Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Friend's, American's Motocrosser's Lend me your ears  (Read 5313 times)

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
Friend''s, American''s Motocrosser''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
SFB Racing in Italy had a 6th gear kit for CRs.... May be a real PITA to track that down however... For most mortals, 5 gears is plenty. Super Trucker knows his stuff when it comes to cr125s...

Meh. Doesnt hurt to dream I guess.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »

Offline cnrcpla

• Novice
    • View Profile
Friend''''s, American''''s Motocrosser''''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
Cnrcpla, 6,000 dollar's is pretty reasonable sounding to me. I think it might cost a little more. Wish i knew some one on this site to mock up a computer image of the bike were talking about. A bike, i guess you would call it a cr for now but no longer a honda cr. What component's that are put on the bike are the best that's here right now ktm motor,yamaha sst fork's, maybe even the yamaha transmission if it can be made as good or better than the best transmission out now. Just the best part's for the money, and for me if i were dreaming what ever that is that make's a steel framed or aluminum framed honda cr125 handle the way a honda cr125 handles,the red plastic the 07 front and rear fender and you say for 6,000 dollar's. CNRCPLA if you can build that bike with a smart carb and a few other new technology for 6 or 7 maybe even dare i say it 8,000 dollar's your in the motorcycle business. Cnrcpla i'm going to bed so i can get to work tomorrow and ask my boss for overtime,so i can buy one of these bike's. You stay up and get started on the bike's.6000 dollar's sound good,very good. Is it to early to place an order?   KIM
I probably low-balled it at 6k, but the only other factor your missing up there that is worth even more than money is TIME. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or all the skills to make it... Going to school and working has left me with very little time, time that I fill with riding. But, hey if I had a bunch of help and some sponsorship money to get this project in the air, I could probably make most of it work. The other odds and ends like a custom pipe and plastics would probably have to be dealt with by someone else. But, like the others have said, its mostly fantasy and preference. But that frankin-bike with all the best parts would be a beast if it was built right.

PS: even if someone was to build it for 6k, I am willing to bet that they would sell it for at least 50% more, like say 9k at least.

Offline Super Trucker

• Professional
    • View Profile
Friend''''''''s, American''''''''s Motocrosser''''''''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
SRS racing has the trickest cr125 stuff. A higher 1st gear, there pistons are the best racing piston available. There focus is on 4-st now. They once had heads with fins, there own pipe and silencer, ignition made by jd, reeds, plug wire, carbon fiber and factory mag. ignition,clutch covers, porting,etc. I ordered  a bunch of stuff in 05, then the USA importer went out of buisness :'(.  On the Italian site they only show 125 pistons, I,m sure they have the 1st gear yet. Jm racing in Texas helped SRS with there motor program, for racing the 125 gp,s. Jm racing built  Ryan Dungee,s Rm125, Josh Grant,s cr125, Team Grean 125,s  Tara Giegers 04 cr125 54mm bore with stroker crank that pulled holeshots all year, and my 04. The trick parts went away when the pro,s switched to 4-sts.

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
It sure suck's that companies like srs racing were so short sided in their marketing.If i was srs racing i'd be still selling my stuff,especially if it's the best. Maybe someone should contact them and tell them,show them all the rider's still on 2-stroke's, maybe just maybe knock some sense into their head and get back some kick butt products for 2-stroke's. I mean if some component is best even if the company does'nt make them any more contact them give em a chance to respond before moving on to the next company.In these economic time's it might be just the right thing to do to motovate that company. Some of you make building a bike sound like it's a dream maybe i am being optimistic but it's better than being defeated before  you try.I'm no engineer but i've done better than90% of the work on my bike's through out the year's.Never fabricated any part's,but with the right tool's and material's i know i could make some radiator guard's for my bike not the radiator's themselves. I've got enough sense to let a radiator company do that for me. Just like alot of o.e.m. part's on our bike's their's a better part made at another company. I want to see what component's are best and readily available and what component's would need to be made to achieve a project like this. I think it would be tough but no way impossible.Beside's if i was an engineer this is the kind of challenge you live to conquer!!!    KIM

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
I am an engineer and Ive built custom bikes
I'm telling you, dont do it! Buy the bloody TM

9 thousand dollars and two years later you will have a half finished bike in the shed... wishing that you'd just bought the TM125 !

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
Jeram, The more this post goes on, the more i can see every part on my 07 cr125. I'm looking at it here in my garage/office and there's not a component on this bike that's unobtainable.There's no sense in ignoring all the engineering that got the bike's to this level.Whether you like honda's or not. If honda did nothing more than fix the flaw's of the 125 & 250 cr's and sold today basically  kick butt 2007 cr's.How many honda rider's would'nt want one of those bike's? I say alot of rider's would be at a honda shop put'in their hard earned money down. Does'nt look like honda's gonna do it so it's time someone does to show honda and the rest of the bike manufacture's we are capable of it our selve's. My 07's getting long in the tooth like everyone else's.If i'm not mistaken the majority of rider's are cr rider's, so why not build a bike if it's nothing more than assembling the part's. If it's custom the sky's the limit on price,materials,time and a slew of other thing's and usually ending in a show piece. I want a race bike not a show piece.The only thing i see holding this back is a frame maker' swing arm maker, and motor and transmission. Sound's like alot ,but does'nt brown brother's racing make frame's and swingarm's?If they do and wanted to do it, it would only leaves us with the motor and trans and back in the day athena made motor's for kx and yz's so it seem's possible that some company could do the same here maybe even athena. Now that leave's the tranmission Don't know of any after market cr transmission's or any after market transmission's for any bike.Have heard of rapid prototyping ,c.n.c. machining and i think if you break it down like this and look at all the info out there it's more than possible and it's long over do. Even if you tried sst fork's or some thing else new not on the bike now,the vender's if they want the business they'll sell or you move on to the next vender. Us american's as well as the rest of the world got these bike's built to this level by our blood,sweat and tear's as well as by our dollar's and if the manufacture's don't want to build them well it suck's to be them, and it's time to step up cause the bike manufacture's won't so it's time we do. At this point in my rant i have patriotic music in the background it fire's me up!What's it take to fire up the right people to get these bike's built? It should only take the sound of a 2-stroke,the smell of a 2-stroke,the sight of a 2-stroke,the touch of a 2-stroke ok you got me on taste of a 2-stroke but all the rest should be enough to get the job done. Now who's up to the task????????????     KIM

Offline gpnewhouse7

• View Profile
Friend's, American's Motocrosser's Lend me your ears
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 07:22:32 PM »
Kim the problem with building a production bike that is exactly as you want it is that:

1) Everyones ideal bike is different.
2) The cost would be so high that it would make a 450 seem like a bargain.
3) Why would another company want to build a Honda? They would want their brand name on for advertising if the bike won.

I know what your trying to do but you would be better off doing a conversion or modifying your cr and just posting the results for others in order to inspire them to do the same which could eventually lead to a service honda style company specializing in the building of these bikes commercially.

Offline msmola2002

• Expert
    • View Profile
Friend''s, American''s Motocrosser''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Rider's, I love all the reply's i've gotten to my post. I still think a kick butt 125 2-stroke built by who ever should cost roughly the same as one built by the bike manufacturer's.

And I'd like a gold plated toilet seat. Probability of both are similar.

Offline kim wedding

• View Profile
Friend''''s, American''''s Motocrosser''''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
Super trucker, You telling me a person can buy a cr125 motor that would fit in a 07 cr125 frame?Then tell me if it's possible to take my 07 transmission and make a 6 speed out of it.Truth is you and me seem to differ on 5 speed or 6 speed for the transmission, but i'm willing to bet the transmission case's could work for both of us. If they don't already now a little engineering would fix it.Now one of you said about getting all the honda rider's agreeing on one bike and you'r right that's a little tougher ,but one thing's for sure a real honda rider want's a cr to ride and the 04-07 cr 125 is awesome, only need's a few fix'es same thing with the cr250.From what i've seen right here on this site it seem's like every thing i've said is really already done. Another one of you said about a company would'nt want to build a honda cr125 as if it would hurt their pride.Honda got their technology from you and me.Anyone whoever bought a honda paid for that technology and if honda does'nt want to build these bike's let someone else do it.Honda threw this technology away and as far as i'm consurned i'd be proud to be part of a company that could build a good as or better honda cr125.If you can do it it's quite a achievement cause a honda built bike is a excellent machine.Gpnewhouse7, you said about the service honda 125.I can't take the 2-stroke motor's in those over-sized 4$ frame's. The frame's should be made purpose built for the motor like they use to be and like i say the RIGHT WAY. Maybe i'm a little crazy but the 04-07 honda cr125 & cr250 are  great looking machine and i don't think the new plastic that come's on the 4$ look's as good as my plastic, neither does the 4$ frame. Now if the frame's have been improved since 07 and that technology will work on the 2-stroke than add that technology and if the frame's are better. What's better is it a less vibrating frame,lighter weight,stronger???????????The only plastic thing i would change on my 07 cr125 is the front number plate. The shield if turned right on a can of raid bug poison would look cool as a front number plate.Look's kind of like a praying mantis head.   KIM

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
Friend''''''''s, American''''''''s Motocrosser''''''''s Lend me your ears
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 01:11:58 AM »
ortho is good for killing bugs.

Offline Jeram

• Novice
    • View Profile
Not quiet sure what the cr125 obsession is all about... Have you test riden the latest offering from tm and fantic, ktm and husky?

I'm just not sure if your understanding what I'm telling you.
So lets put it this way, If it was affordable to make a one off frame and Swing arm which is better than the engineers at Honda could manage don't you think we'd all have one?

Before arguing. Try calling these frame guys and ask them how much it will cost to design and fabricate one chassis. If I'm wrong I will eat humble pie.

If u want people to get on board with your idea you will need to do your homework by working out exactly how much every component will cost. It will take some effort but shouldn't take longer that a couple weeks.

But I think mainly your missing the point, you want a remanufactured and updated CR125.... That's pretty much a TM125. If you succeeded in getting a company to make an updated cr125 for you it will pretty much be a tm125!!!

To do list for you:
Book yourself a test ride on a TM
Do your homework on costs
Work out whether what your trying to acheive is already for sale (TM)

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
I am not a TM fan personally, but Jeram is correct. I was also never a fan of mid-'90s Hondas but if you want a base idea of the cost of doing this, price a Service Honda. The idea here is that they have created/copied their own frame (not a kit to stiff into a 250F/450F frame). They also buy NEW big motors from Honda, not Craigs List dogs that are freshened up. They have some production line service and dealer discount to lower the price a bit but you will be going a bit smaller so figure retail is about a good starting point and go up from there.

Although I highly respect TM and really love their commitment and what they are doing, I have just had bad luck with them in the past. That may have had a lot to do with the sketchy dealer network in the '90's and less to do with the machines, but...
08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk