Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: The bottom line about the 4 stroke takeover.  (Read 2277 times)

Offline coblefutch

• Junior
    • View Profile
The bottom line about the 4 stroke takeover.
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
The truth is that the 2 stroke bike = the great equalizer. in other words in a 2 stroke only world a skilled privateer has as good a chance of a podium finish as a factory rider. Think about it when was the last time you saw a privateer have a chance. 8 -10 years ago. The modern 4 stroke almost ensures that he big elite factory teams will dominate. The cost of building a maintaining a 4 stroke at the highest level is beyond reach of the privateer. Back in the 2 stroke days it wasn't that way. So by changing the rules to favor the big factory teams they have all but gauranteed that the will not get smoked by some no-name local kid when they show up to race at his home track.

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
Re: The bottom line about the 4 stroke takeover.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
Good point.  Even in the days of the $100,000 works bikes, a privateer could still roll in and do some world-shaking.  Marty Moates comes to mind, for example.

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
That's why it's so important to get the displacement rules changed at least the way the petition on this site is shooting for! I know that it's still not equal displacement but the way the AMA operates anything that will even slightly benefit the 2-strokes is a great start! Maybe and hopefully one day Maico International will get big enough to get a team and some great riders and be able to unleash one of their big bore 2-strokes into AMA or FIM racing!!!

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
Now I don't know all the facts, but there is one privateer who is doing really well on the National circuit, his name is Kyle Regal. He races a CRF450 out of a regular van!

This kid regularly embarrasses the factory guys... at Unadilla he passed his way forward to a 6th place (I was not near the finish line, but that's where I counted him on the last lap)

He passed some pretty big names and made it stick. He also finished 2nd in the second moto in Texas... don't know much about him or his deal, but he is making it happen.

Even on the four-stroke....
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
Now I don't know all the facts, but there is one privateer who is doing really well on the National circuit, his name is Kyle Regal. He races a CRF450 out of a regular van!

This kid regularly embarrasses the factory guys... at Unadilla he passed his way forward to a 6th place (I was not near the finish line, but that's where I counted him on the last lap)

He passed some pretty big names and made it stick. He also finished 2nd in the second moto in Texas... don't know much about him or his deal, but he is making it happen.

I love to see a privateer do really great in a National race no matter what kind of bike 2 or 4 stroke they decide to race! I would also love to see Mike Leavitt of Project 250 kick some butt on that awesome YZ-250.I know his lap times are good so he should be do to get up front and in the Main here real soon... ;D

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

Hey, maybe that rider would be interested in a Project two 50 ride next season if you are planning on expanding the team? Did you get a chance to talk to him?
I'd rather be riding...