Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Crf150r discontinued?  (Read 7167 times)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
Crf150r discontinued?
« on: November 22, 2009, 01:43:41 PM »
I heard from a kid online(so this is a complete rumor), that the crf150r is not being made in 2010, due to lack of demand, because of the price, and how hard and expensive they were to maintain. Now, if this is true, I have to say, I told you so honda(actually, I didn't really, but I thought it). I mean, at the mini class level, it should be a time of learning how to use the clutch, how to stay in the power band and improve skills, with four strokes, you become lazy, imagine being lazy at motocross as soon as you started motocross at age 10. When the bike first came out, dealerships bought them in droves, and there was a lot of hype over the machine, but, some tracks wouldn't allow them, and any dad who knows much about motocross would know the better deal is the 85. In my opinion making a four stroke for that class was kinda a bad business decision, because that is the age when kids enter the sport, and if it's too expensive to enter, they won't. So, I am kinda hoping, that maybe we will see a red 80, out on the tracks again, because I sure didn't see too many 150r's on the track this year. If someone could get back to me on this, that would be great.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Crf150r discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »
It`s true that there won`t be any 2010 150r

but they will still sell the 2009

what do you think would be different on the 2010

they even used the same graphics on the $T  for 2010

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »
oh, well, I guess they have to still clear their 09 inventory.
I'd rather be riding...

Offline rooster

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
I can not confirm if they are producing 2010's or not but I can tell you that at our local track the disappearance of CRF150's is amazing.  A couple years ago there were about a dozen kids that rode them and last sunday there was only one in the 85 class.   Maintenance and cost has been there downfall, they had a lot of engine failure also..................I read on one of the two stroke sites that EURO motocross has changed to 85cc 2t only(no 4t allowed) in there local racing rules.................I agree with what as been written, kids need to be on 2t to learn good riding habits.................Rooster

Offline compmoto

• GASGAS dealer
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »
just say it!  told u so!  My bud's son (and him,for buying it) has one , but he's already riding Dad's RM 144/oversized.He didn't seem too interested in the CRF150.High-dollar 4 stroke minis couldn't possibly be attractive in this economic climate.For owners,or manufacturers.Just wait for the rebuild,when Jr. rides/maintains it like it's a XR100... He talked me into coming out for a club ride @BuddsCreek ,week before last.I took my '01 YZ 125,not even expecting to ride it, and lo'and behold, the club president , said "go ahead,do some laps". OMG! I ain't rode on a MX track in over 2 years! I had a blast! Only fell twice!The last one hurt though, in fact, it still does! Anyway, this forum is right on time!I'm stoked!My membership back into the club,is pending, and will certainly happen.Lemme tell u folks, a couple of the bikes I saw that day there.First,I saw a fellow riding a restored '76?RM 370 in the pits,and then shortly thereafter, I saw a bike over yonder, went to see, and it was another guy whom I know, with a nice '85 Can-AM 250MX! WOW! What a cool day it was! I'm gonna break out the RM 250, and get ready for some winter riding!Maybe even do the Hangover Harescrambles in Jan. Look out BlueCross/BlueShield ! I'll get my ATK260LQ ready for that one! Thanx for a cool site, for us 2 stroke smeller fellows! My personal fav, would be C12/Maxima...
RMX250,YZ125,Maico490,RD400,RZ350

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
ok, well, I really just don't agree with the crf150r thing, I mean, it would make a really explosive pit bike engine, but, really, kids need to learn on two strokes, end of story(in my opinion anyway). I actually do believe that Ricky Carmichael and James Stewart would not be where they are today if it weren't for them starting out on 2 strokes
I'd rather be riding...

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
For a starter bike, I think a two-stroke is definitely what you need.  I remember reading once (was it here?) that a guy bought himself a four-stroke as his main bike, then noticed a sharp decline in his skills at vintage racing because even though he was riding, his skills were falling by the wayside.

I go a bit further than most, though.  For the kind of riding I do, which is roads and trails, I think you need to start on a bike that will not only hurt you if you mess up, but that you KNOW it will do so.  For example, let's say you decide to start your riding career on a '78 Husky 125.  It's got all the suspension travel you'll need (except on the track) and was renowned in its day for making the rider feel as though obstacles weren't even there.  On this bike, you become accustomed to being able to ride where you want, hitting things, and continuing on again.  Now imagine you start your riding career on a bike of similar engine size, but of 1973 vintage, with only 3 inches in the back and 5 up front.  You learn very quick that just going bonsai into everything is both uncomfortable and scary, so you develop the habit of picking the best line through all the bull.  Now imagine, years later, you're riding on a brand-new bike with miracle suspension, and see some really gnarly scary thing ahead that you know you're going to hit.  If you started out on the good bike, you'll think "oh shit" and nail it, perhaps with major serious injury.  If you started on a "crappy" bike, you'll set yourself up right to take it as best as possible, be that by bracing yourself, hitting it where it's least scary, or even just riding at a more sensible pace in the first place.  You're simply going to handle the situation better, because you've come to respect what things can do to a bike.  I feel that I'm a much better rider for having spent so many years on my '67 Kawi.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
JETZcorp

Excellent point about learning how to ride first and foremost.

That truly is the danger with the four-strokes, that people can ride them faster than their skill level. This is dangerous in many ways, not just to the rider on that machine, but everyone around that guy.

When you learn on a bike where you have to hone your skills before you can attempt crazy obstacles, you gain the necessary experience required to be safe (well at least hopefully!).
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
Exactly.  Even worse are the quads.  To take a quad up to freeway speed (especially one with an automatic transmission) all you need to know is where the throttle is.  You can go fast without worrying about "falling over" and as a result, even the greenest of greenhorns is suddenly found to possess balls of steel.  Four of them!  Then, when you take into account that you have to pick not one, but two safe lines to ride, and the thing weighs as much as a Buick if it gets on top of you, it's a perfect recipe for disaster.  Yet, parents around the world think they're safer because they're easier to ride.  I have a friend who wants to get a 250 Husky (he really likes mine) and had to spend a long, long time explaining why a four-wheeler wouldn't be a "safer option."

I feel I'm getting a little off-topic, but I just want to end my rant by saying that if someone offered me a quad for 1/4 of what it's worth, I'd buy a Mitsubishi Lancer for double its price and use that as my off-road four-wheeler before taking the quad.  For safety reasons, of course.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline jft67x

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 12:37:03 AM »
the 150r was going to be in super mini only. does this mean cr85??

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
Super mini might be 105cc (I think,can't remember). The poor Honda CRF150 gets the boot, haha take that honda. < See how much I like Honda, sarcasm. Well, don't get me started about that. Back to the 150, I knew this bike would never replace the two strokes because the minis are just soooo good. The bad thing about the minis is they are far behind on technology, except the KX85 and YZ85. 

Offline metal_miracle

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
none of the minis are the lastest

the yz85 havent seen a change since 2002

the kx 85 got updated in 2001 then they got a left shroud and 85cc the chassie dates back to 1998

the rm 85 updated in 2002

the cr last update was in 2003 but that was basicly just right shroud and new side pannels

the ktm was designed in 2003  later updates have just been color and crank updates

the tm got a new motor cast in 2005 but basicly same  since 2000

dont know much about the 150 besides that there isnt any 2010

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
Holy crap they were updated last when I quit MX. I would of figured they would of came out with new ones soon. Well lets hope ;D

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »
Super mini might be 105cc (I think,can't remember). The poor Honda CRF150 gets the boot, haha take that honda. < See how much I like Honda, sarcasm. Well, don't get me started about that. Back to the 150, I knew this bike would never replace the two strokes because the minis are just soooo good. The bad thing about the minis is they are far behind on technology, except the KX85 and YZ85. 
Has Suzuki not been updating the rm, and what about the sx, Ktm is always tweaking their two strokes
I'd rather be riding...

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
Well, I actually think that it is good that these bikes aren't being updated, this keeps the cost down, and it allows riders with older model bikes(like 02, or 03), to still be competitive. This isn't possible in the big bike world. which kind of brings me the thought that if there was two stroke only classes, there wouldn't be as much of a keep up with the Jones's thing going on, because, really, this is as much as they are going to develop the two stroke motor, i mean, they may do minor changes.
I'd rather be riding...