Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: What did the '70s Look Like? This!  (Read 3847 times)

Offline JETZcorp

• Professional
  • Life, Liberty, and Horsepower
    • View Profile
What did the '70s Look Like? This!
« on: August 13, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
So I was randomly surfing Google a few minutes ago and happened upon a thread on ThumperTalk where someone posted the link to watch On Any Sunday.  This, of course, sparked a wave of grizzled old vintage guys to come out of the woodwork.  During the proceedings, someone posted this picture that was taken in 1978-79 (although the bike is an early '70s model).  It is just so ridiculously and thoroughly '70s that I just had to share it.

By the way, notice the clearance between the gas tank and the cylinder!  Get some air moving over that and you'll start to see ice forming in the transfer ports pretty soon.

Here's the forum thread this was taken from, by the way.  Looks like one of the people at TT there went to an ISDE on a '73 Hodaka and wiped everyone out.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-798010.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:07:58 AM by JETZcorp »

Is this Maico a 440 or only a 400?  Well in all the confusion, I forgot myself.
But considering this is a 1978 Magnum, the best-handling bike in the world, you have to ask yourself one question.
Do you feel lucky, punk?

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: What did the '70s Look Like? This!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:27:04 AM »
Personally the 1970's sort of looked like this....

Fishkill NY 1977 on a 1976 RM250. Notice the rear trials tire... it was scrambles back then....

The following year (1978) I bought one of these beasts from Honda...

I know that a bunch of folks on here love the old bikes, but I really looked forward to the bikes getting better every year.

Just my $.02
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline offroader

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:36:01 AM »
Yeah that pic might be early 70's.John,nice pics.Is that you riding?

Offline maicoman009

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »
I've always wanted to get one of those early 70's Maico coffin shaped tanks and mount one painted black on a Harley Davidson chopper! I'm not even a big Harley fan but I've always wanted to do that one day! I think it would look pretty cool.... 8)  ;)  :)

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »
So I was randomly surfing Google a few minutes ago and happened upon a thread on ThumperTalk where someone posted the link to watch On Any Sunday.  This, of course, sparked a wave of grizzled old vintage guys to come out of the woodwork.  During the proceedings, someone posted this picture that was taken in 1978-79 (although the bike is an early '70s model).  It is just so ridiculously and thoroughly '70s that I just had to share it.

By the way, notice the clearance between the gas tank and the cylinder!  Get some air moving over that and you'll start to see ice forming in the transfer ports pretty soon.

Here's the forum thread this was taken from, by the way.  Looks like one of the people at TT there went to an ISDE on a '73 Hodaka and wiped everyone out.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-798010.html

Ah yes,the infamous "Three Dog Night" album cover.You know,I never really understood it-until now :)

I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.