Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: New member, saying hi and looking for advice!  (Read 6768 times)

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
Re: New member, saying hi and looking for advice!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
We used to have a local TM dealer but they shut down a few years back.  The bikes looked really nice... but I cant say Ive seen another dealership since.

How are the TM's for reliability?  Cost of doing say, a top end?  Thanks!

No problem with reliability at all.
Top end prices are the same as anything else if you were putting in an up market piston.
The factory pistons are made Wossner but a Wossner piston is cheaper. If that makes any sense.
They are not everyones cup of tea but if you want a fast bullet proof bike they are hard to go past.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:43:37 AM by TMKIWI »
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 04:54:31 AM »
I also asked the Zook dealership if there is any chance the Suzuki two stroke would ever be imported to N.A. again, like they have done in Australia.  He told me "No, you wont see them returning because of emission issues."

Seriously? 

I know I always get crap for saying this, but this is total crap!! While maybe in California where they have some serious problems with emissions it could be an issue.

The truth of the matter is that the EPA approved the TM and Maico two-strokes to be imported into the USA. This year! So my inclination is to say someone is either mis-informed or out-and-out lying!

A while back I wrote an article on the main site about emission, the EPA and two-strokes... it's pretty long but very eye-opening if you have the time to read it.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/04/the-epa-vs-motocross/
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline scotty dog

• Professional
  • because golf courses should be motocross tracks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:42 AM »
Welcome to the site pickles, Love the 93 model, i had one new back in 94 and loved it, one of the best bikes i have had, it even broke the power valve flap off and still ran perfectly (i found it in the muffler when i took it off to re pack it)... Make sure you keep us updated on the resto..

I reckon you should go with the new RM too, sounds like a a pretty good deal.. ;)
F**K THE WHALES......................SAVE THE 2 STROKE!!!!

The hardest part about riding a 4 stroke is telling your parents your Gay!!

05 CR 250

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
I also asked the Zook dealership if there is any chance the Suzuki two stroke would ever be imported to N.A. again, like they have done in Australia.  He told me "No, you wont see them returning because of emission issues."

Seriously?  

I know I always get crap for saying this, but this is total crap!! While maybe in California where they have some serious problems with emissions it could be an issue.

The truth of the matter is that the EPA approved the TM and Maico two-strokes to be imported into the USA. This year! So my inclination is to say someone is either mis-informed or out-and-out lying!

A while back I wrote an article on the main site about emission, the EPA and two-strokes... it's pretty long but very eye-opening if you have the time to read it.

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/04/the-epa-vs-motocross/

Very interesting read, thanks for that!  It seems to me, from what I read, that the EPA is almost shooting itself in the foot when it came to their clean act legislation.  Allowing four strokes to have rich air fuel mixtures ect to perform better, even though it undermines their end goal.  Lots of great info in there... I can understand why its easy for your average guy to think the EPA is the evil culprit behind the lack of new two stroke models on your dealership floor, but everything I read there seems to state the EPA has left the door wide open for the manufacturers to prove them wrong in their assessment of two strokes being "unclean". 

To look at sleds for a minute, some companies (most notably Yamaha) have really tried to push the four strokes into the market since they are more enviro friendly.  The problem is your serious mountain guys are having to turbo the R1 engines that Yamaha drops into their sleds to make them go up hills covered with soft powder.  Motocross has always been a power to weight ratio game, but its even more accentuated in sledding.  All things being equal, a sled simply does not perform well without running premix.  Yeah, you can turbo a 4 stroke, but you can also turbo the two strokes.  Some guys are getting 250 HP (or more) out of turbo'd 1 liter two strokes on pump gas.  Thats insane!  Now that Ski-Doo has come out with a direct injection motor, its only a matter of time until the other manufacturers catch on, because the two strokes are simply more effective on a mountain sled.

Well... anyways I thought it was kinda funny a salesman was telling me you wont see two strokes become imported again since they not emission friendly, yet the other dealer across down the road will happily set you up with a KTM, YZ... ect.  Cant wait till people stop forking cash over to the dealers to get new four stroke cylinders, valve trains, heads and make the big manufacturers go back into updating their two stroke lines.  If people talk with their wallets they will listen.

I guess in a way its already happening... 6 years ago or so seeing a KTM 2 stroke up in the mountains was kinda rare.  They are everywhere up here now.  I would bet that literally 1/2 if not more of the bikes I see up in the hills are orange. 

Thanks again for the article!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:48:59 PM by IPoopPickles »
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Welcome to the site pickles, Love the 93 model, i had one new back in 94 and loved it, one of the best bikes i have had, it even broke the power valve flap off and still ran perfectly (i found it in the muffler when i took it off to re pack it)... Make sure you keep us updated on the resto..

I reckon you should go with the new RM too, sounds like a a pretty good deal.. ;)

Thanks, that bike was awesome to me, so im going to return the favor and make it like new again.  :)  Can't believe your KX still ran with a busted power valve... let alone ran well.  :D

Well this weekend Im going to move the tore down KX into the basement, give me something to do over the winter.  Ill keep you guys updated.  :)
"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline JohnN

• Professional
  • Two Strokes Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:25:20 AM »
Hey Pickles,

Glad you liked the article. For anyone that has the patience to read the entire EPA document you will find out that the EPA is not evil but was more than willing to work with the manufacturers to improve emissions. In fact it seemed that one of the Big 4 was dead set on moving to four-strokes... and one of the Big 5 was interested in two-stroke technology. I wonder which one is which? LOL

When looking at the snowmobiles and outboard engines you find that two-strokes are on the rise. Evenrude has built direct injection machines that meet and exceed the standards, while still being light and powerful. Direct injection has also been used in sleds as well with similar results.

I know for a fact that KTM has some prototype mxers with direct injection. The reports that I have heard is that it works amazingly well.

What's the hold-up? Who knows....

The other aspect to keep in mind with motocross only, is currently the EPA emissions do not apply to closed course racing. Although they do for trail riding and in this area California has been the most influential because the largest majority of dirt bikes are sold there, so it's a real concern for the manufacturers.

The main issue to keep in mind is that the rumors of the EPA banning two-strokes is marketing driven and not a true statement.

To put everything into better perspective buildings (Homes, offices and factories) produce a bit over 38% of CO2 emissions. And as far as I know no one has a catalytic converter on there home furnace...

For those that hate the idea of alternative energy, imagine having a home that used no oil or electricity from a power plant to supply heating, cooling and electricity?? Should the USA move in that direction, the cost of oil would drop and emissions would be much lower. This sounds like a great idea.

Before you go into saying that the alternative forms of power need huge subsidies to be installed, keep in mind a few thoughts. The government currently subsidizes the oil industry to the the tune of $15 to $35 billion dollars per year! You pay this in your taxes.

Add the outrageous costs of the Afganastan and Iraq war that experts believe cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 billion dollars a DAY! The only reason we are in these wars is for oil! We all pay for this in our taxes. You can not find a higher subsidized industry than oil. This is all during a period of time when the oil companies profits have been skyrocketing.

A bunch of people are making tremendous amounts of money, thanks to the American taxpayer.

Now imagine that this level of money was used to research and install alternative energy in large installations across the country. The benefits would be many, including not sending huge amounts of money to the countries that support terrorism and the destruction of the US... second the cost of oil would drop significantly.

All I say is to keep an open mind and look at the big picture. For an example to see how expenses could be cut, look at the upgrades being performed on the Empire State building. By intelligent design they can improve the efficiency of the building by nearly 40%. So the investment in upgrades will be paid back to the owners in 4 years!! Totally unheard of. After that, the cost savings of running the building are tremendous.

Kind of makes you wonder... could it be the fight for oil is the reason the US and the world is in such a bad place financially???

[/off soapbox]
Life is short.

Smile while you still have teeth!

Offline chump6784

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »
definitely go for the RM. I have an 07 250 and it is one of the best bikes i have ridden. My brother who is a die hard kawasaki fan took it for a spin and came back saying wow that is a nice bike. has awesome handling and good power and for the price you can get it for i would jump on it

Offline socalcajun

• Expert
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
Welcome to the site Poop. ;D

While I will not argue with my fellow TSM members regarding the "other" brands I will throw in my  2 cent opinion and advise you to think GREEN.   

Ah hell just kiddin. If I my financil resources met those opportunities to have then I'd probably go the RM route myself.

Dream bike though is a Service Yamaha YZ300.  Look it up fellas its pretty sweet.
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of the Way

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Well, I (re)joined the two stroke revolution today.  :)

Picked up a very clean 08 KTM 250 SX.  The bike still has the original tires on it and they are at about 80% tread... chain and sprockets look brand new.

The weather here has been quite warm the last week, so I had a chance to run the bike down the back ally and wow what a motor.   ;D  Easily the beefiest feeling 250 engine Ive had a chance to ride, I'm stoked for spring mx.

I'll have some pictures up tonight.  :)

Oh, and when I lifted the bike onto the stand, I instantly remembered the one thing I really hated about that XR650...   :D

"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline MyckMcClung

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Welcome to the site, if you like the perimiter frame of the KX you'll likely like the RM as well, it has a semi perimiter frame, it handles alot quicker than your old KX though, but that's what RM's are known for. there is every aftermarket gizmo you can think of available for the RM as well. And the bike fits a tall rider well.
At that price for a brand new bike, I'd jump on it now, and sell the street bike later.
If a pair of 2" brass balls isn't working, I doubt that the 3" model will make much difference.

Offline Dirt Addict

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
enjoy the ktm. great bikes.  i had an 06 250sx.  it was really fun and basically what i learned to moto on.  my buddy just sold his 09 250sx.  another great year. the 08 is very close to the 09. 
checkout ktmtalk.com for anything and everything ktm.... jetting, suspension, electrical...etc...  i joined and  became a ''lifetime'' member a few years ago. part of the deal is a 25% discount on all oem parts thru munn racing (there is a link at the top of their page).  but it really helps keep the cost of parts down......

Offline IPoopPickles

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice Dirt Addict, I'll have to check that site out!

"...so I pinned it."

2008 KTM SX250
1993 Kawi KX250

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:57 AM »
My compliments on that sweet bike of yours!  :P

Enjoy it!