Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Anybody got some tips for riding in sand for me???  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
Anybody got some tips for riding in sand for me???
« on: August 13, 2010, 08:53:43 PM »
Next Weekend I plan to take my YZ250 out to my local motocross track that has a main Motocross track "The Main track is made of loamy sand and a little bit of clay." , an oval track,and the newly added SX track that is made of a clay mixture ;D. Anyways I'm sure I will get tips from the riders there, but I wanted to hear from you fellow sand riders. I'm new to riding motocross so I'm looking for tips on the basics like corners and stuff like that. I hear its all about the corners :) I also hear that If you can ride in sand, you can ride in anything. So please guys tell me how to rail those berms so i can impress the ladies and not fall constantly like a noob  :D

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody got some tips for riding in sand for me???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 05:10:14 AM »
If you have never ridden sand before, you are unfortunately going to "fall like noob", as you put it. A couple of pointers that I can offer, is to get onto the balls of your feet and stand as much as you can on , as a sand track gets rough quick. Also, brake earlier, sit earlier, and drive through the corners on the gas. Also, take flowing lines as much as possible, you need to keep your momentum up as much as you can. I think these couple of key points should really help you out.

Sand tracks can also tire you out faster, so dont over do it, and get a few motos under your belt before you have any ladies with you that you want to impress.

And .... HOLD IT ON !!!!!!!!!!!

;D
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
As swapper said and be prepared to get comfortable with the front end hunting around.Stay back on the bike and keep your speed up so you can keep the front end light.With sand,when you go slow and get the weight more on the front end the front wheel wants to knife in and pull you sideways.Stay loose,weight back,and keep the front end light.
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline ridered125

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:40:04 AM »
Make sure you have a good back tire. The right tire makes it much easier on you and the motor. The Michelin S-12 is good in the sand and the Dunlop 773 is very good, too. The other responses you got are right on. Don't try and wrestle with bars when they start wiggling. Look ahead and stay on the throttle in the straights. I love the sand, funnest thing you can ride on.

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:33 AM »
Thanks Guys, And yes I've got sand tires on the bike. As that is what mainly what Florida tracks are made of... I know i will fall.. And I'm not really out to impress anybody that was just a joke lol..  :D  I'm just looking to have fun..   :)

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Which track are you going to? And have you gone ridding at Croom yet? It would be best to start riding at a place like Croom or go on school day at your track and go with the beginers to start with. Most of the guys at local track are very fast hard to learn with.
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »
Which track are you going to? And have you gone ridding at Croom yet? It would be best to start riding at a place like Croom or go on school day at your track and go with the beginers to start with. Most of the guys at local track are very fast hard to learn with.

Bartow Motocross is my local track. And no haven't gone to croom. Haven't gone anywhere yet. Some buds of mine who ride quads invited me to go out to Suburban Estates in Holopaw Florida, since they own land out there. there is mud, sand, clay, and everything in between.

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
Its been a few years sense we've been to Bartow but it was real sandy. Go riding with your friends on the private land first. Go to bartow later
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:55 AM »
I use to ride in a sand quarry every weekend and I've always enjoyed riding in sand but the advice that Swapper and Ford gave you is very good & accurate advice! One thing that I've noticed about riding or racing with friends in the sand quarry is that if you go too slow the front wheel sinks in the sand and that's when it really starts to wobble around like crazy! It kind of fells like high speed wobbles in slow motion so I would most definetly keep your speed up the whole time your in any sand and like Ford said stand on the balls of your feet as much as you can & stay on the throttle as much as possible! After you get used to the sand you'll probably start to love racing or just riding in it.It's a BLAST... :P

Offline SwapperMX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 04:21:18 AM »
like Ford said stand on the balls of your feet as much as you can & stay on the throttle as much as possible!

C'mon, credit where credits due !!!!!!!
I think I said that !!!!!
LOL

:P      :P     :P
Two Stroke - A Revolution or Extinction ??

You DECIDE !!

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:27 AM »
My humble apologies SwapperMX.You are the one that gave that great piece of advice.... :)

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »
So basically don't be afraid to use the throttle? Okay.  ;D

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
So basically don't be afraid to use the throttle? Okay.  ;D
You got it, and grip with ya knees when ya standin up.
If ya can remember everything these guys have told ya you will rip it up.. ;D ;D

Have you got any moto vids you can watch? Preferably of a national at southwick or somethin like that, thats what i used to do when i started out, i used to study the riders styles and how they made it look so easy.  :D :Dgood luck
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
Careful with the brakes especially front.Sand is great fun and you can ride super fast in it once the technique is learned.Remember when in doubt throttle it out!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:34:28 PM by offroader »

Offline Braap257

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
Careful with the brakes especially front.Sand is great fun and you can ride super fast in it once the techniques is learned.Remember when in doubt throttle it out!

I will remember that.