear and pin it (only if you can handle doing that, if not, try 3rd).  It should pick the front tire up at the end, and not feel like it is all of a sudden climbing a super steep hill. It should rev out, without "falling" off.  Again, you will feel it.  Try those things and report how it feels.  We can go from there.
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
Well, I have a feeling they were talking about two parts of a 4 stroke that don't pertain to your bike.  First, saying yours is smoking. Although the guy who likes 2 strokes could maybe make a judgement call on that, the others may have been thinking compared to a 4 stroke. Second, the pipe depending on what pipe, should not be discolored like they speak of. That again, is a 4 stroke thing.  Here's a simple test for you. Put the bike on the stand, in neutral. clean it out and warm it up good. Then, let it idle for about 10 seconds, crack the throttle wide open fast.  If it revs, with no problem and cleanly, move on to the next step. If it gags, you are either lean or rich down on your airscrew/ pilot jet.  Next, about 1/4 throttle for about 5-10 seconds and do the same.  Then half throttle etc. If all those are reving cleanly, without gagging for fuel or air, and you will know it, then move on to the last. Take your bike, put it in 2nd gear and pin it (only if you can handle doing that, if not, try 3rd).  It should pick the front tire up at the end, and not feel like it is all of a sudden climbing a super steep hill. It should rev out, without "falling" off.  Again, you will feel it.  Try those things and report how it feels.  We can go from there.

I noticed yesterday when i took it out on my street that when i decided to get on it in 3rd when it hit the powerband it seemed to chuggle then clear out and rev fine.. ?

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
I still think you need to take it for a decent spin.
If the thing was sitting with old fuel for awhile the motor will be "flooded" internaly.
As miedos says You need to rev it out preferably in all the gears.
It will run rough,fart and smoke until you clean out the excess fuel in the engine.
If it wont clean up after 2 thru the gears runs , yes you will need to look at the jetting.
If you are using a public road you will have to speed or find somewhere else to do it.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
But it is still spooging real bad.. i dont want to constantly have to clean spooge out from under the bike. :( reguradless of puttering or being constantly wide open I'm sure it will still spooge.

Offline Coop

• Global Moderator
  • Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 03:23:39 PM »
I think those guys have more 4 stroke experience than two stroke experience like mentioned. Pipe discoloration is not associated with two strokes. And even a properly jetted one will smoke some.

Jetting changes, air filter maintenance, power valve maintenance, top end maintenance; these are all things you will need to learn how to do if you want to ride/race a two stroke. None are hard once you do them once or twice. But if you want to get the most out of your bike you really owe it to yourself and your bike to learn them. There is a reason so many of dirtbikers spend late nights in the garage, because that's often the only time many can find to wrench on their bikes... ;D ;D
- Mike - Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »
But it is still spooging real bad.. i dont want to constantly have to clean spooge out from under the bike. :( reguradless of puttering or being constantly wide open I'm sure it will still spooge.

You need to check your jets.
It's easy to do.
Loosen both clamps holding the carb to manifold and air boot.
Twist the carb so the float bowl is facing you. Just be carefull with the throttle cable that you dont damage it.
Undo the float bowl and have a look at the jets.
The main is on the bottom with a hex head & the slow jet you need a small screwdriver.
Post on here the sizes and someone can help from there.
PS some bikes you may need to take out the throttle cable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:46:53 PM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

You need to check your jets.
It's easy to do.
Loosen both clamps holding the carb to manifold and air boot.
Twist the carb so the float bowl is facing you. Just be carefull with the throttle cable that you dont damage it.
Undo the float bowl and have a look at the jets.
The main is on the bottom with a hex head & the slow jet you need a small screwdriver.
Post on here the sizes and someone can help from there.
PS some bikes you may need to take out the throttle cable.

I think I'm gunna Re-Jet it myself. But I talked with my brother and he said to just ride it like it is when I go with my friends to HoloPaw. I don't have the time to mess with it this week because Graduation is coming up. After I take it for the 1st ride. I'm gunna let you guys know what jets I have in the carby then hopefully we can get this damn spooge under control :)