Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Official Handbook of OHV Oregon Laws and Rules  (Read 3203 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Official Handbook of OHV Oregon Laws and Rules
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:16:08 PM »
So I happened to come across this official little pamphlet that contains all the rules and regulations and shit for the State of Oregon if you're going to ride on public land.  I decided the best way to illustrate how ridiculous this is, is to compile a list of things that are ILLEGAL to do on public lands with a dirt bike.

1)  Be Too Young - If you are under the age of 7, it is decreed that you are unworthy of operating a dirt bike, even if it's got a 3-horse lawnmower engine.
2)  Go Without a Helmet - This makes sense, really, except the rules say that once you turn 18, you don't need to wear one.  Like adults all have craniums of titanium or something.
3)  ATV Safety Education Card - Yes, that's right.  If you are under the age of 30 in this state, it is required that you have taken a government course either online or in-person, and have an official card with you showing that you've done it.  By 2014, everyone must have one of these cards to ride, full-stop.
4)  Ride Without a Sticker - The ATV sticker you buy for $10 and goes to fund the people who close down trails and harass riders, is mandatory for all.
5)  No Spark Arrestor - It doesn't matter if you are riding in the rainforest (yes, we have a rainforest here) in the dead of winter during a typhoon.  Without a government-approved SA, you might as well ride a nuclear bomb as far as the law is concerned.
6)  Be Louder than 99dB - Who wares that the acoustics of the area are, or what how the noise will affect the neighbors, if they exist.  This law is universal, regardless of the circumstances.

Here's the best one of them all.

7)  Riding without Headlight and Tail Light - Yes, that's right.  In order to ride on public lands in Oregon, no matter WHAT the visibility is or the time of day, you have to have a tail light and headlight.

The above rules don't apply, however, if you are part of industry, such as forestry or agriculture.  In that case, you are likely part of a union that has lobbied the State government to exempt you.  Because the Christmas tree industry is WAY more important than recreational riding.  Also, if you are on private land, these rules are also exempt.  So if you're riding in your back yard, you're good.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Re: Official Handbook of OHV Oregon Laws and Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
I think the head/tail light is only valid at night. I have talked to plenty of rangers, and never been pulled over for no tail light or head light. Its a priority at the dunes at night law or no law.

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »
Well, the book made no stipulation about night time or not.  There was an asterisk next to a couple of rules saying they only applied on the dunes, but those were rules I didn't post here.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline opfermanmotors

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
I've seen the headlight/taillight rule and its always said required for night riding. 

The 99dB law is also lower and strickly enforced at the dunes.  It's 97dB there.  The forest rangers rarely enforce the sound law unless you're extremely loud.  They've never measured me, have said my 82 was loud but just checked my spark arrestor and was like well at least you got that.

The safety education card is b/c of a lot of ATV deaths and injuries.  Infact, majority of the quiz is how to safely ride a quad.  I didn't take it yet but a friend of mine did, it's actually like and hour or two long.

The ATV tag also is supposed to go to those who groom and maintain the trails, at least that's how it is positioned.  If that is the case I don't mind paying $10 at all and according to the rangers I have talked to supposidly it does go to maintaince.   We also have prison workers who come around and clean the camp sites and bathrooms and they said without them they couldn't afford to keep up the maintaince of the areas.

Modest beginings start with a single blow of a horn, man.