Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Rumours,Rumours!  (Read 37930 times)

Offline factoryX

• Professional
  • Hurry! Follow the other farting sheep!
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours,Rumours!
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
LOL, its alcohol, and its cheap for now :-X.
LOL, the only time I had a detonation problem was when I ran 92 octane Premium with 10% ethanol, here is a pic:

This happened 5 minutes after it went into the bike.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:59:22 AM by factoryX »

I ride an 03 yz250, wait 04, wait 05, what ever, they're all the same #$@% YOU!

Offline miedosoracing

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
LOL, its alcohol, and its cheap for now :-X.
LOL, the only time I had a detonation problem was when I ran 92 octane Premium with 10% ethanol, here is a pic:

This happened 5 minutes after it went into the bike.  
You can't blame the ethanol.   :P   Maybe the fact that it is used to raise octane, but not the ethanol in itself. Because it has a higher octane level. Our fuel has all kinds of additives.  Did you know xylene is in your fuel to buy?  It's crap fuel period.  I make my own fuels at times, but it ends up being a pain, getting accurate numbers. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:24:40 PM by miedosoracing »
www.miedosoracing.com
Fightin the system like a 2 stroke modern day Robin Hood!

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

You can't blame the ethanol.   :P   Maybe the fact that it is used to raise octane, but not the ethanol in itself. Because it has a higher octane level. Our fuel has all kinds of additives.  Did you know xylene is in your fuel to buy?  It's crap fuel period.  I make my own fuels at times, but it ends up being a pain, getting accurate numbers. 

Which is one of the reasons I run Avgas, the fuel is more consistent, and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought alcohol and oil didn't mix.
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
I run 92 octane ethanol free premium, and it eats plastic cups.. :-X
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:06:46 PM by factoryX »

Offline riffraff

• Professional
  • Still smokin' after all these years
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
I run 92 octane ethanol free premium, it eats plastic cups.. :-X

100LL Avgas won't harm a styrofoam cup but if you mix any auto fuel with it the cup gets eaten up
aaahhhhh yes, I remember the good old days

Offline factoryX

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
weird.

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:10 AM »

Which is one of the reasons I run Avgas, the fuel is more consistent, and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought alcohol and oil didn't mix.
Now i don't claim to be an expert on fuel but i'm of the understanding av gas isn't as volatile due to use at altitude, and that negates it's performance potential. I've been recommended to mix it 50/50 with 98 pump gas and have done with good results.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 01:20:34 AM »
I can't claim to know much about blending gas but my experience has shown me that:

When I ran race gas (up to 2001), I'd buy a 55 gallon barrel of Sunoco 116 leaded race gas and it worked out to $3.50 a gallon more or less (ah, the good ol' days). We tried mixing it with pump gas but we could not get consistent gas from the stations to get a consistent blend so we ran it straight. That had the added benefit that I wouldn't be throwing gas away (or using it in my cars) we it went bad at the end of the month.
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline teriks

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:25 AM »
Care to elaborate on the 'not good for part throttle or off pipe' piece?

Sure off pipe refers to when the engine is not in phase or 'powerband' , part throttle is well part throttle both of which are intertwined on a 2T engine because the pipe is not working, when the pipe doesn't work nor does everything else in the engine.
Sorry, I guess I was "a bit" vague in my question. I was more looking for the reason why you think that DI is unsuitable for such operating conditions. (links?)
I would think quite the opposite, as long as the computer knows what amount of fuel to inject for every given operating condition. -That's probably the challenge...

Have a think about this. There was a time when the horse not horsepower was everyday transport for the masses. Today there are still horses they are not used for mass transport but for recreation and horse racing is a multi billion dollar industry. If alternatives to the IC engine(2T or 4T) that's how I would like to see it end up.
I don't care for that kind of horse, racing or not ;)

The use of Bio fuels (e85 in particular) can stop harmfull/particulate emissions buy 80-90% in a 2T engine. I have yet to hear of any country banning 2T or pre-mix.
This might be of interest, on the topic of DI two-strokes:
http://www.orbitalcorp.com.au/tp/pdf/2007-32-0001.pdf

Offline 2T Institute

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »
Computer might know lots of things but try getting it to talk to the pipe. The pipe governs everything.There is a few things I cannot say much about at this stage, hopefully IF it is taken up by manufacturers you will see what I mean.

I Australia we get very good fuel from the pump I have a unspecified blend of 98 RON and e85 fuel each and every time it's dynoed we see a gain like this.Avgas gan make some good HP (it is made not to detonate) but you can make more with unleaded as it burns much faster.Avgas and ULP require completely different set ups so mixing 50/50 seems like a half pregnant idea to me.

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »
Computer might know lots of things but try getting it to talk to the pipe. The pipe governs everything.

I don't think it is that hard. The computer can read sensors in the pipe and engine to "adjust" fuel/air mixture and exhaust valve size.

Pipe design is easily done today with a computer program ($14 online!).

Now down get me wrong, I'm sure the knowledge of an expert 2-stroke pipe builder/turner is irreplaceable, but the basics can be done on computer and probably on the fly (fresh ding on your pipe today? - tweak tweak!)

08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline TotalNZ

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
Computer might know lots of things but try getting it to talk to the pipe. The pipe governs everything.

I don't think it is that hard. The computer can read sensors in the pipe and engine to "adjust" fuel/air mixture and exhaust valve size.

Pipe design is easily done today with a computer program ($14 online!).

Now down get me wrong, I'm sure the knowledge of an expert 2-stroke pipe builder/turner is irreplaceable, but the basics can be done on computer and probably on the fly (fresh ding on your pipe today? - tweak tweak!)

putting a sensor in a 2stroke exhaust pipe has lots of problems i'd think.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
All this talk of DI,pipe sensors,hit etc strikes me as kind of funny.This is all old hat on snowmobiles.I can't imagine anyone having an issue with DI.It may well be the savior of the 2t engine as we know it.Besides,anyone who has ever ridden a DI or SDI set up(hand in the air here)can attest that there are zero performance issues.They flat out fly-plain and simple-with enough "hit" to put you over backwards on your head.Better performance,economy and emissions may be an obvious downside. ;D
On the other hand,I imagine many complained when "reliable" drum brakes were replaced with new-fangled,"hopelessly problematic" discs. ;)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2011, 02:18:34 PM »
This is exactly the same discusion I remember having with other mechanics in the mid 80's when EFI came out on cars.
How did that go.? ;)

putting a sensor in a 2stroke exhaust pipe has lots of problems i'd think.

The old Ficht system had an exhaust pressure sensor. And yes they used to block occasionally. 200-300 Hours.
I think it was caused by the oil as I have tried it in my bike and it runs very sooty.
Easily fixed with better oil.
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
2T Institute.
You seem to know abit about 2 strokes. ;)
Do you know if the orbital 450DI dyno chart we have all seen, If they were running a standard expansion chamber design or if they tried something different.?
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough