Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Update to the AMA Rule of the week!!  (Read 7083 times)

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
Re: Update to the AMA Rule of the week!!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
What happened?? I mean after it hit the pole and all?
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline Out of Order

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
Pretty much the same as the bike pictured but a little more banged up. To me it didn't seem like a lot of damage for hitting a pole at 80mph. I saw it in a magazine about 8-9 years ago.

Recovered

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
The picture is not that good, but...notice where it broke? They are designed to flexx at the steering head (and other places) to help them turn. That broke in a place where it is NOT supposed to flex. Also, it is very close to the heat affected zone from the weld. Either it wasn't heat treated, was heat treated incorrectly, or just like a paper clip, failed from poor design.

How many of these chassis' fracture when the pros ride them and we are not told about it? You can't magna-flux aluminum to inspect for fractures. You can use various spray-on inspection methods, with sometimes compromised results. If I owned a aluminum framed dirt bike (I won't) I would have a regular inspection schedule where I stripped the bike down to the frame and looked it over with a fine toothed comb. Then I would sell it. But that's just me :-X

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 10:41:25 AM »
Just wondering, but why would they make a rule about not allowing race teams to polish their frames, I wouldn't think it would affect performance.

Just to clarify what the others have already said, before polishing some one could (hypothetically ;-) ) use a grinder and remove some of the aluminum from the frame before polishing. This would be done to lower weight (removing material makes things lighter) and to increase frame flex (something that Aluminum doesn't really like to do much of before breaking)

Remember that the people that would do something like this woud most likely replace the frame very often so as not to have stressed or broken frames.

This is something that can happen to an aluminum frame when stressed...

What a good way to shave some weight.. Just split the bike in half! This is also happening with the sportbikes.. scarry.
Formula over substance will ALWAYS sell more.

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
Like the frames from KTM.

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
From what I have gathered about the number 60 bike that is in two pieces is that when the frame was modified it was either not heat treated or the weld was weak. From eye witness accounts, there was some space showing at the front of the frame before it broke in half.

The racer was Scott Elderfield and the bike was NOT a Service Honda. It was done in the UK.

Hey 2smoker... whats the deal with the 4 stroke KTM photo?? Is that on your wish list?? :P :P
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline 2smoker

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
hahaha sure John! Like the Orange frame! This is it!

What about this one?

Recovered

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:24 PM »
Personally, I feel like if the rules package was corrected, you could have companies like Service Honda (just to name one) that could develop their own frames, with updated geometry, and you could put any engine in it you would like. And it would still be AMA legal. Bikes would be safer.

I also KNEW the street bike frames were going to start failing!!.
I have a 600 Triumph and I can wheelie that thing as far as I want, and I'm working on my stoppies. The problem is getting the correct "touch" when setting the front wheel back down. You can bottom out the forks and send a terrific impact to the chassis. I don't want to die on that bike so I am cautious about that stuff.

And I only do wheelies and stoppies in off-road, closed course venues >:D ;D ;) ::) :P :-X 8)

Offline Hondacrrider

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
hahaha sure John! Like the Orange frame! This is it!

What about this one?
Now that is a sweet bike!
I'd rather be riding...