Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: Project: YZ250R  (Read 21098 times)

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
Project: YZ250R
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »
That is very nice, just what Yamaha should be making, love it white red n black too, top job
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by ' »
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
Nice.... Really nice.  Where is the Smart Carb? Like the hydro clutch, but a little surprised you didn't try fitting a case slave. Great bike all in all.

I may have missed this part, but what is the purpose of this build? Replication/sales? Personal fun? I would be pretty into this bike as a choice...

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:33 AM »
Ahh okay, I thought you had modified the YZ frame. So is this just a test bed for future YZ modifications? Have you made any changes to the air intake? Have you thought any different suspension set ups or variable pipe set ups?

Just interested in your plans.

Yes this is our base platform build for the next phase of our future YZ250Ri project. In the meantime we will extensively test this build and make any necessary changes in order to get the best power and handling package. With this initial build we wanted to keep it as simple as possible and not introduce to many variables in order to properly evaluate the key changes made. Once this bike performs up to our likings we will start the new YZ250Ri project which it's main focus will be on the fuel injection. 

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
Nice.... Really nice.  Where is the Smart Carb? Like the hydro clutch, but a little surprised you didn't try fitting a case slave. Great bike all in all.

I may have missed this part, but what is the purpose of this build? Replication/sales? Personal fun? I would be pretty into this bike as a choice...

Still waiting on the SmartCarb to arrive.

In short my passion of the sport and the 2 stroke is what started this project. That combined with my engineering knowledge and availability to produce pretty much anything I need within my company is what started it all. With all that in mind it was not started to sell units rather then develop something unique that can be ongoing. However I have been approached numerous times now about building them for people and I wouldn't mind once it is properly tested and performs to my standard. I am working with companies to see what can be done to get the components required in order to make this happen so that the bikes can be produced in whole or as a kit without costing an arm and a leg. That is and will be the challenge for now.

Offline ford832

• Professional
  • I PITY THE FOOL THAT RIDES A FOURSTROKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »
 :o Wow,nice job. 8)
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

Offline luthier269

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:21 AM »
What size rear tire is on it? And what size rim?
Motocross is a real sport all the rest are just games

Offline nom de guerre

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »
Gotcha on the Smart Carb... All are on back order, except the 40mm...

Thanks for the personal insight TCI... If this bike is just the beginning, I can't wait to see what is next!! I would be very interested in one of your bikes if you ever choose to produce anything for consumers.

Well done.

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
What size rear tire is on it? And what size rim?

110/90-19 on a stock YZ250 rear wheel.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 07:24:33 AM »
Looks great. 8)
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
So, we have just another AF conversion, as I noted in my previous posting.

So Far.

Engine re-location - yes - 05 /13 YZ250 chassis to current model (?) YZF250 chassis.

Going by what you've said, the CS centre replicates the CS location of the original YZF engine.

You might have just been able to fit it straight in, with the centred hole case inserts. Perhaps, you may have had to make eccentric case inserts to achieve the CS location.

That might have resulted in the crank centre height being higher, or lower than it was on the 05 /13 frame. Certainly, the crank centre could be much lower than the OEM 4t engine.

With, or without a modified SA case insert, adjust ability for raising / lowering, the crank centre, could be achieved by 'slotted' lower forward engine mounts, and the front engine mounts - but that would be dodgy engineering, even with 'top hat' type insert washers. Better would be eccentric spacers into the cases - if you had enough meat / clearance to fit them. By machining the case insert hole larger, if the cases allow it, at the SA pivot point, you could possibly go to a larger eccentric 'difference'. All these adjustable mount points, could give you, at a rough guess, 4 x 4, to perhaps a 10 x 10mm (a very optimistic range) 'square' to move the engine around in. Off course, the head steady, would require adjustment potential , or a few different plates. From what little I can see, the lower  and forward engine mounts, are 'plain' mounts, with no adjust ability - correct?

Something you could / should consider, is the use of engine mount plates - combined with a set of  adjustable SA pivot case inserts. This would give much better engine placement adjustment potential, Plus, the ability to tune the feel of the chassis. Look to the variety of materials / thickness's of many mount plates used on a lot of the modern 4ts. 

The last 2 AFs I made, were Gen 5 frames. A big improvement over the 4s. With those, I made the new, full cradle, to take removable plates. These were made for 2 friends of mine, who are / were Pro Level riders, that I've worked with for many years. So, they know how to develop / evaluate changes. And I know how to decipher their 'impressions and descriptions' of what a bike / each modification is doing. All up, I think we went through 10 sets of plates, in various materials, in various thickness's, and in various shapes. Each rider picked a different combination, as their 'best' setting. But, each rider gave me an equal rating of another set up as being their second pick.  Engine mounting, can deliver considerable changes in the 'feel' and handling of a bike.

Something to be aware of, is to make the head stay mounts, so the top spars can still flex as intended - when viewed from above, the flex would be the spars widening. This is one of the major things that has been part of the evolution of previously far too rigid aluminium twin spar frames. This may be an improvement over the original aluminium back bone frame. You can right royally stuff up the handling with overly rigid head stay plates, and, indeed, create stress raisers, that will lead to spar cracking / breakage, if the bike is ridden Hard.

The fuel will be carried higher than the original 'saddle' type tank on the 05/13, with the existing YZF tank. Especially if you go to an aftermarket tank, to match the capacity of the original bike. You could, make a tank to make use of all that airspace that is available now that the 4t engine has been given the flick. Of course, the lower 2t engine, with no cams and valves, will have the advantage that the loss of those items (giro effect gone from those parts too), and engine height will deliver - plus the much lower carb, that will be a fair bit lighter than the 4ts FCR. The machined Smartcarb though, I'm pretty sure, will be heavier than the OEM carb.  But, the , what I believe will be considerable benefits / improvements in the carburetion, will far outweigh a few ounces of added weight. I'm very impressed with the Smartcarb. Yes, without having used one - yet. With 'DFI' you could have a chance of fabricating a tank, to go into the area the carb currently sits - as a simple throttle valve / body, could be much smaller, and require little access.

I doubt that much weight savings will come from the engine swap , I think I've read that the YZ engine is a 54 / 56lb item. No effort has been put into the YZ engine to lighten it significantly in at least a decade, perhaps many more years than that. And, a conventional material chamber,and muffler, are often heavier than a full Ti 4t system. And, it would take the use of much thinner section / gauge aluminium frame parts, for the twin spar frame to be appreciably lighter than the incredibly simple / minimal parts count, 05 /13 back bone frame. There are far more sections / items to the twin spar frame, than the back bone frame. Perhaps, any real weight saving, may come from the swing arm, linkage and rear hub - the fitment of previous model YZF parts, has long been used to remove approximately 1.5 / 2lbs from the YZ250 2t. Plus the smaller tank / thinner plastics that 4ts have gone to.

Radiator re-location? Many would know of the Dubach Racing Radiator lowering kits - perhaps you might do that?

Or, relocating the radiators, better still,  using a smaller single radiator, with a light weight fan, could offer a weight saving / useful weight re-distribution. Trials bikes use smaller radiators, some with fans, and believe me, that they are not moving through a stream of fresh air, and they can be under serious load, means they can get hotter than an MXer that is going relatively fast, with a good fresh air feed.

Perhaps you intend to eventually make use of the air space created by the lower engine, and put the exhaust in that spot? As noted on another thread here, 2ts Do Not require the stinger to be at the end of the convergent cone.  Use of a long known technique for the stinger exit, could give you the room to have part of the chamber in the newly available air space above the 2t engine. The old 'Snake Pipe' build , at least part of it, could be put to use. And, you may minimise the 2t bugbear of easily damaged exhaust pipes.

You've currently used the logical idea of making the pipe and muffler mounts, to suit the OEM items - which  should enable you to use existed aftermarket parts. That, I assume, would be the modifications to the subframe that I think I saw mentioned, though, you may also be considering the now common  subframe lowering modifications that many do. A simple cut, shut and weld. Or, eventually, a monocoque construction subframe / airbox, in any number of materials

A mate of mine, early this year, put an YZ 2t into a 2012 YZF chassis - like what has been done here. And I'm sure there are quite a few around. His reportage of the difference between his expertly set up and fettled run of aluminium back bone framed YZs, has been "it's pretty much, much of a muchness". The key benefit, is he had something a bit different to what he had before, and even now, with a lot of development and set up, he feels that the original chassis, is in no way overshadowed by the YZF chassis. He, has, for quite a few years, run the YZF parts I mentioned above, that gave a useful weight loss.

Which brings me to the whole AF thing. An AF, can be made with tools as basic as a hacksaw, some files, and a drill and bits, with a TIG Machine to hand, or a TIG Welder that you can pay to do the 12 to say, 20 inches of welding. It's the most basic of 'engineering', and plenty of blokes in their garages do it - many, do a far better job than the companies that charge a small fortune for an AF conversion. Better tools and equipment, can make it easier to do, and, I favour replacement of the entire cradle over the cut and insert method, that is still done by 'noted' AF builders.

As for DFI - might I suggest you contact Athena, to see if they are intending to / have produced, one of their 'DFI" kits for the YZ. The upwardly pointed injector, high on the side of the barrel, is an elegant solution / alternative to the 'conventional DFI' set ups that 4ts and, I think, Evinrude / BRP - Rotax use - much of it licensed from Orbital. Athena's 'DFI' makes use of a 2ts flow patterns, without the need for complicated, heavy , expensive set ups that have been the norm. It also, is the sort of thing, that a competent engineer, could do themselves. That some regard a 'from above / in head DFI' as the Only DFI, is only through the fact that that has been the most common DFI 'solution'. And their lack imagination.

But, to repeat, we've an AF conversion here.

So Far.

I hope to see the results of further development, that will set this bike apart from a 'run of the mill' AF conversion.

Good luck to  TCR in their / his endeavour.

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
Thank you Debbie Downer for you thorough evaluation of our build. Just to be clear we didn't want or was it our intention to build a full on one off works bike, we leave that up to people like yourself. Surely there are plenty of people out there building conversions........never said we where the first ones. However there is more to it than just throwing a motor into a different frame but I'm sure you are fully aware of that.

Can you send me or post up some pictures of your conversions so I can evaluate them also? I have only seen pictures of the MPS bikes and would like to see what others have come up with to compliment them on their efforts to continue the quest of modern 2-strokes.

Have a great day and thanks again for your in depth reply......oh and it's TCI not TCR.

Offline citabjockey

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Yamaha Vintage Enduros
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
TCI - don't worry about beroso's dissertation's tone. He does this everytime he comments on a custom build. That said he sure does seem to know what he is talking about. Also, it did not sound to me like a downer review of your work to me (but I have seen his posts before).

All that said...  Cool looking bike. Can't wait to read about the DFI development!
Yamaha CT3, RT3, MX125, SC500, Toy Prius, Diesel F250 (it all balances out)

Offline twosmoke595

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
TCI - don't worry about beroso's dissertation's tone. He does this everytime he comments on a custom build. That said he sure does seem to know what he is talking about. Also, it did not sound to me like a downer review of your work to me (but I have seen his posts before).

All that said...  Cool looking bike. Can't wait to read about the DFI development!

same, i didnt see any negativity in his post, very informative, i think he was just adding onto your ideas as well as telling you his own

Offline _X_

• Professional
  • M.I.R.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
here's to bearasso.

Offline TCI Performance

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong....I agree with a lot of what he posted and therefore know he has good knowledge about this subject.

That's the reason I asked about some pictures of his own doings because I love seeing other peoples approaches. I am pretty new on here so I don't know if he has posted pictures in the past or not but if he did please post a link.

The problem is that some of them talk a good story but they can't back it up. Not saying that bearorso is that type of person especially since he sounds like someone that knows what he is talking about. But like I always say.....seeing is believing.

For me personally.......I applaud anyone trying to keep developing the 2-Strokes no matter if he is working out of a shed in the backyard or has a reputable company like myself.

Again our core business is not building bikes.....but it's the racing experience combined with the passion and knowledge that drives me personally to spend the time, effort and money to hopefully build the baddest looking most technologically advanced 2-Stroke to date. It's a dream of mine and I am going after it and nobody is going to change that.