Coming Soon
Home > Forum

Author Topic: We need a boycott  (Read 5918 times)

Offline M.Rad.

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: We need a boycott
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 03:17:03 AM »
No-o-o-o!  Don't make me get rid of my CR500 :'( :'( :'(

What we need is a boycott of the AMA, for being a bunch of spineless pansies!  The Japanese would build whatever the public wants, and the public wants what wins.  Unless someone (The AMA) twists the rules unfairly...

Regards,.
M.Rad.

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:10:09 AM »
No-o-o-o!  Don't make me get rid of my CR500 :'( :'( :'(

CR500's are exempt from any boycott. ;D
If you don't fall off you are not going hard enough

Offline VintageBlueSmoke

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »
I've thought about boycotting the AMA but that would not solve anything and only hurt us in the long run. It would be like boycotting the US Government. In the end, you'd be labled a fringe character or worse a terrorist and delt with. Firmly. No, what we need is to continue to work from within the AMA - and the FIM.

Our enemy is FELD motorsport (Supercross, Motocross and yes Monster Energy Cup) in America and Youthstream in Europe. They are the ones that are changing what we love from a SPORT to a SHOW. They don't care about anything except making money and to do that they need TV. Motocross has to be made TV friendly, regardless of the impact on the SPORT or who has to foot the bills. They took a page right out of Bernie Ecclstone's playbook and are copying it to the letter.

The only way we can win is to be the festering cancer from within the AMA and FIM. That is how Feld, Youthstream, and American Honda did it.

08 Speed Bird Quad 110, 08 KTM 144, 04 Suzuki LT-Z400, 03 Gas Gas EC, 300,97 Honda CR144, 96 Husky Boy 50, 88 Husky 400WR, 86 Honda CR125R, 80 Can-Am MX6 400, 75 Husky 360CR, 75 Husky 175CC, 73 Penton Jackpiner 175, 72 Husky 250CR, 72 Husky 125, 72 Rickman-Zundapp 125, (2) 71 Bultaco Pursang Mk

Offline EJ

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
Good post, you are correct about the sanctioning bodies and the rule makers.
A few high ranked bosses and a small group of influential men, they can change it.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
No-o-o-o!  Don't make me get rid of my CR500 :'( :'( :'(

CR500's are exempt from any boycott. ;D

Definitely X2! Don't sell your CR500!

If anyone can come up with a good idea on how to boycott the AMA, then I'm all ears. I think boycotting or having anything to do with the AMA or Youthstream is useless IMO. Honda hasn't done anything but paid the AMA officials, and threatened to pull out of the series. Feld is just using the AMA rules, and I get the feeling they could care less. Youthstream is also piggybacking off of the AMA. Ultimately the AMA is controlled by the OEMs.

Davey Coombs even said that he just couldn't endorse a proposed rule change in an industry meeting or even bring it up - that it would be too much for them, and that the OEMs had no interest in it. Of course we know that the industry already knows about the petition and the proposed rule change.

So, the AMA is a dead end. The only thing that will bring a change is something outside of the AMA rulebook. Races like the Monster Cup, and 2-stroke Nationals are what will bring about the change.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:40:14 PM by burn1986 »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 10:58:58 PM »
Honda hasn't done anything but paid the AMA officials, and threatened to pull out of the series.

Let them.

Honda play's the same card all the time.
MotoGP/Indycars/MX.

I say call their bluff and see how long Honda's managment last seeing Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki on the podium all the time.

Offline burn1986

• Professional
  • 1986 best year for CRs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Well, one of the problems with the AMA is that one of their officials (DC) makes his livelihood from the outdoors series, so if Honda pulled out, then he would lose money. So, I think you can see the conflict of interest. He has to keep them pleased, otherwise he loses his series (and kickbacks I would imagine).

Offline bearorso

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »
What would you prefer, DC's company running the Nationals, or Youthstream, or worse, DMG themselves running them? Anyone remember the bloke from DMG saying that the Nationals could be run in the middle of Super Speedways?

Yes, DC makes money from running the Nationals, but I believe he has far more real feeling for our sport than the other alternatives. Accusing him of taking kickbacks sure as hell isn't going to make him amenable to our cause.

The lead law has just been overcome.

DC cited that as a priority far above equivalency. Yes , it was, as we need riders to keep coming into the sport. None of us are getting any younger.

Now, perhaps, he might just stand up to Honda, and the other companies that are against equivalency. I've always taken DCs 'it's not fair', as him having a sarcastic dig at the people against equivalency, as it is the sort of thing trotted out by them, that they seem to not realise is condemning 4ts as being inferior (despite, usually, those same people ranting on about how much better they are).

Check out the interview with the boss of Honda, in Cycle News recently - he emphasizes very much how happy they are with the current rules, almost put as a thinly veiled threat. They are still wildly pissed off with DMGs messing with the AMA Pro Road Racing rules. If Honda pull out, who the hell cares? They, Honda, can't  'ban' the use of Hondas (they certainly can stop any parts deals etc for riders / satellite teams, that could force riders / teams to other bikes). They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Equivalency would make bugger-all difference to the results, for a few years,  as the sport / teams / riders is/are  so 4t oriented. But it might just lead to renewed development and sales for 2ts. It always amuses me when you point out to 4t fanatics, that it did take some time / years for the 4ts to dominate, and a fair few years for all manufacturers to market 4ts. Honda - CRF450 - 2002, 4 years after Yamaha's YZF, and Suzuki and Kawasaki even later than that. 250 4ts, did not suddenly spring out of the primeval goop, in one rush.

The same thing would happen with 2ts, I'd  think.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:42:48 AM by bearorso »

Offline TMKIWI

• Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 06:05:30 AM »
X2 bearorso.